Twelve Team Playoff question

At the underline: why not? If you actually mean 3 distinct championship leagues, sure that wont happen cause theres no reason to separate anything besides the "P2" in this scenario. Doesn't mean an attempt at 2 is impossible.
And you really think GT will be relegated to G5 level, while Vandy, IU, NW, Minnesota, etc remain in the P2? If the unlikely scenario (0.01%) that it really happens, just remember GT reportedly turned down the B1G In the first place. We all know the situation with the sec.

Reality is, there could easily be 3 P3 conferences and it remains a stable platform.

Looks like the 14 team CFP starting in 2026 is close to being a done deal. And before people complain about the “ACC getting screwed and only getting 1 team” that myth can be put to bed.

“According to sources, the model that's earned the most discussion coming out of the CFP meeting in Dallas is one that would include three automatic qualifier spots for the Big Ten and SEC, two for the Big 12 and ACC and one for the Group of Five. That would leave three at-large spots in that 14-team model.”

So the ACC, B12 will be guaranteed 2 with a shot at 3+.

If the acc is guaranteed two why would anyone want to play in a conference championship game? Get into the playoffs if you win and get passed by number three if you lose. I think this format could kill the conference championship games. Not a bad thing imo.

Looks like the 14 team CFP starting in 2026 is close to being a done deal. And before people complain about the “ACC getting screwed and only getting 1 team” that myth can be put to bed.

“According to sources, the model that's earned the most discussion coming out of the CFP meeting in Dallas is one that would include three automatic qualifier spots for the Big Ten and SEC, two for the Big 12 and ACC and one for the Group of Five. That would leave three at-large spots in that 14-team model.”

I bet ND will count against the ACC’s 2 in the final language if they’re ranked higher than the ACC’s 2nd place team.

I bet ND will count against the ACC’s 2 in the final language if they’re ranked higher than the ACC’s 2nd place team.
Per the article, ND does not impact the ACC / B12 getting 2. They are their own entity.

“As for Notre Dame, sources told ESPN that the most likely option being discussed is that the Fighting Irish would earn a spot in the 14-team CFP if the selection committee ranks them in the top 14 on Selection Day.”

Per the article, ND does not impact the ACC / B12 getting 2. They are their own entity.

“As for Notre Dame, sources told ESPN that the most likely option being discussed is that the Fighting Irish would earn a spot in the 14-team CFP if the selection committee ranks them in the top 14 on Selection Day.”
For now. Nothing is agreed on at all. ND has guaranteed games with Stanford and 5 ACC teams. You think they are going to let a bad second place team in ahead of them? You think they can’t convince the other conferences of allowing it?

For now. Nothing is agreed on at all. ND has guaranteed games with Stanford and 5 ACC teams. You think they are going to let a bad second place team in ahead of them? You think they can’t convince the other conferences of allowing it?
You can believe what you want, but in the end, this entire expansion problem is the ACC’s fault. They could have been proactive instead of watching the B1G and sec do it. Hell, the B12 was on life support when Texas / OU bolted in 2020, and here they are expanding with real solid CFB programs. What did the ACC do? Cal, Stanford, and SMU. And those additions were only because FSU is inevitably leaving.

The ACC is a bottom tier league now. Getting 2 automatic bids was a very fair “rumored” decision.

You can believe what you want, but in the end, this entire expansion problem is the ACC’s fault. They could have been proactive instead of watching the B1G and sec do it. Hell, the B12 was on life support when Texas / OU bolted in 2020, and here they are expanding with real solid CFB programs. What did the ACC do? Cal, Stanford, and SMU. And those additions were only because FSU is inevitably leaving.

The ACC is a bottom tier league now. Getting 2 automatic bids was a very fair “rumored” decision.
The ACC had the second best P5 inter conference record last season. It is not bottom tier.

I agree that the ACC didn’t do a great job navigating expansion. Being a conference of smaller private schools stacked the deck against them a little bit. As college footballs TV popularity skyrocketed.

Don’t be mad that I was right that expansion led to drastically more bids for the SEC and Big Ten

The ACC had the second best P5 inter conference record last season. It is not bottom tier.

I agree that the ACC didn’t do a great job navigating expansion. Being a conference of smaller private schools stacked the deck against them a little bit. As college footballs TV popularity skyrocketed.

