Twelve Team Playoff question

As things currently stand, six automatic berths will be granted to the six highest-rated conference champions, as determined by the playoff committee rankings. The final six spots will go to the next six highest-rated teams. (However, as reported by Yahoo Sports, the CFP committee is expected to formally adopt a "5+7" model with the Pac-12's dispanding, one in which the top five conference champions and seven at-larges make it).

One of the most interesting and exciting wrinkles of the 12-team format will be that it will feature one of the most cherished aspects of college football: games played on campus in front of passionate, sold-out home crowds. Beginning with the quarterfinals, bowls will be involved in much the same way they are now, with a particular bowl game and site serving as the venue for the contest. The same will hold true for the semifinals.

College Football Playoff dates 2024

First round (on-campus games)
  • Friday, Dec. 20 (one game)
  • Saturday, Dec. 21 (three games)
Quarterfinals
  • Tuesday, Dec. 31 (Fiesta Bowl)
  • Wednesday, Jan. 1 (Peach Bowl, Rose Bowl, Sugar Bowl)
Semifinals
  • Thursday, Jan. 9 (Orange Bowl)
  • Friday, Jan. 10 (Cotton Bowl)
National championship
  • Monday, Jan. 20 (Mercedes-Benz Stadium, Atlanta)

College Football Playoff dates 2025

First round (on-campus games)
  • Friday, Dec. 19 (one game)
  • Saturday, Dec. 20 (three games)
Quarterfinals
  • Wednesday, Dec. 31 (Cotton Bowl)
  • Thursday, Jan. 1 (Orange Bowl, Rose Bowl, Sugar Bowl)
Semifinals
  • Thursday, Jan. 8 (Fiesta Bowl)
  • Friday, Jan. 9 (Peach Bowl)
National championship
  • Monday, Jan. 19 (Hard Rock Stadium, Miami Gardens, Florida)

Key thing is we only have that info for 2 years because after that it could be literally anything. Could go back to 4 for all we know (I meant it won't, but could)

The CBS way too early poll has zero ACC schools in the top 12 with the best team in the ACC being SMU. 7 SEC teams in the top 12

Make no mistakes, the BIG10 and SEC are going for the jugular of the ACC. 3 BIG10 teams. Arizona? And Notre Dame

SMU - kind of humorous since they are discussed as only getting $1 million from CFP. Crazy for a team with a bye.

5 conference

I already think 12 is nuts, you don't need 16. #1 is probably favored over #16 by 3 TDs. I mean, we all saw what #1 did to #2. I think 6 was the perfect number.
So you enjoy seeing the ACC champ gets screwed?

The “at large” should be truly at large. Every team should have the hope that in preseason that they have a shot. That means no polls until late October. An SEC team ranked in the top four has a lot better shot being in the top 12 than we do with the same record or even better.

Yep, and as I predicted it will expand in 6-8 years once the money comes pouring in and the playoff proves a success. This is awesome and gives us meaningful college football post Thanksgiving weekend.
not awesome yet. says revenue distribution still being negotiated. not going to be awesome when sec/big force larger distribution for themselves.

No, I don't care. I don't root for a conference. I root for Georgia Tech. And if the ACC doesn't root for me, why the öööö would I root for them?
Do you care if the ACC champ gets screwed when we are the ACC champ? Cause most people who aren't GT fans won't see a distinction.

not awesome yet. says revenue distribution still being negotiated. not going to be awesome when sec/big force larger distribution for themselves.
It will still be awesome. The SEC/BIG have been getting a bigger share of everything for decades and yet we are all still here watching.

I think what the real issue is that over the past few years with internal fanbase strife is that so many fans are just now waking up to how rigged this sport is and once your eyes are opened you can’t unsee it. I’ve called it professional wrestling because I’ve been awake since I was 10 when I asked the simple question on New Years Day, “daddy, why are we watching #1 play #6 and tonight #2 is playing #4?”. It was so obvious the sport was rigged than even a 10 year old saw it.

Guys like me are way past the point of believing fairness will prevail. Sure, I held out hope with the human desire for fairness to prevail, but it ended when my beloved GT was put on probation and had a title stripped from my stadium, yet every school around me (Florida, FSU, Auburn, Bama, UGA, and Clemson) were all buying players and committing academic fraud, yet the NCAA comes after my school (who admittedly needs to cheat way more than these other day care schools).

So, of course the revenue wont be shared evenly, and of course GT will not be part of any new system but it’s been that way for decades and I’ve still watched, I’m glad that many fans have seen the truth, but eventually they will come to the realization, like I did years ago, that just because they see it doesn’t make it stop. It’s all a scam. This was as clearly stated as ever when they left FSU out. That wasn’t a mistake, fluke, or “random injury circumstance”. It’s was deliberate.

Do you care if the ACC champ gets screwed when we are the ACC champ? Cause most people who aren't GT fans won't see a distinction.
There's also the fact that a significant portion of our revenue is tied to relative strength of perception of our conference. It sucks but it's just how things are now.

1. Is there a thread already?

2. Do we know how it's going to work yet? I have not heard boo about it, and I would think they (the committee) would already have published the plan for qualifying, which bowl games, elimination, etc.

Anyone know a timetable for this info?

2. Win/In

It will still be awesome. The SEC/BIG have been getting a bigger share of everything for decades and yet we are all still here watching.

I think what the real issue is that over the past few years with internal fanbase strife is that so many fans are just now waking up to how rigged this sport is and once your eyes are opened you can’t unsee it. I’ve called it professional wrestling because I’ve been awake since I was 10 when I asked the simple question on New Years Day, “daddy, why are we watching #1 play #6 and tonight #2 is playing #4?”. It was so obvious the sport was rigged than even a 10 year old saw it.

