Vad will start the bowl game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Totally disagree here. If CPJ thinks he can win with Vad he will play him more just like he did at UNC where Vad's athleticism gave him an edge. Some of it will come down to who our bowl opponent is and how Vad matches up against them. Vad matched up well with what UNC was doing; not so well against FSU.

He might not think he could win with Vad but, and here's breaking news for CPJ, he couldn't win with Tevin either!!! Tevin never beat VT, Miami, UGA, or FSU. He never won a bowl game. It was Vad that beat both UNC and Presbyterian this year. So Tevin, this year, beat UVA, MD, Duke and Boston College. Tevin couldn't move the ball against BYU or, drum roll please, Middle Tennessee!

Against UGA, VT (twice), Miami (twice) and FSU, Tevin has thrown game changing interceptions or made stupid decisions in overtime.

Against UNC this year, where we put up 68 points in the most explosive game in the CPJ era, Johnson goes out of his way to comment that Tevin scored out higher than Lee. I don't know what f**king game he was watching, but Johnson never had a QB put a game on his back like that one and win it himself. Johnson seems to believe that the games is played statistically, on a computer, rather than by players making plays on a field. Does anyone really believe we wouldn't have won 6 games this year with Vad taking snaps?

FLAME ON!
Johnson and his blind loyalty to his 'system' and his favorite 'personnel' have taken GT football to a low that, IMHO, is even below anything that Chan fielded. And now we have lost a full year of development at the QB position because of his arrogance. As far as I am concerned, he should be coaching service academy football because he cannot get out of his own way to be successful at the FBS level.

FLAME OFF (but not extinguished)!

To the people saying Vad didn't get enough playing time to develop this year. Can you name a few 2nd string QB's that got more quality playing time in developing roles (not injury related substitutions) in the past few years? (Not just here, but at any BCS school)

Everett Golson in place of Tommy Rees this year at Notre Dame.

Depends on how our OL does.

Too many naive people on here think we can give Vad enough time to make our passing game magically work against teams with massive DLs.

Agree with your first point, of course, but disagree with your second. Tevin's passing problems have not been due to issues with lack of time.

I'm not saying we're going to go back to being the most efficient passing team in the nation, but we could be doing a lot better than we are without an upgrade to the OL.

Agree with your first point, of course, but disagree with your second. Tevin's passing problems have not been due to issues with lack of time.

I'm not saying we're going to go back to being the most efficient passing team in the nation, but we could be doing a lot better than we are without an upgrade to the OL.

The only time where we have time to pass is when our running game is working and we're keeping the defense on their toes. When we're behind, with the time running out, and we're forced to pass... it doesn't matter which QB we have, neither one will be able to be comfortable in the pocket without our OL being able to better pass block.

Johnson and his blind loyalty to his 'system' and his favorite 'personnel' have taken GT football to a low that, IMHO, is even below anything that Chan fielded.

I don't think we hired him to run someone else's system here.

I'm actually disappointed that he decided to implement the pistol. I haven't seen much good from the plays we run out of that formation.

The only time where we have time to pass is when our running game is working and we're keeping the defense on their toes. When we're behind, with the time running out, and we're forced to pass... it doesn't matter which QB we have, neither one will be able to be comfortable in the pocket without our OL being able to better pass block.

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree here. I recall many times where Tevin had time to throw and a wide open receiver and just missed him.

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree here. I recall many times where Tevin had time to throw and a wide open receiver and just missed him.

Are we completely discounting the number of times Vad has overthrown a wide open receiver? I'm all for Vad playing but it's not like he is without flaws.

Are we completely discounting the number of times Vad has overthrown a wide open receiver? I'm all for Vad playing but it's not like he is without flaws.

When did I say Vad was without flaws? I don't even know that he would necessarily have done or will do better than Tevin. I just know that no one was surprised at all by what happened last night, or at least they shouldn't have been.

When did I say Vad was without flaws? I don't even know that he would necessarily have done or will do better than Tevin. I just know that no one was surprised at all by what happened last night, or at least they shouldn't have been.

