Venables or Bust

Venables isn't leaving Clemson anytime soon. Go after this guy https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neal_Brown
He ought to be on the list. There is no shortage of good coaches. Are they the right coach for us? That is what the process is to determine. Unfortunately, for the past forty years we've done a terrible job of hiring coaches. Bobby Ross just fell into our lap, and from Ross's perspective, we were not a good fit for him.

He ought to be on the list. There is no shortage of good coaches. Are they the right coach for us? That is what the process is to determine. Unfortunately, for the past forty years we've done a terrible job of hiring coaches. Bobby Ross just fell into our lap, and from Ross's perspective, we were not a good fit for him.

I know it's ending badly but I would still say CPJ was a great hire for us. His list of accomplishments is quite good and unless he comes back for a couple more bowlless seasons, I'll look back on his tenure fondly overall.

There is no shortage of good coaches.
But
Unfortunately, for the past forty years we've done a terrible job of hiring coaches.
Maybe there aren't as many good coaches as you think. Texas, Michigan, Alabama, Notre Dame, FSU, etc, etc have long histories of bad hires. Literally no program out there finds it easy to hire good coaches.

But

Maybe there aren't as many good coaches as you think. Texas, Michigan, Alabama, Notre Dame, FSU, etc, etc have long histories of bad hires. Literally no program out there finds it easy to hire good coaches.
I don't disagree. I have said repeatedly the hiring is a crapshoot, eckspecially if you are hiring the flavor of the month and not trying to make the best fit. Nobody could have thought Bo Pelini would work in Nebraska.

Back