Vad Lee, scout team qb extraordinaire?

I and most every reasonable poster on here disagrees with you on this. First off, Sims won't move back to qb to "salvage Vad's redshirt," he'll move back because he'll give us a better chance to win. He's a third year player with lots of practice/film/meeting time invested in qb. Like Legal said, he's not gonna forget everything he's learned about playing qb overnight.

Secondly, you're being extremely unfair to Vad to say Sims "is going to stay there (Bback) unless Vad completely disappoints." If Vad doesn't make the 2 deep at qb, he'll be the scout team qb. He won't get a lot of reps in our offense from there. If that happens, its not a major disappointment, except for you, maybe.

To reinforce this point:
We should not forget that Sims beat-out 4* dual-threat QB recruit Jordan Luallen to be the #3 QB last year (that's why Jordan transferred iiuc). Sims already saw the field playing QB for us this past year. To say that a True Freshman "completely disappoints" because he doesn't become a better option in 3 weeks of practice, I agree, is strong.

On the other hand, I would be happy for Vad to put this conversation to bed by coming and forcing the coaches not to redshirt him by his play on the field.

Yeah, because we didn't waste a year of Nesbitt's eligibility or anything. Playing in '07 as a backup was clearly more important than being a Heisman candidate in '11.
I can't see Coach Johnson using an 18 year old Vad Lee for four games in 2011 instead of having a 22 year old Vad Lee for 12 games in 2015. That is his oft-stated philosophy about redshirting true freshmen.

In his very first Lunch Bunch appearance shortly after being hired, he was very blunt about what he thought of the prior regime burning a year of Nesbitt's eligibility to activate an 18 year old Nesbitt for basically a couple plays a game in 2007. That cost him having Nesbitt starting this year as a 22 year old - imagine the difference. And this was before Nesbitt played a down in Coach Johnson's system.

This bonham fellow just doesn't get it.

This makes no sense...on a few different levels.

1) A scout team QB playing poorly (assuming Vad is the scout team QB) will not likely have much of a bearing on this upcoming season.

2) The reason for moving Sims back to QB might not be based on Vad's play. It might be late in the season when its not worth burning a RS (i.e. Synjyn last year).

3) Sims was recruited as a QB and has performed respectable from what I've seen. It wouldn't be the end of the world to have him back there.

Bonham, in gereral, makes no sense.

Can you think of a single year that we have run this offense that QB injuries were NOT a factor? In 2008, we had Calvin freaking Booker playing for Pete's sake. Nesbitt didn't miss much time in 2009 but he was banged up much of the season. We all know what happened in 2010. I find your assertion that PJ wouldn't plan for QB injuries in this type of offense to be absurd.

QB injuries WILL happen in this offense and we DO need to plan for it. You just don't move players around randomly and plug them in. If Sims plays the entire spring and fall as Bback, he is going to stay there unless Vad completely disappoints. He is NOT going to switch back to QB just to salvage Vad's redshirt.

I know what you are getting at here but it's hard to figure out where to start there are so many inaccuracies.

1) In 2008 we had Booker play one game against Gardner Webb. He wasn't the only reason we couldn't get anything done, otherwise we could have stuck with the dive the whole game.

Anyways, in three years in this offense we've had to play a third string guy ONCE. This year that third stringer would be Sims - you know, the guy that beat out 4* Jordan Luallen last year? Nesbitt played the lion's share of 10 games. Assuming Sims has to start a game this year, would it be worth burning Vad's RS to play him for one game? Hell no. Anyways, the point is you leave Sims at BB for now hoping this year is like...

2) 2009, where Nesbitt played all but a handful of snaps. Banged up? Hardly. If he was so banged up Jaybo would've gotten more than 2 passes and 12 rushes - ALL YEAR. Factor out mop up duty, and the only time Jaybo played was a few snaps of the uga game. That's it.

You blew all credibility trying to argue around that one.

3) Yeah we all know what happened in 2010. Nesbitt through an interception and broke his arm trying to tackle. How does that have anything to do with THIS offense? Hint: It doesn't.

Remarkably, despite the apparent incredibly high risk of injury in this offense, Nesbitt didn't miss any other time due to injury in 2010. Washington and Sims only got in mop up duty against SC St, UVA, and MTSU. Equally remarkable, Tevin didn't miss any time (and Sims didn't play any) once Tevin became the starter.

