Triple Option

I did hope that CPJ watched and was inspired by the Auburn offense. It certainly shows that a spread option attack with an emphasis on the ground game can be successful at the highest level. Perhaps the game has evolved to the place that the shot gun and one back using the read option should be the bread and butter play of the offense rather than the A-backs, B-back, QB under center set we use to run mid-line and option as our offense's mainstay. You can move WR's, hybrid RB's/WR's, blocking backs and tight ends in multiple formations to make the offense difficult to figure out. And, you can run option with OL blocking more conventionally as opposed to firing out low and cutting almost every play.

The more our offense evolves toward what Malzahn runs at Auburn or what Urban runs at Ohio State, the easier it will be to recruit higher quality offensive players at every position. CPJ has a great mind as a spread option coach. I believe he needs to show an equal aptitude for evolving his offense's concepts.

The Auburn offense is what you get with 4*'s and 5*'s doing the running and perimeter blocking vs. 2*'s and 3*'s. Many plays had the same mesh read, but if the read was correct, you could drive a Mack truck through the opening in the middle.

They finished one game ahead of us in the conference standings. Playing NC State instead of Clemson accounts for that pretty easily.

Then playing Navy and Troy OOC instead of BYU and UGA, and boom you're at 10 wins instead of 7.

This.

Even with a Clemson loss that Duke didn't have to face, we were still one play away from the ACCCG this year.

The Auburn offense is what you get with 4*'s and 5*'s doing the running and perimeter blocking vs. 2*'s and 3*'s. Many plays had the same mesh read, but if the read was correct, you could drive a Mack truck through the opening in the middle.

This seems more right to me. However, I think the biggest difference in success is qb play. CPJ's offense is better than Malzahn's.

A lot of fail in this thread imo. If georgie bats down that 4th and 18 prayer, allbarn would've scored 37 pts in 12 drives, or barely over 3 pts per drive. We scored 27 in 9 drives, or 3ppd. We were basically as efficient scoring against Georgie as the offense playing for the mnc.

And IF my grandmother had testicles, she would have been my grandfather.

We are nowhere near the same class as Auburn....offensively, defensively, or special teams. Stop. Just stop.

Mason and Marshall were 4 stars. They signed a 5 star OT this year, but I don't think he is contributing all that much yet. And rest of the offense is 4 stars or lower.

Now for '14, they have a 5 star RB and a 5 star WR coming in. Good luck Todd Grantham. :hsugh:

Now for '14, they have a 5 star RB and a 5 star WR coming in. Good luck Todd Grantham. :hsugh:

I guess this first play is how you get 5 stars:

[y]QfQCwK2_EYU[/y]

We are nowhere near the same class as Auburn....offensively, defensively, or special teams. Stop. Just stop.
So the likelihood of Auburn knocking down a hail Mary is equal to the likelihood of your grandmother having testicles? Holy öööö, dude, must have been aweful funny sitting on Meemaw's lap as a toddler. :rolleyes:

Mason and Marshall were 4 stars. They signed a 5 star OT this year, but I don't think he is contributing all that much yet. And rest of the offense is 4 stars or lower.

So they have a team where 4*'s is the norm and they performed against Ugag almost identically as a team where 3*'s is the norm? Something doesn't jive here.

So they have a team where 4*'s is the norm and they performed against Ugag almost identically as a team where 3*'s is the norm? Something doesn't jive here.

you're omission of the Aaron Murray-less team the team of 3*'s played that directly lead to 7 of their points.

Mason played well in the end but he definitely started out with jitters.

By footballoutsiders' opponent adjusted rankings, Aubie is 17 in defense while GT is 53. So, you're right that there's no comparison there.

However, also according to footballoutsiders opponent-adjusted rankings, Aubie has the #14 offense while GT is #22. Given the difference in talent, I think you'd have to be a complete anti-homer to deny our offensive scheme is better.

Also 1st Half against the same opponent, two weeks apart:
Aub: FG, Rush TD, FG, Rush TD, 36 yd FG missed, Rush TD (52 plays, 347 yds, 6.67 yds/play for 27 pts)

GT: Rush TD, FG, Pass TD, FG, Punt (from 49), Int (40 plays, 299 yds, 9.97 yds/play for 20pts)

2nd Half
Aubie: Rush TD, Punt, FG, Punt, Punt, Pass TD (35 plays, 219 yds, 6.26 yds/play for 16 pts) Now, I know you think that the tip TD is evidence of Malzahn's genius, but some don't. If that pass were incomplete, Aubie would have had 146 yds in 35 plays or 4.17 yds/play

GT: FG missed, Pass TD, Int, Punt (32 plays, 157 yds, 4.91 yds/play for 7 pts)

In other words, apart from that one play, GT was comparable to Aubie in pts/drive and yards/play against georgie.