I guess my post came across as attacking you directly. It just seems like there is way too much selective memory going on. Tevin misses way too many passes, but Vad seems to get anxious in the pocket which leads to some overthrows.

At least he has the ability to overthrow a wide receiver.

All I know is Tevin had 4 completions out of 14 attempts for a total of 76 yards. He hit ONE person in stride. The other three completions were catches the receivers had to make good catches on. The other passes were crap. Total crap. He ööööt his pants in the very last series with mishandling a snap and, oh yeah, through a pick to end the game.

Well yeah, I guess if Tevin had been arrested you might have a valid point.

Rees was only suspended for the first game. There was much talk before the opener against Navy that Kelly wanted to go with Golson even after Rees came back. He was ready to move on and develop Golson. Rees actually came in a game early in the season where the Irish were down and Golson got injured while having a miserable day and won the game for them on the last drive. Golson still remained the starter. All that said, I know you will brush it off because you will believe only in what you want to. That's fine.

I think we will be better next year but also feel like our QB development will hold us back somewhat. I think Johnson made a poor decision by playing Washington as much as he did this year. Now we are left to wonder if Vad can get it done or not. We really still don't know. In my opinion we could have had a similar record and been gaining on the QB development front by playing Vad for most of this season.

With some defense at all we should be able to win 8 games next year. If Vad is as good as I think he can be, we may be able to win 10 or more. If he is a bust, we are back to floundering around and finishing 6 and 6 or worse. If that happens I think Johnson will be looking for work in 2014.

Go Jackets!

It is just beyond maddening that PJ won't use Vad in obvious passing situations, like the last drive of the FSU game. I just CANNOT understand what he has seen from TW that makes him think he can do this late game passing heroics thing????

How many late game situations does Tevin have to throw an interception or overthrow a wide open receiver streaking towards the endzone in before he is no longer considered the best option to win the game? I guess probably one more.

Vad has thrown pretty spirals ten yards over the heads of wide open receivers on a critical play, but you have wiped it out of your mind in your fanboy ecstasy. He has overthrown open receivers a couple of times as well, but worse was over throwing a covered receiver when receivers were open short. He has also blown reads on many other plays you don't notice because you don' t know what was supposed to happen.

Watch how the coach reacts. He was upset with Vad not because the play was wrong or blew up. Vad executed incorrectly. If you review old games you will see him do the same to Tevin, more last year than this year, more the previous year than that. ( And, unlike fans, he does not blame or credit the QB on every success or failure. If the fault was a missed block, or incorrect route, then that player gets the grief. )

Decisions are the issue, not ability. And only the coach is a good judge of those decisions because only the coach knows what was supposed to happen ( both running reads and passing check downs ) on the plays.

Look at the situation in San Franciso for an analogy. The backup got in and played a great game because of his stronger arm and athleticism. Because of that game he got a start. Then he arguably lost the game with mental mistakes.

The press, most former players, is split on Harbaugh's decision. Some see the upside and say play the hot hand. Others have seen the hot hand go cold suddenly too often and say go with experience every time. Either way the coach has to make the call and probably second guesses themselves every time it goes south.

I was surprised not to see Vad play more in the second half because I missed the first half entirely and saw us down by two scores. I just watched his series and he had some great runs and one good pass. Judging by CPJs reaction, he messed up badly on a key play and that seemed to end his play for the game.

Vad will play more when he minimizes his mistakes more.

I don't disagree; but here's a news flash: "Vad is not the best player". Vad has more energy and more athleticism; but he is held back by poor decision making. You can't make somebody more athletic; but a good coach can vastly improve decision making and Vad's potential has a very high ceiling. We have a better opportunity at winning with Tevin unless Vad has an athletic edge on the defense, he didn't have that edge last night. Whether Vad is the best option in the bowl depends on who we are up against. I'm not in favor of throwing away the bowl game just to get Vad experience, we should try to win it.

This... I made it bigger so the almost blind might be able to read it and absorb the truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back