Vad is not the answer if

FAN OF BOBBY DODD

Flats Noob
CPJ requires him to stick with the basic TO. There will be some improvement but very little if he don't change the system to fit his players instead of trying to make them conform to his system. All the great coaches change the system to the skills of thier players. I am afraid CPJ won't so Vad will probably not succeed. I hope I'm wrong but think I am right.

I was just talking to my dad about this on the phone.

PJ needs to pull the stick out of his ass and give his players the best chance to win rather than his stubborn ass waiting on an awful QB to give HIM the best chance to win.

Vad is not the answer.

Do you guys even look at any other players during the game?

Vad is not the answer.

Do you guys even look at any other players during the game?

Maybe not, but I do know that Vad cares and according to Jay Finch "gives positive energy" in the huddle as quoted after yesterday. That should tell you all you need to know.

Never underestimate what a true leader can do for the motivation of others in the huddle.

I was just talking to my dad about this on the phone.

PJ needs to pull the stick out of his ass and give his players the best chance to win rather than his stubborn ass waiting on an awful QB to give HIM the best chance to win.

I agree, but I have a different take on this "Vad can't run the TO yet" stuff.

If Vad cannot run the base offense, after 1.75 yrs at GT, then in my opinion, that is on PJ, not on Vad. Remember, JN only had a short time to learn this offense, and he was limited to what he could and could not do when we started in 2008, but because JN was a winner and a special talent, he and PJ made it work. That is what Vad will do also, and again, if he knows the offense less than JN knew it when the 2008 season started, then that is on the coaching staff, not VAD.

If Vad cannot run the base offense, after 1.75 yrs at GT, then in my opinion, that is on PJ, not on Vad.

This is definitely the issue, but I'm not convinced it is on CPJ.

As you said, JfN was able to pick it up in short order and make it his own. VL is not able to do that, unfortunately.

Totally agree, he needs to play to the strengths. More pistol and other play packages where he is more effective. Sprinkle back in the T-O and, who knows, maybe we catch someone not expecting it so often, and have something called offensive balance.

Moar pistol read option....

and it will just turn no-gain B-back rushes into 6 yard losses since the line cant block the defensive line, and our backs dont seem to like to either

Vads dominating ability to force BYU into committing personal fouls was definitely awesome yesterday.

Vads dominating ability to force BYU into committing personal fouls was definitely awesome yesterday.

You're onto something.

It's clear BYU players wanted Vad out there.

Even Justin Moore wanted Vad out there. He missed the FG when Tevin was playing. Made it when Vad was out there.

and it will just turn no-gain B-back rushes into 6 yard losses since the line cant block the defensive line, and our backs dont seem to like to either

FWIW, even without a dominate B-back like Dwyer or AA, our B-backs seldom get stopped for less than a ~2 yard gain. The reason it looks like no-gain is because the OL is blocking the DL and getting a little push most of the time. However, I agree with your primary point; move to the pistol and many of those B-back dives turn into lost yards.

I agree, but I have a different take on this "Vad can't run the TO yet" stuff.

If Vad cannot run the base offense, after 1.75 yrs at GT, then in my opinion, that is on PJ, not on Vad. Remember, JN only had a short time to learn this offense, and he was limited to what he could and could not do when we started in 2008, but because JN was a winner and a special talent, he and PJ made it work. That is what Vad will do also, and again, if he knows the offense less than JN knew it when the 2008 season started, then that is on the coaching staff, not VAD.

Haha dude you obviously didn't see Tevin as a RS freshman. I thought he would never play a down. But he has actually improved over his career by leaps and bounds. Vad looks about the same in the triple, and is already 10 times the passer.
You and I also remember 08 differently. Nesbitt ran around most of the season, with Dwyer taking bback option pitches for tds, and bay bay catching jump balls. Nesbitt stunk at the triple early on.
Vad didn't look great, but he is an effing RS freshman just getting his feet wet behind a ööööty OL.
I

JN wasn't all that great as far as the reads and pitches and all that in 2008 either. We fumbled a lot in 2008 and had many missed reads. I remember many more draws which were stuffed because JN should have kept it. The difference was that JN and JD could do so much with the ball even if JN made the wrong read. That's basically where Vad has had success as well. The TD against BC, for example, was due to his athleticism, not anything to do with an option read.

If Vad had played all of this year as the starting QB, and then still couldn't run the option next year, then it would be on CPJ. But the offense is quite complex and I believe Joe Ham looked uncertain in his RS Fr. year as well running Fridge's offense. Rather than being "boxed in," successfully running the TO could get VL into space a lot and have more space for WR's when we do pass the ball.

Haha dude you obviously didn't see Tevin as a RS freshman. I thought he would never play a down. But he has actually improved over his career by leaps and bounds. Vad looks about the same in the triple, and is already 10 times the passer.
You and I also remember 08 differently. Nesbitt ran around most of the season, with Dwyer taking bback option pitches for tds, and bay bay catching jump balls. Nesbitt stunk at the triple early on.
Vad didn't look great, but he is an effing RS freshman just getting his feet wet behind a ööööty OL.
I

I agree. That was my point. Vad is probably more ready NOW than JN was, and I believe he will prove to be much more of a natural QB than JN. It is time to see him get the experience he needs.

Oh give it a rest already. TW sucks. Just admit you were wrong.

Just completely wrong.

It actually was a big improvement. BYU was taking cheap shots at Lee, to knock him out of the game. They were more concerned about Vad than Tevin. If Lee hadn't tripped, that next drive might have been something.

It actually was a big improvement. BYU was taking cheap shots at Lee, to knock him out of the game. They were more concerned about Vad than Tevin. If Lee hadn't tripped, that next drive might have been something.

Exactly, an athlete that "forces" the action and takes it to the opponent will get more attention. I was at the game, and it looked to me that Vad had the ability to do more with less. (he did trip over his O-lineman on one play) He still passes the eye test, and it is funny how everyone thinks that this is "knock" on Tevin. It isn't, but it is time to get started with the future, and that is VAD, IMO.

Back