So, I gave you opponent-adjusted stats for the season and same opponent stats for the end of the season to show that our offenses are comparably efficient even given the differences in talent. Please, oh wise one, who can declare from on high that we are no where in the same class as Aubie offensively, what's your basis for that claim? We who should stop, just stop, eagerly await your wisdom.

In utilizing dominant talent to score lots of points, I pick Gus's. In the gadgetry necessary to beat superior opponents with scheme, I take CPJ's.

yet, we have beaten no superior opponents.

By footballoutsiders' opponent adjusted rankings, Aubie is 17 in defense while GT is 53. So, you're right that there's no comparison there.

However, also according to footballoutsiders opponent-adjusted rankings, Aubie has the #14 offense while GT is #22. Given the difference in talent, I think you'd have to be a complete anti-homer to deny our offensive scheme is better.

Also 1st Half against the same opponent, two weeks apart:
Aub: FG, Rush TD, FG, Rush TD, 36 yd FG missed, Rush TD (52 plays, 347 yds, 6.67 yds/play for 27 pts)

GT: Rush TD, FG, Pass TD, FG, Punt (from 49), Int (40 plays, 299 yds, 9.97 yds/play for 20pts)

2nd Half
Aubie: Rush TD, Punt, FG, Punt, Punt, Pass TD (35 plays, 219 yds, 6.26 yds/play for 16 pts) Now, I know you think that the tip TD is evidence of Malzahn's genius, but some don't. If that pass were incomplete, Aubie would have had 146 yds in 35 plays or 4.17 yds/play

GT: FG missed, Pass TD, Int, Punt (32 plays, 157 yds, 4.91 yds/play for 7 pts)

In other words, apart from that one play, GT was comparable to Aubie in pts/drive and yards/play against georgie.

So, I gave you opponent-adjusted stats for the season and same opponent stats for the end of the season to show that our offenses are comparably efficient even given the differences in talent. Please, oh wise one, who can declare from on high that we are no where in the same class as Aubie offensively, what's your basis for that claim? We who should stop, just stop, eagerly await your wisdom.

Here's my stat for you:
Auburn is #2 in the country.
We haven't been ranked in the top 25 in 2 years.
Hell, it's been so long, I've forgotten so I went back and looked. We made an appearance at #23 in 2011 before UGA beat us. We haven't sniffed the top 25 since then.

Game.Set.Match.

Now go play with your statistics elsewhere.

Here's my stat for you:
We haven't been ranked in the top 25 in over 2 years...maybe 3 or more. Hell, it's been so long, I've forgotten.
Game.Set.Match.

Way to be retarded about it. The fact of the matter is that Auburn's TO really doesn't outperform us by that much, despite their superior athletes. People just don't know how to prep for them (much like teams against us in '08/'09). Those stats against a common opponent are great, they show just how well our offense can perform in comparison to Auburn's (pretty öööö well - actually better in both halves when you take out the miracle tipped pass).

Here's my stat for you:
We haven't been ranked in the top 25 in 2 years.
Hell, it's been so long, I've forgotten so I went back and looked. We made an appearance at #23 in 2011 before UGA beat us. We haven't sniffed the top 25 since then.

Game.Set.Match.

Auburn was ranked #25 in the preseason poll in 2012. Before going 3-9 with wins against AA&M, NMSU, and ULM (in OT). Yeah, rankings are the be all end all...

Auburn's offense is just hard to compare with GTs. They run on similar schematic principles but have drastic differences ideologically. Auburn runs a hurry-up that puts pressure on both the opponent's defense and their own. They often get big yards because the other defense doesn't have time to sub or even get set every time. They run plays faster and get more possessions which leads to higher point totals. This also leads to a more fatigued Auburn give up huge point totals (like against Missouri).

GTs is meant to control the ball/clock and therefore the game. The only offensive stat that can accurately compare these two offenses is points/pos (which some have alluded to) but that doesn't account for how it affects the rest of the game. I'd rather have an offense with an average drive of 12 plays, 50 yards, 4:00 min and 3.5 pts/pos than 6 plays, 50 yards, 1:30 min, and 3.5 pts/pos.

Also "game set match?" lol wut?

Back