Wanted: Jalen Carter

Yeah need to have some depositions talking about binge drinking and strip clubs from university officials
This. Uga doesn't want people asking questions to witnesses under oath. "Did Uga facilitate the NIL deal to get Carter his 700hp SUV?". Ineligible player, all wins forfeited. This is one player on a team of some of the highest paid guys in the sport so imagine all of the secrets they are keeping.

This. Uga doesn't want people asking questions to witnesses under oath. "Did Uga facilitate the NIL deal to get Carter his 700hp SUV?". Ineligible player, all wins forfeited. This is one player on a team of some of the highest paid guys in the sport so imagine all of the secrets they are keeping.
Some of y’all are delusional. UGA isn’t scared of any secrets you think they have. There are no secrets. They want to win at football and as a school they decided to do things to win. They bought Herschel 40 plus years ago and won a Natty. And now they are successful above everyone else. Y’all act like they shouldn’t have tried. Just because our school is not unified and hasn‘t done the things to make our program wildly successful doesn’t mean Oklahoma, Bama, Clemson, UGA, Ohio St, are somehow beneath us. There are no rules and the NCAA enforces nothing.

What many of our fans never account for is that the schools and the football program are two completely different entities. So UGA or GT bringing in players who would never be accepted the normal way have zero bearing on the school itself. I lived in Woodruff with the 1990 Final Four Hoops team and let me tell you that many of those players including the highest ranked GT hoops recruit ever and highest drafted GT player ever. They were recruited by Cremins to be hoopsters, not students. And we all remember those teams fondly and those players brought a lot of incredible and positive press for GT. As a GT fan I would love to see us do what UGA does to better their program and win games. I’m tired of seeing my school being run down in the press because we suck at sports. Sure, we are a great academic school but can’t we also be good at sports at the same time - or is that not allowed?

There are no rules and the NCAA enforces nothing.

Yep, everyone needs to come to this realization.

But the general public still considers college players to be "student athletes" and most of them still are. This is a funky era we are in where the guys who are worried about grades are supposed to be on the same level as the guys worried about their draft status. All of the elements that used to keep the playing field somewhat level are now irrelevant and it's an NIL money game.

Some of y’all are delusional. UGA isn’t scared of any secrets you think they have. There are no secrets. They want to win at football and as a school they decided to do things to win. They bought Herschel 40 plus years ago and won a Natty. And now they are successful above everyone else. Y’all act like they shouldn’t have tried. Just because our school is not unified and hasn‘t done the things to make our program wildly successful doesn’t mean Oklahoma, Bama, Clemson, UGA, Ohio St, are somehow beneath us. There are no rules and the NCAA enforces nothing.

What many of our fans never account for is that the schools and the football program are two completely different entities. So UGA or GT bringing in players who would never be accepted the normal way have zero bearing on the school itself. I lived in Woodruff with the 1990 Final Four Hoops team and let me tell you that many of those players including the highest ranked GT hoops recruit ever and highest drafted GT player ever. They were recruited by Cremins to be hoopsters, not students. And we all remember those teams fondly and those players brought a lot of incredible and positive press for GT. As a GT fan I would love to see us do what UGA does to better their program and win games. I’m tired of seeing my school being run down in the press because we suck at sports. Sure, we are a great academic school but can’t we also be good at sports at the same time - or is that not allowed?
It would not be ok with me if we used the same tactics that are used in the cesspool. We thrived in the past in spite of emphasizing academics, and the only thing that might prevent us from thriving again are NIL and a spineless NCAA......or an effin' clown as head coach.

It would not be ok with me if we used the same tactics that are used in the cesspool. We thrived in the past in spite of emphasizing academics, and the only thing that might prevent us from thriving again are NIL and a spineless NCAA......or an effin' clown as head coach.
Listen, in a perfect world I’d agree. But what are these horrible tactics UGA uses? They simply use the tools at their disposal to get high end players to play for them. Why is this wrong? What they are doing is no different than what Cremins and Ross did when we were winning.

And when have we ever thrived? We had a couple of great seasons over the past 35 years but no one but delusional GT fans would use the word “thrive” when it comes to our athletic programs. Sure, we’ve been above average compared to our ACC brethren but come on. I was in school with our Natty team and Final Four teams. I lived in Woodruff with most of those players and I was a Mgt major with a lot of them. The high end guys were not at GT for academics. We won because we had some hard a$$ed dudes on defense who would cut you. Just like UGA has every year.

And our fanbase does nothing but make excuses like you did. I’ve spent 30 some years as an adult listening to GT fans make excuse after excuse. Every geographic school around us outside of South Carolina (Bama, UGA, Auburn, FSU, Florida, Clemson) has won a Natty since us and they play under the exact same system as we do. Yet we whine about the NCAA and NIL. It’s tiresome. GT either needs to just accept being irrelevant in athletics or actually put in the work. This constant “woe is me” is just juvenile.

Listen, in a perfect world I’d agree. But what are these horrible tactics UGA uses? They simply use the tools at their disposal to get high end players to play for them. Why is this wrong? What they are doing is no different than what Cremins and Ross did when we were winning.

And when have we ever thrived? We had a couple of great seasons over the past 35 years but no one but delusional GT fans would use the word “thrive” when it comes to our athletic programs. Sure, we’ve been above average compared to our ACC brethren but come on. I was in school with our Natty team and Final Four teams. I lived in Woodruff with most of those players and I was a Mgt major with a lot of them. The high end guys were not at GT for academics. We won because we had some hard a$$ed dudes on defense who would cut you. Just like UGA has every year.

