Urban Meyer.. backtrack?

@andrew Not divulging an answer would've made him look guilty (like he was withholding info) in the eyes of the media.

I agree with you...just saying.
He had just fired a long time assistant THAT WEEK for a hot button topic of spousal abuse. He's a moron if he didn't realize the subject would come up at media day. He was ill-prepared and shot from the hip. That will probably cost him his job.

And Meyer really ööööed up with the “I don’t know who makes these stories up line”. He essentially claimed the reporter was lying.

“If you intentionally lie, your career is over”. That quote didn’t hold up too well, did it Urbs?

Confirmed wife beater? ESPN reports that the police investigated and concluded the evidence was insufficient to move forward.
It doesn't really surprise me that Earle Bruce's grandson and Urban Meyer's wide receivers coach would be cleared by Columbus police officers. Look at the pics of the wife's injuries and at the texts where the husband admits the abuse.

It doesn't really surprise me that Earle Bruce's grandson and Urban Meyer's wide receivers coach would be cleared by Columbus police officers. Look at the pics of the wife's injuries and at the texts where the husband admits the abuse.
And that’s what you call ‘confirmed’?

I’m guessing you don’t do any criminal defense work.

Easy to say from your laptop with anonymity after seeing the fall out of how he handled it. Having a mic in your face and (maybe) being caught off guard, the mind wanders and wants to get to safety ASAP. Yes he could handled it better but give me a break. This is all just media hysteria like most things these days.

If his "get to safety" tactic is lying instead of saying "no comment" or "I'll get back to you" then he is either dumb or woefully underprepared for a job with responsibility. Especially for a job where he is a public figure, and especially at an event called "media day". It's not like a reporter accosted him while he was walking his dog. The whole reason he was there was to have mics in his face.

Sure it's media hysteria but this sort of thing has happened dozens of times in recent memory and he was at an event known for media hysteria. He should have been able to handle it a lot better.

And that’s what you call ‘confirmed’?

I’m guessing you don’t do any criminal defense work.
For purposes of firing him, yes it's "confirmed." I guess you don't do any employment law.

For purposes of firing him, yes it's "confirmed." I guess you don't do any employment law.
Ah yes the eternal mating call of management... “CYA, CYA, CYA.”

I’m not willing to fire a guy where the interested party says he’s guilty and the disinterested party says he’s not.

I’m not willing to fire a guy where the interested party says he’s guilty and the disinterested party says he’s not.
Have you ever owned a business? Would you need a conviction in order to fire an employee accused of serious wrongdoing?

Last edited:
Have you ever owned a business? Would you need a conviction in order to fire an employee accused of serious wrongdoing?
The manager of this business chose not to. So why are you blaming him for that choice?

Who exactly is the disinterested party here?

The manager was fairly interested in the outcome, wouldn't you say?
Yes, just like any manager of any business is. And that's why he relied upon the (allegedly) independent investigation conducted by the Columbus police.

The bottom line is that there are lots of differences of opinion about whether an individual has done something wrong. And we so we create and administer institutional processes to attempt to resolve those differences. Here that process was administered and concluded there wasn't enough evidence to move forward.

I would have to know the husband and wife to make my own appraisals of their respective characters. Not knowing, I'm content to trust the process society has created and now relies upon.

Can you image the dumpster fire that would ensue if that arrogant SOB ever coached at Tech? And he's from Ohio, for Pete's sake.

Yes, I can. We’d be able to see the flames in Athens all the way out here in East Cobb. I kid of course. I like our not-at-all arrogant coach we have now, all five wins of him.

Back