Don’t be mad that I was right that expansion led to drastically more bids for the SEC and Big Ten
I’m not mad about the 2 best conferences getting more guaranteed bids (3) over the 2 lesser conferences (2). The quality + quantity in those leagues is there vs ACC / B12.

What I have always said is the ACC will not just get 1 team in the new CFP, and that’s soon to be proven true based on the projected agreement in place.

I’ve also maintained the ACC can get more than 2, in which the conspiracy theorist come out saying it will never happen. No one knows this until a few seasons go by. Then we’ll know if a “deserving” ACC / B12 is passed over for a B1G / sec team with a lesser record.

I’m not mad about the 2 best conferences getting more guaranteed bids (3) over the 2 lesser conferences (2). The quality + quantity in those leagues is there vs ACC / B12.

What I have always said is the ACC will not just get 1 team in the new CFP, and that’s soon to be proven true based on the projected agreement in place.

I’ve also maintained the ACC can get more than 2, in which the conspiracy theorist come out saying it will never happen. No one knows this until a few seasons go by. Then we’ll know if a “deserving” ACC / B12 is passed over for a B1G / sec team with a lesser record.
i suppose we’ll have to wait and see. There’s no conspiracy theory happening. The SEC and Big Ten are flexing their power over the rest of football. The Big Ten commish is savvy and understands he can eventually get what he wants if he plays ball with the little guys. While the ACC may get two teams in, its $$ share will likely be much smaller and so the financial impact will likely be a wash. The percentage of ACC teams allowed in the playoff is smaller than the percentage allowed for any other conference. This is despite the ACC winning more national championships in the last 2 decades than any conference not named the SEC.

I do not believe the Big Ten is one of the best conferences in football. Even with the new additions. It has some very large and vocal alumni bases though.

I’ll be here and you’ll be proven wrong. No way they will let the ACC get in 2 teams in the 12 team playoff. The preseason polls have been rigged for decades to suppress the outsiders and inflate the chosen. We just saw it. UGA was wrongly ranked #1 all season and that ranking proved to be rigged all season. And the ACC is a joke if they vote to approve a 14 team model with less AQ’s than any other conference. But it’s no surprise which is why half the conference is just sitting quietly until they can get out.

I’ll be here and you’ll be proven wrong. No way they will let the ACC get in 2 teams in the 12 team playoff. The preseason polls have been rigged for decades to suppress the outsiders and inflate the chosen. We just saw it. UGA was wrongly ranked #1 all season and that ranking proved to be rigged all season. And the ACC is a joke if they vote to approve a 14 team model with less AQ’s than any other conference. But it’s no surprise which is why half the conference is just sitting quietly until they can get out.

lol. I hate U[sic]GA as much as the next guy, but ranking them #1 was not a case of rigging the polls.

They were the defending national champions and came into the season have won 17 straight and 29 out of 30. They then proceeded to have a second consecutive undefeated regular season, winning ten of their games by double digits (we were one of the other two.) It's easy to make a legitimate argument that they deserved to be #1 until they lost, and when they did they rightly dropped down five spots, behind undefeated FSU.

FSU getting left out of the playoffs was a travesty and a much better example of potential rigging than having the winningest team in the country ranked #1.

Guaranteeing more spots for certain power conferences is stupid. Really, shouldn’t guarantee more than 1 for each (conference champ)

Guaranteeing more spots for certain power conferences is stupid. Really, shouldn’t guarantee more than 1 for each (conference champ)

I assume it's the ACC and Big XII pushing for this because if it's just down to polls...well, we saw what happened to FSU last year.

Being guaranteed two spots yearly is almost certainly going to get them more teams in than guaranteeing only one and leaving the rest up to the powers-that-be in the CFB landscape.

lol. I hate U[sic]GA as much as the next guy, but ranking them #1 was not a case of rigging the polls.

They were the defending national champions and came into the season have won 17 straight and 29 out of 30. They then proceeded to have a second consecutive undefeated regular season, winning ten of their games by double digits (we were one of the other two.) It's easy to make a legitimate argument that they deserved to be #1 until they lost, and when they did they rightly dropped down five spots, behind undefeated FSU.

