Twelve Team Playoff question

thegtstunner08

Earl of Cheap Seats and Cold Pizza
1. Is there a thread already?

2. Do we know how it's going to work yet? I have not heard boo about it, and I would think they (the committee) would already have published the plan for qualifying, which bowl games, elimination, etc.

Anyone know a timetable for this info?

1. Not sure if a thread somewhere...

2. Format for this year: 5-12 seeds play in first round on higher seeds campus. Criteria was supposed to be Six conference champions and Six at-large but they are debating going to 5 conference Champions and 7 at-large (sorry Pac-12). That should be finalized soon.

First round (one-campus games)

• Friday, Dec. 20 (one game)
  • Saturday, Dec. 21 (three games)
Quarterfinals

• Tuesday, Dec. 31 (Fiesta Bowl)
  • Wednesday, Jan. 1 (Peach Bowl, Rose Bowl, Sugar Bowl)
Semifinals

• Thursday, Jan. 9 (Orange Bowl)
  • Friday, Jan. 10 (Cotton Bowl)
Championship

• Monday, Jan. 20 (CFP national championship) (IN ATLANTA)

2. Format for this year: 5-12 seeds play in first round on higher seeds campus. Criteria was supposed to be Six conference champions and Six at-large but they are debating going to 5 conference Champions and 7 at-large (sorry Pac-12). That should be finalized soon.

Quarterfinals

Semifinals

Championship

Thanks, I appreciate the info :)

Looking forward to seeing how many years in the twelve team playoff it will take for two SEC teams to meet in the first game. In the four team playoff both times SEC had two teams they did not meet in the semifinals.

This will need to expand to sixteen quickly. If the four teams with byes are off from early December until New Year’s and have to play a very good team that shook off the rust by playing the week before in round one there will be a lot of upsets. Any coach of a top four team would rather play a 13-16 team at home to get into the quarterfinals.

Quarterfinals

Semifinals

Championship

We never win in Atlanta, that sucks.

5 conference
This will need to expand to sixteen quickly. If the four teams with byes are off from early December until New Year’s and have to play a very good team that shook off the rust by playing the week before in round one there will be a lot of upsets. Any coach of a top four team would rather play a 13-16 team at home to get into the quarterfinals.
I already think 12 is nuts, you don't need 16. #1 is probably favored over #16 by 3 TDs. I mean, we all saw what #1 did to #2. I think 6 was the perfect number.

5 conference

I already think 12 is nuts, you don't need 16. #1 is probably favored over #16 by 3 TDs. I mean, we all saw what #1 did to #2. I think 6 was the perfect number.
The whole point is to see the relative strength of conferences and teams. We THOUGHT Washington was the second best team. Turns out they weren’t. Hence why you invite all conference champs and fill out the rest with at large. The big conferences keep wanting to redefine it as “the best teams” but end of season championship tournaments are always about determining a champion.

The whole point is to see the relative strength of conferences and teams. We THOUGHT Washington was the second best team. Turns out they weren’t. Hence why you invite all conference champs and fill out the rest with at large. The big conferences keep wanting to redefine it as “the best teams” but end of season championship tournaments are always about determining a champion.
That's a fair argument. I just think people see too many similarities between football and basketball, like the little guy has a chance to win. What would Washington have done to a team like Troy in a playoff game? Troy handled themselves well against the likes of Duke, okay, but still got pushed around. Obviously, we saw what happened to Liberty when they played an Oregon team that didn't give a damn about the game. I'm all for more games, but they have to make sense.

Thing is, a wider bracket probably involves less faceoffs between conferences and more teams from the same conferences getting in and facing each other. Related to what GTsapper said, it's not gonna be more Troy's, Liberty's and (current conference) SMU's; it'll be UGA's and Oregon's and Ole Miss.

Thing is, a wider bracket probably involves less faceoffs between conferences and more teams from the same conferences getting in and facing each other. Related to what GTsapper said, it's not gonna be more Troy's, Liberty's and (current conference) SMU's; it'll be UGA's and Oregon's and Ole Miss.
I recognize that as everyone appears to want the expanded field that is accurate. My preference would be emphasizing all conference champions getting in. It would lead to less conference consolidation and a better spread of power. Keeping the beauty contest encourages all the best teams to go to massive conferences.

