Wanted: Jalen Carter

UGA player’s father, estate seek $40 million in lawsuit over fatal crash
University of Georgia football player Devin Willock and recruiting analyst Chandler LeCroy died when this 2021 Ford Expedition crashed early on Jan. 15. A lawsuit filed by Willock's father and estate is seeking $40 million in damages.  CECILEY PANGBURN / For the AJC's father and estate is seeking $40 million in damages.  CECILEY PANGBURN / For the AJC

Caption
Credit: Photo provided by Ceciley Pangburn

NEWS
By Alan Judd - The Atlanta Journal-ConstitutionDylan Jackson - The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
6 minutes ago

The University of Georgia’s athletic department should be held liable for a January car crash that killed a UGA football player and recruiting analyst, a new lawsuit filed by the player’s father and estate claims.

The lawsuit, filed Tuesday in Gwinnett County, also assigns blame for the crash to former Georgia defensive star Jalen Carter and to Chandler LeCroy, the recruiting analyst who died in the crash along with offensive lineman Devin Willock. The lawsuit also names the owner of an Athens strip club, Toppers International Showbar, where Carter, LeCroy and others with the football program had gathered before the crash.
Carter, who is serving 12 months probation on charges related to the crash, was driving on a suspended Florida license when he led LeCroy on a high-speed race through Athens early Jan. 15, the lawsuit alleges. LeCroy’s SUV, rented by the university, was traveling at more than 100 mph seconds before it left the roadway and struck utility poles, trees and an apartment building. Willock was ejected from the vehicle and died at the scene. LeCroy was pronounced dead at an Athens hospital.

The crash occurred after a day and night of celebration of Georgia’s second consecutive national football championship. It raised questions about the culture surrounding the school’s football program. Several players have been charged for excessive speeding, street racing, reckless driving and other offenses before and since the crash.
The lawsuit was filed by Willock’s father, Dave, and his estate.

Caption
Devin Willock, an offensive lineman for the University of Georgia Bulldogs, died in a car crash on Jan. 15.  JASON GETZ / Jason.Getz@ajc.com

Credit: Jason Getz / Jason.Getz@ajc.com
In an interview Wednesday, William Stiles, one of Dave Willock’s lawyers, said allegations in the lawsuit are “supported by public statements of the university, evidence and statements disclosed in the media by various entities and our own investigation.”

“Lawsuits are about accountability and justice, and Mr. Willock is seeking accountability for all those involved in the death of his son Devin and justice for Devin,” Stiles said.
Dave Willock’s lawyers recently notified state officials of their intent to file a separate lawsuit against the university
The case against Toppers is a tough one simply due to nature of location. A dram shop case requires proof that (1) the bar served someone who was in a noticeable state of intoxication (2) having known or should have known that the person was likely to drive a motor vehicle. Downtown Athens is a walking area and a ton of people just walk home to campus. Unless she was twirling keys on her finger or an employee knew her, saw her drive up(not likely because of where she parked), or something like that, it’s really hard to satisfy that second element of proof.

The case against Toppers is a tough one simply due to nature of location. A dram shop case requires proof that (1) the bar served someone who was in a noticeable state of intoxication (2) having known or should have known that the person was likely to drive a motor vehicle. Downtown Athens is a walking area and a ton of people just walk home to campus. Unless she was twirling keys on her finger or an employee knew her, saw her drive up(not likely because of where she parked), or something like that, it’s really hard to satisfy that second element of proof.
This potentially gets defendants pointing fingers at each other though, and may help expose more dirt on them

This potentially gets defendants pointing fingers at each other though, and may help expose more dirt on them
True, but the deep pockets are the UGAAA and not some dive strip club in a college town. All of the mutts seem to think that if uga told her “no driving cars on unofficial business” that’s enough to insulate the AA. But if someone pops up and says “that’s what they told us but everyone knew the vehicles were used for unofficial purposes and no one stopped it,” they could be writing a big check.

True, but the deep pockets are the UGAAA and not some dive strip club in a college town. All of the mutts seem to think that if uga told her “no driving cars on unofficial business” that’s enough to insulate the AA. But if someone pops up and says “that’s what they told us but everyone knew the vehicles were used for unofficial purposes and no one stopped it,” they could be writing a big check.
Might have been said but if she wasn't allowed to drive it then why she have the keys?

I hope UGA doesn't have the wisdom to settle and it gets ugly. I guess though I should hope more that the victims' families gets substantial compensation.

I hope UGA doesn't have the wisdom to settle and it gets ugly. I guess though I should hope more that the victims' families gets substantial compensation.
Yeah need to have some depositions talking about binge drinking and strip clubs from university officials

There is a new article in the AJC today that has more info on the case. I can't copy and paste it like I usually do, so I will have to send it in parts, one post at a time.

I would not call Dooley a scumbag. I would say that he was two faced, a negative recruiter, and that his athletes were not held as accountable for their classroom effort and behavior as other programs. He made promises to players he did not keep and I know he could not have been more negative recruiting against us and his own alma mater. I think my late Dad would concur with this assessment. He was an Atlanta area coach in Dooley’s early days and was actually Vince’s teammate on the Auburn basketball team. He would have sung the praises of his old coach Joel Eaves and good Auburn and coaching buddy, Erk Russell even after they went to UGA. But Vince? Nah.
My dad was also at Auburn with Vince. Said he was an arrogant prick.