FSU getting left out of the playoffs was a travesty and a much better example of potential rigging than having the winningest team in the country ranked #1.
The polls are rigged by what you posted. The past should have nothing to do with that season. So, I should expect Michigan to be ranked #1 just because they went undefeated the season before? They have warped everyone’s viewpoint to the point they can rig it and people back them. It’s amazing and awesome.

As we sit here today can anyone make an argument as to why for 2024 GT shouldn’t be ranked preseason #1? Or any team for that matter. Michigan wasn’t preseason #1 yet they finished the invitational ranked 1st. Not a game has been played yet SEC and BIG teams will get a huge advantage for no reason with the polls. The point is there shouldn’t be a poll. Play the games first then determine an order just like every other freaking sport in the world.

The polls are rigged by what you posted. The past should have nothing to do with that season. So, I should expect Michigan to be ranked #1 just because they went undefeated the season before? They have warped everyone’s viewpoint to the point they can rig it and people back them. It’s amazing and awesome.

As we sit here today can anyone make an argument as to why for 2024 GT shouldn’t be ranked preseason #1? Or any team for that matter. Michigan wasn’t preseason #1 yet they finished the invitational ranked 1st. Not a game has been played yet SEC and BIG teams will get a huge advantage for no reason with the polls. The point is there shouldn’t be a poll. Play the games first then determine an order just like every other freaking sport in the world.

Okay, throw out the previous season. I don't think that having a team which went undefeated throughout the regular season while winning most of their games by double digits as #1, and then dropping them down below other undefeated teams when they finally lost a game, is good evidence that the polls are rigged.

i suppose we’ll have to wait and see. There’s no conspiracy theory happening. The SEC and Big Ten are flexing their power over the rest of football. The Big Ten commish is savvy and understands he can eventually get what he wants if he plays ball with the little guys. While the ACC may get two teams in, its $$ share will likely be much smaller and so the financial impact will likely be a wash. The percentage of ACC teams allowed in the playoff is smaller than the percentage allowed for any other conference. This is despite the ACC winning more national championships in the last 2 decades than any conference not named the SEC.

I do not believe the Big Ten is one of the best conferences in football. Even with the new additions. It has some very large and vocal alumni bases though.
Yes, Clemson and FSU have won MNC’s.

I don’t really understand why you think the ACC will be at such a disadvantage? Because of the lack of elite teams, a 3rd team has a very good chance to get a bid.

Reality is, the conference has a lot of 7 win programs, with a couple that have a shot at 10+ every once and a while. The only way the ACC is going to get more than 2 is for the 3rd place team winning 10 games. Whether that’s the group of NCSU, GT, VT, UNC, Miami, Louisville remains to be seen. Odds are against NCSU based on 1 10 win season in their history. Louisville looks like the next best chance like they did in 2023. But they can’t keep losing to a middle tier team like UK. Miami is a mythical name only at this point. Recruiting rankings mean nothing until they win more games. UNC starts off hot and fades. GT, VT are still rebounding into form. Sleeper is SMU in the future.

If you honestly think the B1G isn’t one of the top 2 conferences with the following, I don’t know what to tell you.

1. Michigan
2. tOSU
3. Oregon
4. PSU
5. USC

And I don’t need to go any further outside of those 5 for this discussion (which isn’t adding the MNC game participant UW). The B1G has depth. Period.

I’m going to assume with a straight face, you’re actually trying to say the ACC is the 2nd best conference? Sorry, but you’re only fooling one person. Yourself.

This makes absolutely no sense. Reality is if it was 2024 (and not 2023) and UofL not wet the bed and lost to a HORRIBLE Pitt team, only losing to UK, FSU to finish 11-2, they would have made the CFP in a 12 team Playoff. No doubt about. In 2023 UofL had the worst loss of any Top 15 team. Ended up finishing 10-4. Next best teams were 9 win Clemson, NCSU.

You're actually acting like the ACC deserves 2+ bids a year, when the W/L column doesn’t show that. Until 2 years ago FSU was floundering. GT, VT have been down. Miami never meets talent level expectations, etc.

The fact that the ACC / B12 will get 2 guaranteed in the 14 team CFP is a good job by both conferences securing that.

Back