Twelve Team Playoff question

Going forward the ACC champ will not be left out in a 12 team CFP. Nor will any ACC team who goes 11-1 and plays a tough schedule. The ACC has a chance for 2-3 spots a year just like every other league.
i wouldnt put money on an 11-1 acc non conference champion making it in. all 10-2 sec and big teams would make it in first. take this year for example, 10-3 loserville acc runner up landed at #15. even at 10-1 before they lost to kentucky they were barely in at #10. skip the kentucky loss, and eventual loss to FSU in acc champ game, they'd still be out.

i wouldnt put money on an 11-1 acc non conference champion making it in. all 10-2 sec and big teams would make it in first. take this year for example, 10-3 loserville acc runner up landed at #15. even at 10-1 before they lost to kentucky they were barely in at #10. skip the kentucky loss, and eventual loss to FSU in acc champ game, they'd still be out.
Going into rivalry week, here was the CFP Top 10. Who was UofL better than?

1. uga 11-0
2. Ohio State 11-0
3.Michigan 11-0
4. Washington 11-0
5. FSU 11-0
6. Oregon 10-1 (L - #4 Washington)
7. Texas 10-1 (L - #13 Oklahoma)
8. Alabama 10-1 (L - #7 Texas)
9. Mizzou 9-2 (L - #14 LSU, #1 uga)
10. Louisville ( L - 3-8 Pitt 38-21)

Louisville had by far the worst loss and in blowout fashion to a bad 3-9 final record Pitt team. Even with by far the worst loss of any Top 10 team, they would have been fine in 2024.

So I get your overall point, but UofL did cement their fait losing to a bad UK team. Had they won, UofL would have been 11-1 going into the ACC Championship. The close loss in the ACC Championship would have put them in the 2024 CFP giving the ACC 2 teams (FSU, UofL).

The real issue is this. Going into rivalry week, here are the 2 loss or less teams by conference.

ACC (2) - FSU, UofL
B12 (2) - Texas, OU
P12 (2) - Washington, Oregon
B1G (4) - tOSU, Michigan, PSU, Iowa
sec (4) - uga, Alabama, Mizzou, Ole Miss

Eye test at the time had most people not really believing in UofL, Iowa and Oklahoma that started to fade after beating Texas.

I don’t think that will be the case next year. Clemson, ND (I know not a real ACC team) will be a factor at the end of the year. Just let the season play itself out. The ACC as a conference needs to step up overall. How many more years are we going to hear that “Da U is back” or that UNC is ready to take the next step?

There is no way the ACC will get 2 teams in. None. They will simply rig it further out in the polls. It’s already started with the very early preseason polls for those who don’t pay attention until November. They will repress every team not in the SEC or BIG all season. It’s all rigged and Sankey does not hide that from us.

There is no way the ACC will get 2 teams in. None. They will simply rig it further out in the polls. It’s already started with the very early preseason polls for those who don’t pay attention until November. They will repress every team not in the SEC or BIG all season. It’s all rigged and Sankey does not hide that from us.
Simply not true at all. The ACC got 2 teams in the 4 team CFP. 2020 (COVID year ND was in the ACC) ND, Clemson.

Going forward the ACC champ will not be left out in a 12 team CFP. Nor will any ACC team who goes 11-1 and plays a tough schedule. The ACC has a chance for 2-3 spots a year just like every other league.
What happens when whatever groups make the rulings on that decides playing in the ACC isn't a tough schedule anymore? It's certainly been argued in the past and calling entire conferences weak schedules has been used against a lot of teams in the BCS and 4 team playoff times.