In addition to that article I just posted, I also read yesterday that yet another UGA football player had been arrested for drunk driving this week. I can't find that article now though

Repost

UGA player’s father, estate seek $40 million in lawsuit over fatal crash
University of Georgia football player Devin Willock and recruiting analyst Chandler LeCroy died when this 2021 Ford Expedition crashed early on Jan. 15. A lawsuit filed by Willock's father and estate is seeking $40 million in damages.  CECILEY PANGBURN / For the AJC's father and estate is seeking $40 million in damages.  CECILEY PANGBURN / For the AJC

Caption
Credit: Photo provided by Ceciley Pangburn

NEWS
By Alan Judd - The Atlanta Journal-ConstitutionDylan Jackson - The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
6 minutes ago

The University of Georgia’s athletic department should be held liable for a January car crash that killed a UGA football player and recruiting analyst, a new lawsuit filed by the player’s father and estate claims.

The lawsuit, filed Tuesday in Gwinnett County, also assigns blame for the crash to former Georgia defensive star Jalen Carter and to Chandler LeCroy, the recruiting analyst who died in the crash along with offensive lineman Devin Willock. The lawsuit also names the owner of an Athens strip club, Toppers International Showbar, where Carter, LeCroy and others with the football program had gathered before the crash.
Carter, who is serving 12 months probation on charges related to the crash, was driving on a suspended Florida license when he led LeCroy on a high-speed race through Athens early Jan. 15, the lawsuit alleges. LeCroy’s SUV, rented by the university, was traveling at more than 100 mph seconds before it left the roadway and struck utility poles, trees and an apartment building. Willock was ejected from the vehicle and died at the scene. LeCroy was pronounced dead at an Athens hospital.

The crash occurred after a day and night of celebration of Georgia’s second consecutive national football championship. It raised questions about the culture surrounding the school’s football program. Several players have been charged for excessive speeding, street racing, reckless driving and other offenses before and since the crash.
The lawsuit was filed by Willock’s father, Dave, and his estate.

Caption
Devin Willock, an offensive lineman for the University of Georgia Bulldogs, died in a car crash on Jan. 15.  JASON GETZ / Jason.Getz@ajc.com

Credit: Jason Getz / Jason.Getz@ajc.com
In an interview Wednesday, William Stiles, one of Dave Willock’s lawyers, said allegations in the lawsuit are “supported by public statements of the university, evidence and statements disclosed in the media by various entities and our own investigation.”

“Lawsuits are about accountability and justice, and Mr. Willock is seeking accountability for all those involved in the death of his son Devin and justice for Devin,” Stiles said.
Dave Willock’s lawyers recently notified state officials of their intent to file a separate lawsuit against the university

I can't read the first article because of a paywall, but the second is part of an AJC article

1683851799487.png

ATHENS — Georgia football player Jamaal Jarrett issued a public apology for “racially insensitive remarks” he made while watching the NFL draft April 27.

A freshman defensive lineman from Greensboro, North Carolina, Jarrett was livestreaming on his Instagram account while watching the first round of the draft with teammates in the team locker room at the Butts-Mehre football facility. The Bulldogs were awaiting anxiously teammate Jalen Carter’s selection when an Asian mentee named Shane was introduced as a member of the Kansas City chapter of Big Brothers and Sisters of America and brought to the NFL commissioner’s podium to announce the Falcons’ first-round selection.
That’s when Jarrett shouted a slur usually directed toward Asians. The remark was later recast and condemned on other social-media platforms. The Falcons picked running back Bijan Robinson with the eighth pick, then Carter was selected by the Philadelphia Eagles with the next selection.

“I feel ashamed by my actions that have caused tremendous hurt and pain, especially to those in the AAPI community, and I truly do apologize,” Jarett wrote in a statement that was posted on his Twitter and Instagram accounts. “I did not mean any hate or harm towards anyone. I cannot change the mistake that I made, but I control what I do and say in the future and this is an opportunity for growth.”

No bad culture in the cesspool, huh? Yeah, RIGHT

I can't read the first article because of a paywall, but the second is part of an AJC article

1683851799487.png

ATHENS — Georgia football player Jamaal Jarrett issued a public apology for “racially insensitive remarks” he made while watching the NFL draft April 27.

A freshman defensive lineman from Greensboro, North Carolina, Jarrett was livestreaming on his Instagram account while watching the first round of the draft with teammates in the team locker room at the Butts-Mehre football facility. The Bulldogs were awaiting anxiously teammate Jalen Carter’s selection when an Asian mentee named Shane was introduced as a member of the Kansas City chapter of Big Brothers and Sisters of America and brought to the NFL commissioner’s podium to announce the Falcons’ first-round selection.
That’s when Jarrett shouted a slur usually directed toward Asians. The remark was later recast and condemned on other social-media platforms. The Falcons picked running back Bijan Robinson with the eighth pick, then Carter was selected by the Philadelphia Eagles with the next selection.

“I feel ashamed by my actions that have caused tremendous hurt and pain, especially to those in the AAPI community, and I truly do apologize,” Jarett wrote in a statement that was posted on his Twitter and Instagram accounts. “I did not mean any hate or harm towards anyone. I cannot change the mistake that I made, but I control what I do and say in the future and this is an opportunity for growth.”

No bad culture in the cesspool, huh? Yeah, RIGHT
Very impressed with the statement that young man wrote himself, he should consider law school in the future.

Back