Transfers heating up...as needed

18in32

Petard Hoister
And no one is being forced out of GT. These players are making a personal decision to not sit the bench.
I hope this is true – but I don't think we really know what kind of pressure is being applied to the transfers.

txsting

Elite level sh*tposting
Way to go out on a limb there considering we have about 600 of them.
Do we really have that many that are candidates to leave? I've flipped through the roster multiple times, and the best guess for me that may think about leaving would be Gantt among scholarship A-backs. The B-Backs / traditional tailbacks have more opportunities now that we have some two-back sets. Maybe Jair would think about it too considering how deep we look all of a sudden at WR. I'm having a hard time finding other guys that would perhaps find themselves too deep on the depth chart.

Ish

Dodd-Like
we've had smaller teams' coaches attend our practices as sort of a scouting combine for players who might transfer

18in32

Petard Hoister
What kind of 'pressure' could be applied? You're going to sit the bench. That's about it. What do you think CGC is going to do? Lock them in a room like Mike Leach did Adam James?
You really are a different person in this forum. Cuz here our roles are reversed and I'm the one telling you that's pretty naive. There are all sorts of ways that coaches can push players to quit. The way they speak to them, they attitude towards them they encourage other players to have, etc. There are a thousand little interactions that coaches and players have all the time that can be tweaked to silently imply, "I wish you weren't here." I hope our coaches aren't doing that – and I have no reason to believe they are.

As to that woman's Tweet, this is very much the kind of thing where protective friends and relatives might act as if kids are being 'pushed out' when in fact they're just disappointed their friend/relative wasn't quite good enough to get 'above the line.' That's a pretty common human reaction.

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like
You really are a different person in this forum. Cuz here our roles are reversed and I'm the one telling you that's pretty naive. There are all sorts of ways that coaches can push players to quit. The way they speak to them, they attitude towards them they encourage other players to have, etc. There are a thousand little interactions that coaches and players have all the time that can be tweaked to silently imply, "I wish you weren't here." I hope our coaches aren't doing that – and I have no reason to believe they are.

As to that woman's Tweet, this is very much the kind of thing where protective friends and relatives might act as if kids are being 'pushed out' when in fact they're just disappointed their friend/relative wasn't quite good enough to get 'above the line.' That's a pretty common human reaction.
I think that in the vast majority of cases, letting a kid know where he stands will be enough. Who wants to get up at 5am, run every step in Bobby Dodd, give relentless effort until failure, etc. with no possibility of seeing the field.

sthorfinnr

We The Vanguard Stockholders

I realize what you are saying in your first paragraph happens. Thus the Mike Leach comment. I don't get the impression Coach Collins would encourage that. First of all, he honored a lot of commits in the 2019 class that weren't his picks, unlike the Louisville coach who cleaned house, and he's been pretty good about letting some of these guys showcase themselves before other coaches in the Spring. Time will tell. CGC has no history I know of being a jerk that way, and he is very upfront about his 'Competition is King' motto.

Second of all, I don't know what a few posters think is being accomplished by bringing up what 'person' I am or have been in other forums. It seems like typical a-hole Antifa leftist behavior to shame and drive people off to 'control' discourse (very collectivist and un-American), and it aint going to work with me. I've learned to use the 'ignore'. I take each person's comment as just that . . . one comment related to that particular subject. In a society built on the respect of individual personal freedom, people have to take this approach for liberty to work. The great irony is that these Superlibs don't realize they wouldn't even exist in this country without a tolerance for free expression and diversity of opinion. Unpopular speech is free speech.

Last edited:

18in32

Petard Hoister
I think that in the vast majority of cases, letting a kid know where he stands will be enough. Who wants to get up at 5am, run every step in Bobby Dodd, give relentless effort until failure, etc. with no possibility of seeing the field.
Well, a lot of walk-on's want to. I wouldn't want to do it either, but I admire their desire to be part of a team and to contribute however they can, and to choose a great education over more playing time.

18in32

Petard Hoister
I realize what you are saying in your first paragraph happens. Thus the Mike Leach comment. I don't get the impression Coach Collins would encourage that. First of all, he honored a lot of commits in the 2019 class that weren't his picks, unlike the Louisville coach who cleaned house, and he's been pretty good about letting some of these guys showcase themselves before other coaches in the Spring. Time will tell. CGC has no history I know of being a jerk that way, and he is very upfront about his 'Competition is King' motto.
Agreed!
Second of all, I don't know what a few posters think is being accomplished by bringing up what 'person' I am or have been in other forums. It seems like typical a-hole Antifa leftist behavior to shame and drive people off to 'control' discourse (very collectivist and un-American), and it aint going to work with me. I've learned to use the 'ignore'. I take each person's comment as just that . . . one comment related to that particular subject. In a society built on the respect of individual personal freedom, people have to take this approach for liberty to work. The great irony is that these Superlibs don't realize they wouldn't even exist in this country without a tolerance for free expression and diversity of opinion. Unpopular speech is free speech.
What is accomplished is communication among humans – humor, recognition, irony, argument, etc. It ain't no different from any of the other characterizations that occur on this site.

And the fact that you would claim that my pointing out the irony of you taking things at face value when it comes to CGC, but adamantly not taking things at face value in a host of ways in the N&P forum, is "typical a-hole Antifa leftist behavior to shame and drive people off to 'control' discourse (very collectivist and un-American)" – just perfectly typifies the very behavior we're all commenting on!

Hey, you've got some outlier opinions. You can't both publicly and vocally insist on that, and simultaneously complain when people recognize you for it.

GTCrew

Patrick Henry
Well, I agree with you with a caveat. If a scholarship player is giving it 100% and cant get ATL that is one thing, but if a scholarship player below the line is clearly not giving 100% then I'm not sure we should feel obligated to continue to carry dead weight. Both parties need to give or neither party needs to give.

18in32

Petard Hoister
Well, I agree with you with a caveat. If a scholarship player is giving it 100% and cant get ATL that is one thing, but if a scholarship player below the line is clearly not giving 100% then I'm not sure we should feel obligated to continue to carry dead weight. Both parties need to give or neither party needs to give.
For sure

AmpuTECHture

Drain Lake Powell
What kind of 'pressure' could be applied? You're going to sit the bench. That's about it. What do you think CGC is going to do? Lock them in a room like Mike Leach did Adam James?
Mike Leach never locked up Adam James. People need to stop perpetuating these myths.