Guys like me are way past the point of believing fairness will prevail. Sure, I held out hope with the human desire for fairness to prevail, but it ended when my beloved GT was put on probation and had a title stripped from my stadium, yet every school around me (Florida, FSU, Auburn, Bama, UGA, and Clemson) were all buying players and committing academic fraud, yet the NCAA comes after my school (who admittedly needs to cheat way more than these other day care schools).

So, of course the revenue wont be shared evenly, and of course GT will not be part of any new system but it’s been that way for decades and I’ve still watched, I’m glad that many fans have seen the truth, but eventually they will come to the realization, like I did years ago, that just because they see it doesn’t make it stop. It’s all a scam. This was as clearly stated as ever when they left FSU out. That wasn’t a mistake, fluke, or “random injury circumstance”. It’s was deliberate.
The previous CFP system was flawed from day 1 when it was 4 teams with 5 P5 conferences. CFB has been just as dirty as CBB for a long time. It’s not about schools, it’s about being a billion dollar industry.

Who gives an eff about FSU at this point? That story has grown old, and the best team in the country (Michigan) won. With a straight face, can you really sit there and tell me FSU would have beaten Michigan with a 3rd string QB? The decision by the CFP committee (as wrong as it was) produced the 2 best semifinals games in a while.

Going forward the ACC champ will not be left out in a 12 team CFP. Nor will any ACC team who goes 11-1 and plays a tough schedule. The ACC has a chance for 2-3 spots a year just like every other league.

The previous CFP system was flawed from day 1 when it was 4 teams with 5 P5 conferences. CFB has been just as dirty as CBB for a long time. It’s not about schools, it’s about being a billion dollar industry.

Who gives an eff about FSU at this point? That story has grown old, and the best team in the country (Michigan) won. With a straight face, can you really sit there and tell me FSU would have beaten Michigan with a 3rd string QB? The decision by the CFP committee (as wrong as it was) produced the 2 best semifinals games in a while.

Going forward the ACC champ will not be left out in a 12 team CFP. Nor will any ACC team who goes 11-1 and plays a tough schedule. The ACC has a chance for 2-3 spots a year just like every other league.
Sorry, but they will vote to do away with auto bids and the ACC will be left out. You are living in a fairytale land if you think otherwise. And in no way will I say that Michigan was the best team in the country without having a real playoff system in place. So because they won 2 games that were hand picked I’m suppose to crown them? In what other sport does it work that way. Sure, they had a great chance to win a 12 team or 24 team tournament but how do we know? We just watched a true champion be crowned in the Chiefs who played a full regular season of similar teams to every other NFL team and then played a real playoff. Not the garbage the CFP picked and told us that‘s what we would eat. And we’ll see a true champion crowned in March Madness who will actually play it on the field. Or maybe they should just invite 4 teams and see who can win 2 in a row.

Sorry, but they will vote to do away with auto bids and the ACC will be left out. You are living in a fairytale land if you think otherwise. And in no way will I say that Michigan was the best team in the country without having a real playoff system in place. So because they won 2 games that were hand picked I’m suppose to crown them? In what other sport does it work that way. Sure, they had a great chance to win a 12 team or 24 team tournament but how do we know? We just watched a true champion be crowned in the Chiefs who played a full regular season of similar teams to every other NFL team and then played a real playoff. Not the garbage the CFP picked and told us that‘s what we would eat. And we’ll see a true champion crowned in March Madness who will actually play it on the field. Or maybe they should just invite 4 teams and see who can win 2 in a row.
FBS football has always had flawed championships crowned. Who has said otherwise? Polls to BCS to CFP. It’s all subjective.

Michigan won the MNC. Period. Not sure who is going to argue that. There was not a close 2nd.

So based on your logic, if Michigan, Texas, and Washington weren’t 3 of the 4 best teams based on what they accomplished, who was?

The ACC and B12 aren’t losing their automatics bids anytime soon with the current expanded CFP. That’s living in a fairytale land.

No, I don't care. I don't root for a conference. I root for Georgia Tech. And if the ACC doesn't root for me, why the öööö would I root for them?
Absoööööinglutely - particularly when it comes to Florida State.

The fact that 20 some odd F$U players bailed on their teammates, fans and school to be humiliated in the Orange Bowl game was ööööing disgraceful, yet an action that didn't surprise me in the ööööing least coming from that program :dunno: .

FBS football has always had flawed championships crowned. Who has said otherwise? Polls to BCS to CFP. It’s all subjective.

Michigan won the MNC. Period. Not sure who is going to argue that. There was not a close 2nd.

So based on your logic, if Michigan, Texas, and Washington weren’t 3 of the 4 best teams based on what they accomplished, who was?

The ACC and B12 aren’t losing their automatics bids anytime soon with the current expanded CFP. That’s living in a fairytale land.
I totally agree the entire sport is subjective. That’s why it’s been a bogus sport. In 50 years from now, none of the past 100 years will be counted. People will give as much credence to pre-playoff champions as we do to the Chicago Cardinals for winning the 1947 NFL Championship.

And I’m not saying the 4 teams that were invited into the ESPN invitational weren’t top teams. Of course, they were. But that doesn’t mean any of them would have won a real playoff just like the Ravens didn’t win the Super Bowl. It’s all rigged when only 4 teams have a chance and was totally bogus when sports writers voted for their local teams. The older fans of today just have to accept the fact that you’ve been a fan of a scam all your life. I’ve accepted it.

Back