Vad is not the answer if

I still think TW is the much better overall player, but I'd rather see what VL does with the experience at this point.

TW is better at running the base offense. Vad is better when the base offense ain't working and your back to playground-make-something-out-of-nothing. Saturday it took CPJ too long to figure out the base offense wasn't going to work and he needed Houdini (Vad) to just make something happen.

TW should start; because if the base offense is working it will be a UVA/BC type day. If the base offense ain't working put in Vad early, like the 3rd or 4th possession, or it is going to be just a long day like BYU.

A great QB can mask other team deficiencies, especially in this offense.

Problem to me is that Vad isn't capable of doing that with his skill set. If we had someone who could get 3-4 yards every time out we may be able to sit on the ball long enough to shorten a game to 3-4 possessions per team each half. I don't see Vad as being the death march type but instead a quick strike through the air.

TW is better at running the base offense. Vad is better when the base offense ain't working and your back to playground-make-something-out-of-nothing. Saturday it took CPJ too long to figure out the base offense wasn't going to work and he needed Houdini (Vad) to just make something happen.

TW should start; because if the base offense is working it will be a UVA/BC type day. If the base offense ain't working put in Vad early, like the 3rd or 4th possession, or it is going to be just a long day like BYU.

I'm pretty much on board with this. I'd put TW in the game to start and see what we can do. I'd probably throw Vad a possession or two in the second quarter, go back to TW to start the third. By the end of the third ball would go to the person who played the best so far.

I'm pretty much on board with this. I'd put TW in the game to start and see what we can do. I'd probably throw Vad a possession or two in the second quarter, go back to TW to start the third. By the end of the third ball would go to the person who played the best so far.

LOL, so in other words keep with the status quo and do what we have done all year.

If you don't know what TW can do by now you haven't been watching...

HE ----ING BLOWS!!!!!! GET IT?!

Tevin should have the first drive of the duke game since it will be Senior day. That is it.

LOL, so in other words keep with the status quo and do what we have done all year.

If you don't know what TW can do by now you haven't been watching...

HE ----ING BLOWS!!!!!! GET IT?!

I'll feed the troll. Would he complete ~60% of his passes, have a 150 QB rating (28th in the country), 9.85 yards/attempt (4th), 15 rushing TDs (4th) and lead the team in rushing yards if he were that bad? It's not a system thing either - Nesbitt never had a completion % that high (despite having NFL receivers), only once had a higher y/a (only half a yard higher), and only once had more rushing TDs (albeit in 14 games, not 8). TW already has more passing yards than JfN had in 2008, but has a 50% higher QB rating.

Even after being shut down that last game, we are 30th in yards per game, 28th in scoring offense, 36th in third down percentage (despite going 0-10 last game), and 38th in turnover margin, and 25th in passing efficiency. Yet, overreactors like you would have us believe that the offense has been absolutely horrendous and a black mark on the face of GT football.

It's hilarious that you aren't calling for our freshmen DL and LBs to play. We are 77th in the country in sacks. That sucks. We are 49th in kickoff return yards/attempt. We are 100th in 3rd down percentage defense (46.15%), 66th in first downs, 97th in pass defense, 66th in red zone defense, 54th in rush defense, 79th in scoring defense, 73rd in total defense.

Why aren't you ragging on our defense? Why do people like you overreact to one bad game on offense and ignore the 6 bad games on defense all season long? Instead of ragging on TW, who has done nothing but play admirably if not inconsistent at times, why don't you rag on Attaochu (39 tackles, 2 sacks all season), Izaan Cross (17 total tackles, 0.5 sacks), Euclid Cummings (12 tackles, 2 sacks), Emmanuel Dieke (18 tackles, 1 sack), TJ Barnes (19 tackles, 0.5 sacks), Chris Crenshaw (5 tackles, 1 sack). Those guys are the reason we've been losing.

Hell, our top 5 leading tacklers include 2 underclassmen LBs (FR Hunt-Days and SO Quayshawn Nealy).

