Vad will start the bowl game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vad has thrown pretty spirals ten yards over the heads of wide open receivers on a critical play, but you have wiped it out of your mind in your fanboy ecstasy. He has overthrown open receivers a couple of times as well, but worse was over throwing a covered receiver when receivers were open short. He has also blown reads on many other plays you don't notice because you don' t know what was supposed to happen.

Watch how the coach reacts. He was upset with Vad not because the play was wrong or blew up. Vad executed incorrectly. If you review old games you will see him do the same to Tevin, more last year than this year, more the previous year than that. ( And, unlike fans, he does not blame or credit the QB on every success or failure. If the fault was a missed block, or incorrect route, then that player gets the grief. )

Decisions are the issue, not ability. And only the coach is a good judge of those decisions because only the coach knows what was supposed to happen ( both running reads and passing check downs ) on the plays.

Look at the situation in San Franciso for an analogy. The backup got in and played a great game because of his stronger arm and athleticism. Because of that game he got a start. Then he arguably lost the game with mental mistakes.

The press, most former players, is split on Harbaugh's decision. Some see the upside and say play the hot hand. Others have seen the hot hand go cold suddenly too often and say go with experience every time. Either way the coach has to make the call and probably second guesses themselves every time it goes south.

I was surprised not to see Vad play more in the second half because I missed the first half entirely and saw us down by two scores. I just watched his series and he had some great runs and one good pass. Judging by CPJs reaction, he messed up badly on a key play and that seemed to end his play for the game.

Vad will play more when he minimizes his mistakes more.

Well said and OBJECTIVE. :biggthumpup:

... Johnson never had a QB put a game on his back like that one and win it himself.
Not just wrong, but dead wrong. From Tracy Ham to Josh Nesbitt, CPJ has had QBs who have put the team on their back and drove them to victory.

Tevin did everything right against F$U up until the int. Vad can't even follow simple instructions and sometimes botches straightforward reads. You can't put together a game winning drive with a QB who can't execute fundamentals.

QBs throwing interceptions is part of the game. Not running the correct play or not hitting the correct gap is NOT part of the game. I don't blame CPJ one bit for playing TW the rest of the game - he might not be God's gift to the QB world but at least he doesn't make MENTAL errors on game winning drives.

Vad needs to calm down and remember who the coach is and quit deciding after the ball is snapped that "... hey, I bet I can get more yards if I run left instead of right."

I don't care who you are or who you think you are - you don't do what coach tells you to do then your butt gets benched. You want to blame somebody for TW's interception? Blame Vad Lee - he's had two years to learn how to run the offense and he still can't do it.

Overlook Vad's shorcomings all you want. Next year, if he doesn't fix them, there will be folks saying that CPJ has hitched his wagon to Vad while "the more talented Justin Thomas" languishes on the bench. Different year, same crap.

You want to blame somebody for TW's interception? Blame Vad Lee - he's had two years to learn how to run the offense and he still can't do it.

:eekfacepalm:

Overlook Vad's shorcomings all you want. Next year, if he doesn't fix them, there will be folks saying that CPJ has hitched his wagon to Vad while "the more talented Justin Thomas" languishes on the bench. Different year, same crap.

:biggthumpup:

Not just wrong, but dead wrong. From Tracy Ham to Josh Nesbitt, CPJ has had QBs who have put the team on their back and drove them to victory.

Tevin did everything right against F$U up until the int. Vad can't even follow simple instructions and sometimes botches straightforward reads. You can't put together a game winning drive with a QB who can't execute fundamentals.

QBs throwing interceptions is part of the game. Not running the correct play or not hitting the correct gap is NOT part of the game. I don't blame CPJ one bit for playing TW the rest of the game - he might not be God's gift to the QB world but at least he doesn't make MENTAL errors on game winning drives.

Vad needs to calm down and remember who the coach is and quit deciding after the ball is snapped that "... hey, I bet I can get more yards if I run left instead of right."

I don't care who you are or who you think you are - you don't do what coach tells you to do then your butt gets benched. You want to blame somebody for TW's interception? Blame Vad Lee - he's had two years to learn how to run the offense and he still can't do it.

Are you saying TW does make mental errors on game losing drives? I think that is an area where you can find a lot of agreement.

I think what it boils down to is it takes great athletes to win in this arena. It is obvious who the better athlete is. Our coaches like many have been unable to coach the mental mistakes out of our QBs who appear to have more ability. We have seen it for decades at Tech. We saw it with Donny Davis and Bilbo. Many even wanted Nesbitt to play as a Freshman. All coaches have egos that rightfully want the plan that they draw up to be carried out on the field. Sometimes great athletic ability can over come screwing up that plan sometimes it can't.

Are you saying TW does make mental errors on game losing drives? I think that is an area where you can find a lot of agreement.
I meant to say "potential" game winning drives. I don't consider an interception a mental error (I think that's a physical error like a missed shot in basketball); I reserve "mental error" for mistakes like making the wrong read, hitting the wrong hole, calling the wrong play, etc.

My point is that while TW might make costly physical errors, he doesn't make many mental ones whereas VL makes a lot of mental ones. This, imho, is why CPJ said TW graded higher in the UNC game than VL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back