Triple Option

Godsey ran one triple option play and now the 2000 team was an option-based offense...

I was at the game Beej. He ran towards the endzone in which I was seated. I know he ran the play. And I know that was the only one he ran that day.

Malzahn's offense is clearly the reason for Auburn's recruiting success. If only we had his offense everyone would want to go to Tech. :rolleyes:

Godsey ran one triple option play and now the 2000 team was an option-based offense...

I was at the game Beej. He ran towards the endzone in which I was seated. I know he ran the play. And I know that was the only one he ran that day.

GT ran that look 3 times that day, and GT ran that look half a dozen times in every game that year - double TE with a WR in motion as the pitch. We ran 3O field side, 3O boundary side. We ran the dive. Kelley Campbell ran a TD in off the same look on an end-around vs NC State in 2000. All off the same triple option look. And the film on all of those plays is why UGA bit on the motion in the video, they were motioning their LBs to the field to deal with the overload.

The media used to ask Ralph about running option with Goose like every effing week. It was always in the newspapers about how RF would keep running option with Goose even though he wasn't a break away guy, and he always said he did it for schematic reasons, to force the other team to account for it.

Now, either you weren't paying attention that year, which is fine, or you're intentionally forgetting all the 3O we used to run with Godsey, in which case you're an ass. Either way, take your effing medicine and shut the hell up. The revisionist history BS is weak sauce.

Nobody can intentionally forget something.

In 2000 Godsey ran for 39 yards. 33 of it came on that one keeper. Must have been sacked a heck of a lot.

Having option principles in your offense, IMO, does not mean you run an option-based running offense.

And trying to be a tough guy doesn't suit you well.

He never got more than ten yards, and he'd only keep a couple times a game, dive a couple, pitch a couple. Most non-scrambling passing QBs end the year with significant negative yards, because their sacks aren't offset. Doesn't matter, point is the option was A) still in the offense (it was the same offense as 98 and 99) and B) set up the run because UGA overpursued what they saw on tape.

The only times we've ever beaten Georgia in my lifetime was when we featured some form of option ground attack.

He never got more than ten yards, and he'd only keep a couple times a game, dive a couple, pitch a couple. Most non-scrambling passing QBs end the year with significant negative yards, because their sacks aren't offset. Doesn't matter, point is the option was A) still in the offense (it was the same offense as 98 and 99) and B) set up the run because UGA overpursued what they saw on tape.

The only times we've ever beaten Georgia in my lifetime was when we featured some form of effective option ground attack.

fify

I don't think it is better from a scheme standpoint. I think he has better skill players and a better oline. Our line gets exposed when we play quality defenses. His does not. We had a fine tuned machine like he has got back in 08 and 09 but we don't have the players or the line. I think he may be a cater teacher at what he is doing too by how well they play in first year with tough schedule.
Hopefully these bigger linemen and Custis can change some of the negative things I just said.
Funny to how you don't hear people say auburn will have trouble recruiting for it like you always hear at tech.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

I don't think it is better from a scheme standpoint. I think he has better skill players and a better oline. Our line gets exposed when we play quality defenses. His does not. We had a fine tuned machine like he has got back in 08 and 09 but we don't have the players or the line. I think he may be a cater teacher at what he is doing too by how well they play in first year with tough schedule.
Hopefully these bigger linemen and Custis can change some of the negative things I just said.
Funny to how you don't hear people say auburn will have trouble recruiting for it like you always hear at tech.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

The recruiting piece is yet to be seen. Malzahn isn't on his own recruits yet. We were positive that things would only get better after 2009 when CPJ got "his" players into "his" system.

The recruiting piece is yet to be seen. Malzahn isn't on his own recruits yet. We were positive that things would only get better after 2009 when CPJ got "his" players into "his" system.

His current commitment list is looking pretty decent, including the #2 RB in the country, who has offers from everyone.

