Triple Option

This is the first year that the option worked well at Auburn. Why would anyone negatively recruit against a team that didn't win a single SEC game last year? That's why I said it's too early to tell. You, on the other hand, want to jump to a conclusion.

They didn't run this type of option the past 2 years after Malzahn left. They did run it in 2010 with a little guy named Cam Newton, and I recall that being fairly successful. And recruits seemed to be wanting to go play in it during/after the Newton year.

I will 100% guarantee you Auburn ends up with a top 10 class this year, as well as next year.

This is the first year that the option worked well at Auburn. Why would anyone negatively recruit against a team that didn't win a single SEC game last year? That's why I said it's too early to tell. You, on the other hand, want to jump to a conclusion.

IIRC, the option worked well at Auburn when they ran it out of the wishbone with Bo Jackson and Lionel James in the backfield. Also, IIRC, no pro teams ran the wishbone then.

Option based football + top 10 talent = national title appearance
Option based football + top 80 talent = music city bowl

Btw, if we maintain our current progress in recruiting (top 40ish), we should see significant improvements in record and bowl invites.

do you mean a 3/0 with zone blocking instead of assigned blocking?

Nope. They pull one or two linemen and then the QB reads the reaction of the defense. If the defense reacts fast in the direction of the pulling linemen (reading keys), the QB may simply give the ball to the running back and he will cut back in the opposite direction of the defensive flow. If the defense is "playing their responsibilities, the QB will give the ball to the RB who will then pick his seam based upon how his linemen are blocking. Both the QB and the RB are "reading" the defense. They can go left or right or up the middle on any play or pass and the defense never knows what is coming. This is much different than what we do.

If you can go back and watch the Auburn vs Mizzo game take time to watch what the OL is doing and what happens in the backfield. It is much different from what we do.

Auburn also got some great blocking on the outside on those jet sweeps. Our WRs and A-Backs should watch that tape for tips on how to do it.
I thought that is what we have coaches for.

Maybe, but that's not the killer instinct we had in 2008/2009. I hate prevent offense as much as defense. Keep scoring and put the pressure on them.
My take is that he had confidence in his offense when he was playing players recruited by Gailey against defenses inexperienced playing his system. Times have changed and he knows it, just trying to hang on as long as he can, sucking that titty dry.

part of the recruiting is the two different schools and the circumstances of each school.

however, another large part is the fact that Malzahn can show kids film of his offense doing NFL stuff, namely, the OL are not constantly belly flopping on the ground in front of defenders.
Plus Malzahn adjusts his offenses to the talent he has. Unfortunately, our coach cannot or does not choose to do this and neither can he recruit the talent required to win against top notch teams. Our best offensive player this year was a walk on undersized RB.
BTW, I just learned today that Georgia and Auburn have bass fishing teams. I wonder if they are NCAA sanctioned?

Our best offensive player this year was a walk on undersized RB.

Auburn's best offensive player this year was a converted defensive back JUCO transfer.

Look, I can play that game too!

BTW, I just learned today that Georgia and Auburn have bass fishing teams. I wonder if they are NCAA sanctioned?

No idea if you're serious, but no. They are club sports.

Back