I recognize that as everyone appears to want the expanded field that is accurate. My preference would be emphasizing all conference champions getting in. It would lead to less conference consolidation and a better spread of power. Keeping the beauty contest encourages all the best teams to go to massive conferences.
Will never happen but I agree. Should go to 16 teams and just give the top 4 teams a G5 team in their opener. It’s good for the game when everyone feels like they have a shot. The committee can still pack a bracket with SEC and B10 teams, while opening the door for others to play in the mud too. There’s no reason to be so exclusionary — it will hurt CFB long term as they narrow the aperture on whom they allow to compete.

which is going to create more rematches from the regular season games, which is how those conference champions were determined in the first place, then ratings will fall, and in 10-15 years we'll be back to a 2 team championship, SEC champ vs B1G champ.

It's also really weird that doing better means you miss out on home game revenue and the chance for local fans to attend easily. Don't think any other sport works that way.

which is going to create more rematches from the regular season games, which is how those conference champions were determined in the first place, then ratings will fall, and in 10-15 years we'll be back to a 2 team championship, SEC champ vs B1G champ.
Not with the money driven by 12. No other expanded playoff scenario, college or pro in any sport, has ever shrunk back. With the possible exception of the Ukrainian futbol playoffs last year.

Zero chance but get your point on rematches and unintended consequences. Real question is will the committee move a team from 11 to 12 in the final rankings to avoid rematches…or swap a 3 and 4 seed to keep Alabama and Ugag … or Ohio state and Michigan in opposite halves. I think that’s possible.

It’s gonna expand well past 12 and 16 teams. The ratings and market are there right now. You guys say a #16 vs. #1 will be a bad game, yet we’ve been watching and they’ve been televising horrible bowl games for decades.

TV (and in the future streaming) needs inventory and playoff games, no matter how lopsided, will bring inventory and ratings. Look at our bowl game - 2 average run of the mill .500 teams and yet that game was on national TV and our fanbase ate it up. Now, imagine that being a playoff game.

And opt outs and injuries will be huge for the factories trying to win a 24 or 32 team playoff. How would Washington fare if they had to play a game this Saturday with a RB who can’t move laterally and a QB that could barely walk after the last game. The same thing happened to FSU with Travis. It’s gonna be awesome.

1. Is there a thread already?

2. Do we know how it's going to work yet? I have not heard boo about it, and I would think they (the committee) would already have published the plan for qualifying, which bowl games, elimination, etc.

Anyone know a timetable for this info?
As things currently stand, six automatic berths will be granted to the six highest-rated conference champions, as determined by the playoff committee rankings. The final six spots will go to the next six highest-rated teams. (However, as reported by Yahoo Sports, the CFP committee is expected to formally adopt a "5+7" model with the Pac-12's dispanding, one in which the top five conference champions and seven at-larges make it).

One of the most interesting and exciting wrinkles of the 12-team format will be that it will feature one of the most cherished aspects of college football: games played on campus in front of passionate, sold-out home crowds. Beginning with the quarterfinals, bowls will be involved in much the same way they are now, with a particular bowl game and site serving as the venue for the contest. The same will hold true for the semifinals.

College Football Playoff dates 2024

First round (on-campus games)
Quarterfinals
Semifinals
National championship
  • Monday, Jan. 20 (Mercedes-Benz Stadium, Atlanta)

College Football Playoff dates 2025

First round (on-campus games)
  • Friday, Dec. 19 (one game)
  • Saturday, Dec. 20 (three games)
Quarterfinals
  • Wednesday, Dec. 31 (Cotton Bowl)
  • Thursday, Jan. 1 (Orange Bowl, Rose Bowl, Sugar Bowl)
Semifinals
  • Thursday, Jan. 8 (Fiesta Bowl)
  • Friday, Jan. 9 (Peach Bowl)
National championship
  • Monday, Jan. 19 (Hard Rock Stadium, Miami Gardens, Florida)

Back