Watching old film

swampsting

Now with incredulous facial expression
When I watch the Spread Tripe under GREAT GSU coaches I'm in awe.
I still wish we ran the Spread Triple, but we now run the Pistol Option.
If we can win with it like we did for the 2 years under HC Fritz than great.
If not I want to return to the PJ spread T-Option.
Careful. You don't want the new coach to come to your place and break a steel chair over you, do you?

Jerry the Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Maybe we should put everyone in a yellow jersey if we are worried about players getting hurt. It's football. Somebodies going to get hurt, especially if they are playing not to get hurt.

Go Jackets!

ramblinwise1

beware the zealot
When I watch the Spread Tripe under GREAT GSU coaches I'm in awe.
I still wish we ran the Spread Triple, but we now run the Pistol Option.
If we can win with it like we did for the 2 years under HC Fritz than great.
If not I want to return to the PJ spread T-Option.
We'd be happy to send PJ back to Boro. Lets make a deal.

GSUsTALON

Flats Noob
Careful. You don't want the new coach to come to your place and break a steel chair over you, do you?
In a way you're right. The first 2 years we used the Pistol option under HC Fritz it worked very well.
The last 2 years under 2 different coaches it has not.

I must give our new HC a chance with it. (my bad) If he can put use in position to win the conference and win SOME bowls I'll be OK with Pistol Triple.
GSU was just so successful using PJ's Spread Triple, since 1985 , its hard to reset . I hope we are successful so I don't need the chair.

GSUsTALON

Flats Noob
Maybe we should put everyone in a yellow jersey if we are worried about players getting hurt. It's football. Somebodies going to get hurt, especially if they are playing not to get hurt.

Go Jackets!
So if you've got a great T-Option QB that could make the correct reads & hit 55-60% of his passes for 100+ yards a game you'ed risk him in a practice?
You may be deep enough to exchange the rest of the offense but not a great QB. I don't think you'll find many programs that let there QB get hit in practice.

Jerry the Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Having a great quarterback has not been an issue since Joe Hamilton. I know what you are saying. You protect the franchise. However, from my point of view we do not have one of those on our current roster. I think the only way you develop one is to put them in the fire and see if they are made of steel or tin.

Go Jackets!

Killick

“The past is never dead. It's not even past.”
Having a great quarterback has not been an issue since Joe Hamilton. I know what you are saying. You protect the franchise. However, from my point of view we do not have one of those on our current roster. I think the only way you develop one is to put them in the fire and see if they are made of steel or tin.

Go Jackets!
You must have missed Godsey in '2000.

User 8976

User account deleted
I have rare old film of ted roof preparing for the bubble pass in 2017.

saxondawg

Varsity Lurker
Is there a consensus that Nesbitt was the best QB of the Johnson era? In my view he was, though there has been good QB at times since. Johnson is a better coach than Gailey, but Gailey recruited better--and that's underlined by the fact that (arguably) Johnson's best players even for his system were Gailey's players recruited for another system. Again just my opinion, and probably a little distorted because Gailey had that one outlier class with Nesbitt, Burnett and others that matured in time for Johnson. If he'd recruited that well consistently he wouldn't have been fired. Nesbitt was incredibly physical and fearsome running the triple option.

Jacketeer

Flats Noob
Is there a consensus that Nesbitt was the best QB of the Johnson era? In my view he was, though there has been good QB at times since. Johnson is a better coach than Gailey, but Gailey recruited better--and that's underlined by the fact that (arguably) Johnson's best players even for his system were Gailey's players recruited for another system. Again just my opinion, and probably a little distorted because Gailey had that one outlier class with Nesbitt, Burnett and others that matured in time for Johnson. If he'd recruited that well consistently he wouldn't have been fired. Nesbitt was incredibly physical and fearsome running the triple option.
Mostly, yes. However, a lot of people(including myself) will say JT because of his accomplishments. His 2014 was insane. Better than any individual season that Nesbitt had. He also finished his career on a great note(crazy game against Duke, UGAg win, Gator Bowl win).

saxondawg

Varsity Lurker
Mostly, yes. However, a lot of people(including myself) will say JT because of his accomplishments. His 2014 was insane. Better than any individual season that Nesbitt had. He also finished his career on a great note(crazy game against Duke, UGAg win, Gator Bowl win).
I agree. JT did have that crazy-good season. Very hard to defend. My question, who's the next guy?

killerB

Sidewalk Fan
I agree. JT did have that crazy-good season. Very hard to defend. My question, who's the next guy?
Those two years were also probably the best collection of talent around them both. I wear my gold colored glasses every year, but as long as TM improves his arm strength, I think he could have that caliber season this year. Solid BBs. ABs returning. Need a WR to step up to be a threat. Lots of OL returning. All the makings of a solid offensive unit. I expect to see both big plays against our defense and big plays made by our defense. I'll favor us slightly in some toss ups. We can break it all down in the fall but gonna need an ACCCG appearance to put TM season in with JFN and JT.

One of the best things about Nesbitt was that friends who are fans of other teams would comment how badass it was to watch JFN run over folks. In 2014, those same people marveled at JT's ability to run and make big plays. I'm not sure TM can make non-GT fans tune in to see him in action, but I think he can get us the results we need in the W column.

ThisIsAtlanta

Break In Case Of Emergency
Staff member
Those two years were also probably the best collection of talent around them both. I wear my gold colored glasses every year, but as long as TM improves his arm strength, I think he could have that caliber season this year. Solid BBs. ABs returning. Need a WR to step up to be a threat. Lots of OL returning. All the makings of a solid offensive unit. I expect to see both big plays against our defense and big plays made by our defense. I'll favor us slightly in some toss ups. We can break it all down in the fall but gonna need an ACCCG appearance to put TM season in with JFN and JT.

One of the best things about Nesbitt was that friends who are fans of other teams would comment how badass it was to watch JFN run over folks. In 2014, those same people marveled at JT's ability to run and make big plays. I'm not sure TM can make non-GT fans tune in to see him in action, but I think he can get us the results we need in the W column.
Let's not forget that TM was being mentioned along side Lamar Jackson in week 1 of last year. I think he can turn heads, it's just a matter of closing these games out so the record doesn't turn off the TV.

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like
For me, it is a tossup between Nesbitt and Thomas. JT would get the nod if not for one awful year. What I would like is a qb with Nesbitt's size, JT's arm, and Tevin's mind.

GSUsTALON

Flats Noob
For me, it is a tossup between Nesbitt and Thomas. JT would get the nod if not for one awful year. What I would like is a qb with Nesbitt's size, JT's arm, and Tevin's mind.

I looked up both Nesbitt & Tomas. I remember Nesbitt. If you could get a QB with either of their skills you would be back in the black!

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.
The guy getting rave reviews this spring is Stephen Dolphus, RS sophomore, 6'5" 210.
He looked a head above many of the other WR's last season. He could be a physical beast if he chooses the Demaryius Thomas path of putting in the S/C work and studying film.