Simply not true at all. The ACC got 2 teams in the 4 team CFP. 2020 (COVID year ND was in the ACC) ND, Clemson.
You bringing up 2020 is like bringing up 1970. In case you haven’t noticed a lot has changed since 2020. There is no way under this 5+7 model that any league other than the SEC and BIG will be a part of the +7. Sankey isn’t that dumb not to rig the polls and committee. And acting like ND is part of the ACC is like believing Jim Phillips is a legit commissioner. It’s thinking like that that has caused the ACC to be relegated to 2nd class citizen status. I guess you’ll be shocked come December. ESPN (who runs this now) has already released its early pre-season poll and the top ACC team is at 16 (FSU) and #2 is at 19 (Clemson). The #2 team never be allowed ranked higher than 14. They’ll simply deploy the “weak conference” schedule to suppress them. They’ve been doing it for a long time but no one paid attention. Myself and a few others have been screaming about it for years which is why anyone with a brain who cares about GT’s sports future knows we gotta get out of this conference ASAP before we lose all appeal.

Does SMU get a full CFP share? There was talk that they would not.

Does SMU get a full CFP share? There was talk that they would not.
They do not.

The ACC is essentially being treated as a G5 conference now. Once the Big Ten and SEC demand unequal shares for them vs the ACC and Big XII it will be official.

I also strongly doubt the ACC will get a second team in most years. In most seasons it will be replaced with ND or the best G5 winner. If you go back through the historic conference winners and such it makes it clear how rare it would be.

What happens when whatever groups make the rulings on that decides playing in the ACC isn't a tough schedule anymore? It's certainly been argued in the past and calling entire conferences weak schedules has been used against a lot of teams in the BCS and 4 team playoff times.
That may happen at some point, but not right now. Jim Phillips needs to do his job and prevent a mass exodus once FSU does in fact leave. Until then, the ACC will have a shot at 2-3 teams a year if the ACC can get multiple 10+ win teams a year. That’s the key in all this. The league has to have multiple 10+ win teams in the 1st place.

ACC also needs to do their job and win a majority of OOC games against the B1G, sec, and B12. Look no further than weeks 1 & 2 next year.

Week 1:

UNC @ Minnesota
Clemson-uga @MBS
Miami @ UF
Stanford @ TCU

Week 2:

BYU @ SMU
Cal @ Auburn
Tennessee @ NCSU
Duke @ NW
Pitt @ Cincy

You bringing up 2020 is like bringing up 1970. In case you haven’t noticed a lot has changed since 2020. There is no way under this 5+7 model that any league other than the SEC and BIG will be a part of the +7. Sankey isn’t that dumb not to rig the polls and committee. And acting like ND is part of the ACC is like believing Jim Phillips is a legit commissioner. It’s thinking like that that has caused the ACC to be relegated to 2nd class citizen status. I guess you’ll be shocked come December. ESPN (who runs this now) has already released its early pre-season poll and the top ACC team is at 16 (FSU) and #2 is at 19 (Clemson). The #2 team never be allowed ranked higher than 14. They’ll simply deploy the “weak conference” schedule to suppress them. They’ve been doing it for a long time but no one paid attention. Myself and a few others have been screaming about it for years which is why anyone with a brain who cares about GT’s sports future knows we gotta get out of this conference ASAP before we lose all appeal.
Listen, you can venture down the path of “what if’s” and that’s fine. The reality is, no one knows what will happen until the games are played. The ACC is perceived “weak” because a majority of the league maxes out at 7 wins and loses big OOC games to the B1G, sec, etc. It’s going to be hard for any league to get more than 2 teams in when the 3rd place team finishes 9-3.

The conference thanks to Swafford is built with hoops first and foremost in an era where football is 100% king. You are 1,000% correct there.

FSU, Clemson in 2024 may or may not be Top 10 level next year. People think Clemson is on the “decline” and FSU lost a lot off the 13-1 team. But now ESPN is all of a sudden disrespecting them? After Clemson, FSU, it’s a guessing game.

Miami never meets media expectations, UNC folds starting in late October-early November, and UofL is using the Portal to fill key positions way too much. They didn’t exactly finish the season well either losing to UK, FSU with an 3rd string QB and a depleted USC team full of opt outs. NCSU is a solid program, but has a grand total of 1 season in their history with more than 9 wins (2002 with 11).

Add GT, VT, Pitt to the next tier. GT, VT finally appear to be on the upswing, while Pitt looks to be going the opposite direction.

Duke, Wake, BC, Syracuse are all extremely hard to figure out from one year to the next. UVA just sucks. Period.

