Twelve Team Playoff question

SEC/B1G already floating the idea of 4 automatic qualifiers from a conference, which would mean they would gobble up 8 of the 12 spots any given year. Obviously, it didn't pass, but if another conference or two crumbles, it will.

Is the portal impacted by the playoffs? In other words, could we have an FSU situation with teams that make the CFP?
Of course. We will still have opt outs and portal players. UGA is lauding itself because their players played in a meaningless bowl. That won’t happen again and was a perfect storm.

The bigger issue, which is brilliant by Sankey, is the system will force high end players into the SEC and BIG even more than they do now. What high end player wants to play in a conference with the end game being the Gator Bowl? You gotta give those guys credit. They created a system wherein they keep the majority of the money and ensured they will soak up all the 5 and high 4 star players which means they’ll get even more teams in the playoffs. That’s what smart commissioners do.

I can’t wait to see those fanbases shell out their life savings to attend all the playoff games though.

I can’t wait to see those fanbases shell out their life savings to attend all the playoff games though.
Great point. Are the pockets deep enough to attend all the playoff games? We'll find out. I wonder if it even matters that much, though. Their fans will definitely be tuning in from home.

I'm curious to see how the "sit-out rate" compares between the bowl era and the 12-team playoff.

Great point. Are the pockets deep enough to attend all the playoff games? We'll find out. I wonder if it even matters that much, though. Their fans will definitely be tuning in from home.

I'm curious to see how the "sit-out rate" compares between the bowl era and the 12-team playoff.
The playoff games will be packed make no mistake. A lot may just be corporate fans because it’s in their city but the regular fans will shell out for a year or two but eventually it will turn all corporate. I have no issue with it as a fan is a fan. I’d go to a Bama-Wisconsin game at the Benz if I got a corporate ticket even though I wouldn’t care about the results. I’ve been to several Final Fours under the corporate umbrella and the stadiums were packed even though 60% of the fans didn't care who won.

Expansion to 14 teams a possibility starting in 2026.

Big Ten and SEC to get more guaranteed bids with expansion so it’s essentially not expansion. It’s setting up to allow the Big Ten and SEC to reorganize into divisions or sub conferences and have those champions automatically go to the playoff. This will be the Big Ten and SEC’s play with any expansion talk, “well we should probably get an additional auto bid or two.”

Big Ten and SEC to get more guaranteed bids with expansion so it’s essentially not expansion. It’s setting up to allow the Big Ten and SEC to reorganize into divisions or sub conferences and have those champions automatically go to the playoff. This will be the Big Ten and SEC’s play with any expansion talk, “well we should probably get an additional auto bid or two.”
As if they need them. Things are set up for them to dominate at-large spots anyway, though I suppose this can keep it in balance so they won't complain about a year with 6+ SEC and 4 Big 10 I guess.

Do you blame them? The ACC started all this expansion nonsense 20 years ago raiding the Big East adding a bunch of NE hoops programs, and now is on life support. Yes. College Football in 6 months will look nothing like it ever has, but at this point you just have to accept it and see how it goes.

In the end GT should have already been in the B1G (per rumors) and hopefully will be in the coming years.

12, 14 ,16, 18, 24 .. pretty soon playoffs will start in September.

clown show.

It's not really a clown show, it's just the final stage in the transformation to a true professional league like the NFL.

It sucks, but it's going to rake money just like the NFL does. Sure they'll lose some fans, but more than enough will remain or be gained, and the hype around all the new playoff games will be massive.

It's not really a clown show, it's just the final stage in the transformation to a true professional league like the NFL.

It sucks, but it's going to rake money just like the NFL does. Sure they'll lose some fans, but more than enough will remain or be gained, and the hype around all the new playoff games will be massive.
i dunno .. at some point it has to become watered down.

i dunno .. at some point it has to become watered down.

Maybe eventually it will, but history has shown it's unlikely. The NBA regular season and playoffs are probably the most watered down things in sports, yet they don't remove games because it means losing money -- actually they have added more playoff games recently.

The NFL had the perfect regular season and playoffs, yet they've added another regular season game, another playoff game, and will almost certainly add an 18th regular season game soon. They're not doing that because it's losing them money.

I think there's a lot of room for CFB to add games before it becomes watered down to the point where those new games don't add money.

Maybe eventually it will, but history has shown it's unlikely. The NBA regular season and playoffs are probably the most watered down things in sports, yet they don't remove games because it means losing money -- actually they have added more playoff games recently.

The NFL had the perfect regular season and playoffs, yet they've added another regular season game, another playoff game, and will almost certainly add an 18th regular season game soon. They're not doing that because it's losing them money.

I think there's a lot of room for CFB to add games before it becomes watered down to the point where those new games don't add money.
The playoffs and more games stuff may not lead to losing money. Where the risk of that comes is in terms of the segregation of teams, either directly or in extreme disparity of resources, something not reflected in the NFL at least. Basically, it may not water down, but the TV market could get saturated with too many games that are meaningful to smaller and smaller groups of fans.

To this point, look locally at the Braves. We know they will make the playoffs in October. Yet, 3 million plus fans will pay for travel, parking, and a ticket to attend meaningless regular season games for the next 6 months. And these same fans are whining about an extra 3-4 meaningful college games for a handful of teams. I love that we now get a meaningful December and early January for more college football. And for half of the field of 12 they will be 1 and done. I’m not getting worked up that 6 teams will play a few extra games.

There will be two conferences of the top programs. We will be left out of such an organization, but we will vie for the NCAA title because that organization will break apart and become something like the Intercollegiate Sports Association. This is actually a thing in men’s rowing. There is no NCAA sanctioned champion. A completely different organization runs the big championship and the main schools.

We’ll see how it goes.

There will be two conferences of the top programs. We will be left out of such an organization, but we will vie for the NCAA title because that organization will break apart and become something like the Intercollegiate Sports Association. This is actually a thing in men’s rowing. There is no NCAA sanctioned champion. A completely different organization runs the big championship and the main schools.

We’ll see how it goes.
That is never going to happen to the ACC / B12. Even if FSU leaves, the ACC is held together by the stupid GOR. There will never be P2, non G5 (ACC, B12, MW /P12) and then a G5 league.

Reality is, there are enough solid football programs between the ACC / B12 to merge into the 3rd league anyway.

That is never going to happen to the ACC / B12. Even if FSU leaves, the ACC is held together by the stupid GOR. There will never be P2, non G5 (ACC, B12, MW /P12) and then a G5 league.

Reality is, there are enough solid football programs between the ACC / B12 to merge into the 3rd league anyway.

At the underline: why not? If you actually mean 3 distinct championship leagues, sure that wont happen cause theres no reason to separate anything besides the "P2" in this scenario. Doesn't mean an attempt at 2 is impossible.

Back