His current commitment list is looking pretty decent, including the #2 RB in the country, who has offers from everyone.

We'll see, Satan and the rest of the SEC haven't turned on the negative recruiting yet because they didn't see Auburn as a threat. Now they do. They'll start making the argument that it doesn't get offensive linemen, wide receivers, and quarterbacks to the NFL.

We'll see, Satan and the rest of the SEC haven't turned on the negative recruiting yet because they didn't see Auburn as a threat. Now they do. They'll start making the argument that it doesn't get offensive linemen, wide receivers, and quarterbacks to the NFL.

I'm pretty sure that's not really going to work when Malzahn can point to a national title game appearance, possible victory, and SEC Championship. They'll finish with a top 10 class and likely have them moving forward.

I'm pretty sure that's not really going to work when Malzahn can point to a national title game appearance, possible victory, and SEC Championship. They'll finish with a top 10 class and likely have them moving forward.

It worked well after they actually won the title a few years ago. Check your logic because the last couple of years at Auburn weren't very good. That's why they have a different coach.

The Auburn option is a lot more dynamic than ours. We call a play and block it as called with the QB reading the defensive player left alone.

Auburn calls a play and pulls linemen and the QB and RB are reading defensive flow and defensive reaction to flow and how defensive players react to the blocking.

They line up deep in the spread, have their offensive line take wide splits to spread the defense and then go. It is almost like running a kickoff return on every play with the added threat of the defensive having to worry about the QB keeping or throwing.

IMO our TO is much easier to defend.

It worked well after they actually won the title a few years ago. Check your logic because the last couple of years at Auburn weren't very good. That's why they have a different coach.
Doubt that it was because of poor recruiting. Since those are the recruits who are who are now playing for a national championship.

Was Mizzouri's defense really more talented than UNC's from 2 years ago? Or Ugag's from 3 years ago? For an offense to score 50 points on a team, it shouldn't lead to all of these absolute conclusions by so many (just like an offense that scores 7 against one team shouldn't). Look at Oregon's offense. It has killed the majority of their opponents, but it also got shut down a few times. And, that's with top recruits.

I think Malzahn's offense is obviously excellent overall, but I also think CPJ's is and comparing the 2 from looking at 1 game is dumb in itself, let alone looking at the different players running those offenses.

The Auburn option is a lot more dynamic than ours. We call a play and block it as called with the QB reading the defensive player left alone.

Auburn calls a play and pulls linemen and the QB and RB are reading defensive flow and defensive reaction to flow and how defensive players react to the blocking.

They line up deep in the spread, have their offensive line take wide splits to spread the defense and then go. It is almost like running a kickoff return on every play with the added threat of the defensive having to worry about the QB keeping or throwing.

IMO our TO is much easier to defend.

do you mean a 3/0 with zone blocking instead of assigned blocking?

our option is the one they ran in the movie school ties.

the auburn / etc offense is much more 2013

Auburn's Rivals recruiting rankings since they won the 2010 season national title:

2011 - 7th
2012 - 10th
2013 - 8th
2014 (projected) - 8th

If that is evidence that negative recruiting "worked"...then how good would their classes be without that?

Auburn had been bad the last two years because of horrible coaching. They brought in a coach who knew what he was doing and he was able to take that top 10 talent and win with it. I'm struggling to see your point, if there even is one.

Auburn's Rivals recruiting rankings since they won the 2010 season national title:

2011 - 7th
2012 - 10th
2013 - 8th
2014 (projected) - 8th

If that is evidence that negative recruiting "worked"...then how good would their classes be without that?

Auburn had been bad the last two years because of horrible coaching. They brought in a coach who knew what he was doing and he was able to take that top 10 talent and win with it. I'm struggling to see your point, if there even is one.

This is the first year that the option worked well at Auburn. Why would anyone negatively recruit against a team that didn't win a single SEC game last year? That's why I said it's too early to tell. You, on the other hand, want to jump to a conclusion.

Back