So, to answer your post, we really haven't had any injuries in the last two years except for a tackling injury that had nothing to do with our offense.

4) Nobody is randomly moving players around. Sims spent two years at QB. The only randomly moving him around was putting him at BB to help him see the field. If he's 4th string BB but could be 2nd string QB - guess where he's going to play?

Plus - and here's the BIGGEST thing you miss - Sims has spent TWO YEARS learning QB in this offense. That's more time than Vad after this year AND next year. If Sims was good enough to play third string QB last year, he's certainly good enough to make it this year.

I had the chance to meet Vad Lee following the Spring Game. He was very polite and genuinely excited about being at Georgia Tech. I couldn't help but think what this young man was in store for. After watching Tevin and Synjyn getting battered around and continually willing themselves to get back up and get back in there, I had to wonder what drives these young men to put their body on the line to play this game. They must have a real love for the competition.

I don't know how Vad's future will unfold but I admire these kids and the courage they display in playing the great game of football.

Go Jackets!

I think game planning around Vad going pro is very premature. Come on now...

He needs to RS...there would have to be a very special situation for me to support burning his RS for 4 measley games to save a trip to the Emerald Nuts bowl. If he is half the QB we are hoping, we are going to want him around for 4 full years on the field. Gotta think about the program, not just a trip to some toilet bowl. I'll take my chances on him leaving early to go pro.

Blah, Blah, Blah...

The pounding the QB takes in this type of offense play-after-play leads to more injuries than a "normal" offense and so additional planning for depth is especially critical to us. Even if a QB doesn't necessarily miss games, an injury can affect his play. The ankle injury that Nesbitt played with in 2009 is a good example. No, he did not miss much time, but it affected his play.

If you can't acknowledge that simple fact, then there is no point arguing.

The pounding the QB takes in this type of offense play-after-play leads to more injuries than a "normal" offense and so additional planning for depth is especially critical to us. Even if a QB doesn't necessarily miss games, an injury can affect his play. The ankle injury that Nesbitt played with in 2009 is a good example. No, he did not miss much time, but it affected his play.

You only refuted one of several points, and did a bad job of it at that.

Vad Lee as a RS sr is going to be 100 times better than Vad Lee as a true fr. Refute that.

You only refuted one of several points, and did a bad job of it at that.

Vad Lee as a RS sr is going to be 100 times better than Vad Lee as a true fr. Refute that.

I made my point several times already.

Vad is NOT going to redshirt.

Mark it down.

I made my point several times already.

Vad is NOT going to redshirt.

Mark it down.

Don't be a bad sport when there is an "I told you so" thread in November.

A lot of bad things would have to happen for Vad to burn a year as a TR FR. Unless he truly is a badass from the start.

Don't be a bad sport when there is an "I told you so" thread in November.

A lot of bad things would have to happen for Vad to burn a year as a TR FR. Unless he truly is a badass from the start.

I will eat some serious crow if I'm wrong. I don't think I will be.

I take the "Blah Blah Blah" comment as a not so subtle admission you can't respond to most of my points.

Yeah our QBs take more hits than other offenses. Imo, there's a pretty big difference taking shots you are ready for and see coming versus standing upright in the pocket and getting crushed from your blindside.

If you gave me the choice, I'd rather take 5-10 of the former than one of the latter.

And come to think of it, iirc Nesbitt's big injury in 2008 came from a strained hamstring at the end of a long run where he wasn't touched, not really the type of pounding you are talking about.

CPJ said himself that he thought it wasn't necessarily correct that QBs are more likely to get injured in his offense. I agree with him - the QB position in general is a lightning rod for injury. I haven't seen any studies, but I'd bet pocket passing QBs go down with injury roughly the same as ours if not more.

Anyways, that's beside the point. It does our roster more good now to have our #3 QB try out to play at BB (if he can beat out those others). He's just a better natural runner - the very same skill that made him our #3 QB last year. He's already been the #3 QB and practiced in our offense for two years. That alone, IMO, makes him a better replacement than Vad. Don't hold the fact that Sims is an incredible athlete and can play a position that Vad can't against Sims. Even at the end of the year he'll have had more reps than Vad has had as a QB in this offense AND the perspective of trying to take the mesh from the other side (BB).

I'm done with you unless you actually want to respond to those points, as fun as it is arguing with myself.

Back