Why not focus on the real problems of our team instead of acting like a chick and blaming everything on the starting QB?

I'll start by saying that defense is our problem.

As a long time Tech fan, I've heard about the incredible guy waiting in the wings far too many times to buy into such hype. That is how I've approached Vad. Having seen him a couple of times, I really like what I see and think he may be special. The team seems to have a boost of energy when he come into the game which suggests they feel he may be the better qb too.

I even think he looked pretty good against BYU. Most of his incomplete passes looked ok to me.

He quarterbacked three drives for 86 yards. Tevin quarterbacked 6 drives for 94 yards (he also had a one play drive for two yards before the half but I'm not counting that). So, Vad averaged 28.6 yards per drive. Tevin averaged 15.6 yards per drive. I'd have to give Vad the edge on the stats and the eye test.

As for Tech's big offensive stats this season. Playing bad defenses has really helped those. The total defense rankings for our opponents are: Virginia Tech 49, Virginia 40, Miami 116, Middle Tennessee 94, Clemson 82, Boston College 111 (Presbyterian isn't IA so is not ranked). If you prefer to look at scoring defense, it doesn't get much better: Virginia Tech 48, Virginia 87, Miami 95, Middle Tennesse 69, Clemson 51, Boston College 91. BYU is the only good defense that we've faced. Virginia's defense is pretty good (and we lit them up) as is Virginia Tech's (who held us in check).

Even if the offense were modified to better fit Vad's skillset we still have the worst receiving corps in FBS football.

Even if the offense were modified to better fit Vad's skillset we still have the worst receiving corps in FBS football.

I can see why you would think that but I believe the receivers would do a better job of being ready for the ball if the could depend on the ball getting to them on time. Also I believe the defence would play with more fire if the offence was on fire more.

tevin missed a wide open, stationary receiver on a screen pass on sat.
he also failed to make reads and threw at guys in coverage instead of the others who were wide open.

tevin missed a wide open, stationary receiver on a screen pass on sat.

I rewatched the game last night. There was no such play. One play looked like a screen pass because our OL let loose so many guys and he had to throw quicker than Orwin expected.

he also failed to make reads and threw at guys in coverage instead of the others who were wide open.

He did do these though Vad also made the wrong reads on two plays but I concede they could have been designed dives cause on one we were blocking everyone on the line.

I rewatched the game last night. There was no such play. One play looked like a screen pass because our OL let loose so many guys and he had to throw quicker than Orwin expected.

There was absolutely such a play. We were on the north end of the field, heading south. He took the snap, short drop, turned and threw to a wide open receiver that had run a WR screen, and the ball made it just over halfway there with no pressure.

I remember him specifically bouncing two passes, and almost bouncing the first pass of the game.

I'll start by saying that defense is our problem.

As a long time Tech fan, I've heard about the incredible guy waiting in the wings far too many times to buy into such hype. That is how I've approached Vad. Having seen him a couple of times, I really like what I see and think he may be special. The team seems to have a boost of energy when he come into the game which suggests they feel he may be the better qb too.

I even think he looked pretty good against BYU. Most of his incomplete passes looked ok to me.

He quarterbacked three drives for 86 yards. Tevin quarterbacked 6 drives for 94 yards (he also had a one play drive for two yards before the half but I'm not counting that). So, Vad averaged 28.6 yards per drive. Tevin averaged 15.6 yards per drive. I'd have to give Vad the edge on the stats and the eye test.

Are you giving Vad credit for 45 yards of defensive personal foul penalties in one drive in those 86 yards? Because that was the only effective difference.

I think the big problem both QBs had was not having much time and not having many options from receivers. They seemed similarly frantic looking downfield. TW often did the smart thing and threw it away, but at some point you have to put it up for grabs in desperation when the score against you is climbing and the time is ticking down.

Neither played particularly well. Vad had success scrambling on the first drive.

+ 1

Sound logic.

CPJ just kept thinking the only reason we were not getting untracked was lack of opportunity due to the defense and ST TDs.

Back