Now add in SMU, Stanford and Cal. All 3 have potential to be good programs, with SMU having the $$$ and resources to make the next level jump, now that they are in the ACC.

It seems to me that with the new format at a minimum half the 12 teams will be made up of Big 10 & SEC teams. I hope I am wrong.....

It seems to me that with the new format at a minimum half the 12 teams will be made up of Big 10 & SEC teams. I hope I am wrong.....
When you consider that Oklahoma, Texas, Oregon, Southern Cal, and Washington are in that mix now you realize it’s more like 8. All the big name teams won’t play each other every year. And when they don’t or if they lose a couple games the corresponding SEC and Big Ten teams that beat them will be in the top 12. The ACC will only send 2 teams in the years we beat UGA is my guess. So about 3/10 years.

Listen, you can venture down the path of “what if’s” and that’s fine. The reality is, no one knows what will happen until the games are played. The ACC is perceived “weak” because a majority of the league maxes out at 7 wins and loses big OOC games to the B1G, sec, etc. It’s going to be hard for any league to get more than 2 teams in when the 3rd place team finishes 9-3.

The conference thanks to Swafford is built with hoops first and foremost in an era where football is 100% king. You are 1,000% correct there.

FSU, Clemson in 2024 may or may not be Top 10 level next year. People think Clemson is on the “decline” and FSU lost a lot off the 13-1 team. But now ESPN is all of a sudden disrespecting them? After Clemson, FSU, it’s a guessing game.

Miami never meets media expectations, UNC folds starting in late October-early November, and UofL is using the Portal to fill key positions way too much. They didn’t exactly finish the season well either losing to UK, FSU with an 3rd string QB and a depleted USC team full of opt outs. NCSU is a solid program, but has a grand total of 1 season in their history with more than 9 wins (2002 with 11).

Add GT, VT, Pitt to the next tier. GT, VT finally appear to be on the upswing, while Pitt looks to be going the opposite direction.

Duke, Wake, BC, Syracuse are all extremely hard to figure out from one year to the next. UVA just sucks. Period.

Now add in SMU, Stanford and Cal. All 3 have potential to be good programs, with SMU having the $$$ and resources to make the next level jump, now that they are in the ACC.
Listen, I use to have hope like you still do. It’s an awesome feeling to believe your team and conference has a chance. And I’m not trying to burst your hope bubble. Keep hope alive as long as you can and continue to believe guys like me are crazy. I wish I could still live in that world so please stay there as long as you can. I wish I could unsee what is actually happening.

However, as a super fan of college football and a guy who pays attention 365 for decade after decade, I’m just saying there is nothing in any of this that indicates equal treatment because equal treatment has no place in the field of money. They have already shown us with actions what they will do. They just showed us with a 4 team playoff that included 2 SEC teams and 2 BIG teams. Don’t listen to their words (although Sankey doesn’t even pretend anymore) watch their actions. The ACC will not get 2 teams because the SEC and BIG run the sport. If the ACC and PAC ran the sport with billions on the line we would do the same thing. It’s just business, not personal. Swofford’s tenure as commissioner has relegated us to a beggar’s position instead of sitting at the table. And no one wants to rock the boat and lose the crumbs they get. That’s why NC State’s AD could sit on the CFP and agree to burn his own house down. The war is over and we as a conference and school are on the losing side. I hope we switch to the winning side.

Is the portal impacted by the playoffs? In other words, could we have an FSU situation with teams that make the CFP?

There's a built-in reason for that outside the polls. It's a three-tiered playoff. First there's a payout for anyone making the CFP. Second, there's a guaranteed home game (with revenue) for teams seeded 5-8. Third, there's a bye and home game for 1-4. The SEC, B1G, ESPN and Fox will be lobbying for their teams that are just out of each of those brackets to get bumped up at the expense of everyone else. So, if a team outside those two conferences is ranked 7-8 or 11-12, there will be pressure on the CFP committee to move the SEC & B1G teams behind them not just into the playoff, but also into a slot with a home game.

Back