Vad Lee, scout team qb extraordinaire?

dressedcheeseside

Dodd-Like
I've heard countless lamentation on how poorly our DB's and LB's are in pass coverage and how the scout team offense has its part in their lack of preparation. Makes sense. How can you get good going against crap every day?

Enter Vad Lee. I'm assuming he's redshirting this year and will be our new scout team qb. (Sorry to all you "Vad Lee for Starter" pipe smokers.) It begs the question: will our back eight, hell our front 3 even, benefit from such a highly gifted passer and runner in the offensive practice backfield? Maybe Vad being relegated to the scout team will pay off valuable dividends THIS year?

Yes. In fact I think it might teach him valuable lessons for when he moves up to play with the big boys.

But I can only imagine how horrible the scout team OL will be.

Yes. In fact I think it might teach him valuable lessons for when he moves up to play with the big boys.

But I can only imagine how horrible the scout team OL will be.

No worse than any other year with it being made up of mostly true freshmen and walk ons?

As long as we don't break him. Watching the defense dominate the actual offense (and Tevin personally) during the spring game does not give me comfortable visions about how the scout team must fare. I'm sure they are just practicing assignments and formations and all that though, there won't be so much crushing and destroying.

Are there any ways to get updates on the scout team's performance throughout the season?

When will Vad start getting the experience needed to run our/PJ's offense? Will he get it running everyone else's offense on the scout team?

He'll be the 3rd string QB, one play away from being the backup. He'll get some reps in the O.

When will Vad start getting the experience needed to run our/PJ's offense? Will he get it running everyone else's offense on the scout team?

I don't think scout team players, qb's included, get any reps in the regular offense during the season. They get to sit in meetings and watch film, but no physical reps in practice. Its a big misnomer among the fanbase that redshirted players are "ready to go" when their redshirts come off. In reality, they are still very green in the offense. Just ask Days.

Redshirting is still an essential practice, however. Mainly, it allows them a 5th year in which they are bound to be head and shoulders better than their first. They also get a headstart in the classroom, training room and eating room. They have to stay 5 years for the team to benefit, however. When they leave before then, it puts the team in a world of hurt. Just look at our OL.

That's debateable. It's quite possible CPJ will move Sims back to qb if Tevin or Synjyn goes down.

If Vad is so bad in practice that we would be willing to move Sims back to QB, then we might as well just forfeit the season.

If Vad is so bad in practice that we would be willing to move Sims back to QB, then we might as well just forfeit the season.

This makes no sense...on a few different levels.

1) A scout team QB playing poorly (assuming Vad is the scout team QB) will not likely have much of a bearing on this upcoming season.

2) The reason for moving Sims back to QB might not be based on Vad's play. It might be late in the season when its not worth burning a RS (i.e. Synjyn last year).

3) Sims was recruited as a QB and has performed respectable from what I've seen. It wouldn't be the end of the world to have him back there.

No, what doesn't make sense is moving Sims to Bback in the first place if you're just going to end up moving him back to QB.

Bonham is the negative bookend of the "faith in TfW" spectrum among STers.

No, what doesn't make sense is moving Sims to Bback in the first place if you're just going to end up moving him back to QB.

He would only potentially get moved back if there are injuries and its late in the season. Not sure what you are having trouble with here. Why burn Vad's RS in week 8 (after Days or Washington go down) to be a 2nd string QB playing a few snaps every other game when you could bring in Sims to play and save a full year of elgibility for Vad?

Usually practices are split up with one main facet being individual position drills (or, for example, QBs working on the mesh with BBs or QB/BB/AB/WR skeleton drills). Another main facet is scout team.

I think a lot of posters on here have misconceptions about what Scout team is. It is NOT a test of skills. It's NOT designed to be a 100% accurate depiction of the other team.

It IS, however, a test of knowing the scheme and the gameplan at 80-90% speed.

If you think our walkons without more than a week of practice can emulate teams like uga, VT, Clemson, UNC, FSU, etc. you're crazy. That's not the point. The point is, here's a play you are going to see Saturday. Are you in the right position? Did you cover your assignment?

It's more of an instance to work on the mental aspect of preparation. The skills part (tackling, running, getting off blocks or, in Vad's case, learning the offense) comes from the other aspects of practice.

He would only potentially get moved back if there are injuries and its late in the season. Not sure what you are having trouble with here. Why burn Vad's RS in week 8 (after Days or Washington go down) to be a 2nd string QB playing a few snaps every other game when you could bring in Sims to play and save a full year of elgibility for Vad?

I'd have no problem burning Vad's redshirt in week 8....especially if we were still in the mix for a bowl or better. That's 6 games he could get valuable live experience that would serve him well as the starter next year.

I don't think scout team players, qb's included, get any reps in the regular offense during the season. They get to sit in meetings and watch film, but no physical reps in practice. Its a big misnomer among the fanbase that redshirted players are "ready to go" when their redshirts come off. In reality, they are still very green in the offense. Just ask Days.

Redshirting is still an essential practice, however. Mainly, it allows them a 5th year in which they are bound to be head and shoulders better than their first. They also get a headstart in the classroom, training room and eating room. They have to stay 5 years for the team to benefit, however. When they leave before then, it puts the team in a world of hurt. Just look at our OL.

I think Vad will get *some* reps. It would be different if he was a BB this year and had four guys ahead of him. TW and SJ will get most of the reps by far, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Vad get a series or two every practice since there are only 2 QBs ahead of him on the depth chart. Otherwise those reps are going to Dickey.

Back