And our fanbase does nothing but make excuses like you did. I’ve spent 30 some years as an adult listening to GT fans make excuse after excuse. Every geographic school around us outside of South Carolina (Bama, UGA, Auburn, FSU, Florida, Clemson) has won a Natty since us and they play under the exact same system as we do. Yet we whine about the NCAA and NIL. It’s tiresome. GT either needs to just accept being irrelevant in athletics or actually put in the work. This constant “woe is me” is just juvenile.
We thrived, in terms of wins and losses, from the early part of the 20th century until the mid 60s. Yes, the culture was considerably different then, but other schools, mainly UGAG, always brought up the academic requirements at Tech as a tool to win over recruits. Wally Butts famously left calculus books in the homes of recruits he visited, with the question, "do you really want to have to take this?" I am not aware of any total dufuses whom Ross recruited, but yes, Cremins had a few. But those, and any that Ross might have recruited, were in the minority. Today it is not so much the academics or really even NIL that disgusts me about the cesspool. They flagrantly do not have or enforce any standards of behavior and hold no one accountable for anything. The fact that Stetson Bennett could be there for 7 (SEVEN) years and not get a degree, that tells me he never even bothered to go to any classes and certainly broke the long-standing rule of progressing towards a degree. Cremins and our fans may have been ok with one-and-doners, but he still believed and enforced some measure of discipline and accountability, and I believe the fans wanted that. Winning alone, contrary to what many think, is not the only gauge for thriving. I contend that even with way-too-many poor or bad seasons since the mid-60s, Tech still thrived in the sense that we were recognized in a positive light and respected. Collins obviously put an end to that, but there is no reason why we can't return to that pre-Collins state again and thrive in an overall sense. And it is possible IMO that we can thrive again in terms of wins and losses.

I didn’t realize you were talking about 60 plus years ago. That should tell you how far GT has fallen when you have to go back that far.

I didn’t realize you were talking about 60 plus years ago. That should tell you how far GT has fallen when you have to go back that far.
That is only in terms of wins and losses. You don't have to go back 60 years to find a time when we were recognized and respected. That was only 6 years ago, and if TStan and Peterson had given CPJ the support that (thank God) JBatt and Cabrera are giving Key, then I think we could have thrived in terms of wins as well. Do you not think we thrived under GOL? I sure do. And to a great extent under Chan too.

That is only in terms of wins and losses. You don't have to go back 60 years to find a time when we were recognized and respected. That was only 6 years ago, and if TStan and Peterson had given CPJ the support that (thank God) JBatt and Cabrera are giving Key, then I think we could have thrived in terms of wins as well. Do you not think we thrived under GOL? I sure do. And to a great extent under Chan too.
Listen, I love GT and hate UGA and the color red. I despise that place for many reasons but I absolutely have no problem with a group of people who set on path to be successful at something. Since this is a football forum it makes no sense for me to post about the many other things GT does well. Or about which schools has the best chess program or robotics programs, etc. UGA no matter how much we all hate them has played by the system set up by the school Presidents and have been wildly successful at football. No one cares if the 85 players ever get a degree or get a job. All that matters are the 85 from year to year. The school and coaches are not parents. Do we care about our own players after they stop playing for GT? The answer is no.

As for GT, we have had some good years but nothing sustained because GT simply doesn’t care enough to do the things it takes for the 85. For O’Leary, yes we had a some nice years winning 6,5,7,10, 8, 9,and 8. We won a Carquest, Gator, and Seattle Bowls not really big time bowls. Sure, we beat UGA 3 straight which was great but it’s not like we were nationally relevant other than 1998 when we finished 9th. Point is if we were serious we would have paid O’Leary to stay or would have taken him back. Instead we became totally irrelevant until Johnson gave us a couple of solid years and an Orange Bowl top 5 ranking. But as you mentioned we didn’t support him so he bailed. And if we do find some success under Key he will leave too unless we pony up.

Listen, I love GT and hate UGA and the color red. I despise that place for many reasons but I absolutely have no problem with a group of people who set on path to be successful at something. Since this is a football forum it makes no sense for me to post about the many other things GT does well. Or about which schools has the best chess program or robotics programs, etc. UGA no matter how much we all hate them has played by the system set up by the school Presidents and have been wildly successful at football. No one cares if the 85 players ever get a degree or get a job. All that matters are the 85 from year to year. The school and coaches are not parents. Do we care about our own players after they stop playing for GT? The answer is no.

As for GT, we have had some good years but nothing sustained because GT simply doesn’t care enough to do the things it takes for the 85. For O’Leary, yes we had a some nice years winning 6,5,7,10, 8, 9,and 8. We won a Carquest, Gator, and Seattle Bowls not really big time bowls. Sure, we beat UGA 3 straight which was great but it’s not like we were nationally relevant other than 1998 when we finished 9th. Point is if we were serious we would have paid O’Leary to stay or would have taken him back. Instead we became totally irrelevant until Johnson gave us a couple of solid years and an Orange Bowl top 5 ranking. But as you mentioned we didn’t support him so he bailed. And if we do find some success under Key he will leave too unless we pony up.
There at least SEEMS to be an attitude by the AD and Pres that athletics matter, and if they maintain that attitude and put it to work, and not just on paper, then I think the sky's the limit. We certainly haven't had anything like that at Tech since Homer Rice, and even he didn't do some of the things I think he could have done.
As far as the mutts playing "by the system set up by the school," yes, they have, but I think that so-called system plays the overall system set up by but seldom enforced by the NCAA. It seems like whenever we have done something even vaguely not in that NCAA "system", we get screwed. The mutts meanwhile get away with it.

Back