Watching old film

I agree. JT did have that crazy-good season. Very hard to defend. My question, who's the next guy?

Maybe we will follow the Dwag’s lead and just start a new QB every year?

I think it's fairly normal to put don't touch me shirt on your starting quarterback so he doesn't get injured during camp. Especially for a running quarterback. We're not the only ones doing it.

We only began doing it during JT's second year as a starter. Which, by the way, turned out to be our worst year in (forever).

Is there a consensus that Nesbitt was the best QB of the Johnson era?

Justin Thomas and Nesbitt were both so good there's no real differential. Tevin was close, and would have been much higher regarded if his defense ever did anything.

Which by the way, is not the reason why it turned out to be our worst year. Nice try though.

Sure, but it deserves mention that non-contact for QBs is a relatively new thing for CPJ. He never did it at any school before 2015.

Easy to lose sight of how much NCAA offenses have changed in the last 12/13 years. When Urban Meyer went to Florida is '05, it was considered an open question whether "that high school system" would work in the SEC. It worked immediately and won two national championships. Today stationary, drop-back QB offenses are dinosaurs, and even Bama is running a lot of spread option looks. The upshot of this for Tech, to me, is that when Johnson arrived in '08 I figured he get a much bigger look from the Deshawn Watsons of the world--or Tebows, as he said. This state produces a load of dual threat QBs, but now everybody is after them. I look at some of these five-star DTs and wonder what Johnson could do with them.

Easy to lose sight of how much NCAA offenses have changed in the last 12/13 years. When Urban Meyer went to Florida is '05, it was considered an open question whether "that high school system" would work in the SEC. It worked immediately and won two national championships. Today stationary, drop-back QB offenses are dinosaurs, and even Bama is running a lot of spread option looks. The upshot of this for Tech, to me, is that when Johnson arrived in '08 I figured he get a much bigger look from the Deshawn Watsons of the world--or Tebows, as he said. This state produces a load of dual threat QBs, but now everybody is after them. I look at some of these five-star DTs and wonder what Johnson could do with them.

We should go back to a drop back gunslinger type system and get the Payton Mannings nobody is looking for anymore.

The upshot of this for Tech, to me, is that when Johnson arrived in '08 I figured he get a much bigger look from the Deshawn Watsons of the world--or Tebows, as he said. This state produces a load of dual threat QBs, but now everybody is after them.

I think you may not understand what "upshot" means. Otherwise I think the post has some truth.

I think you may not understand what "upshot" means. Otherwise I think the post has some truth.
Googly dictionary says, "the final or eventual outcome or conclusion of a discussion, action, or series of events. Example:
'the upshot of the meeting was that he was on the next plane to New York.' Your correction has itself been
stamped-corrected-red-stamp-text-isolated-white-background-95896871.jpg

Johnson’s biggest assets and issues are himself. He’s a double edged sword. The system wins games without lots of talent, but he also is (was) handicapped in recruiting staff and by his somewhat surly demeanor. The recruiting is getting a staff upgrade, but the dividends from that are a year or two off. Thankfully, he’s happy for now and won’t leave. That said, another year like 15 or 17 in 18 and he’ll probably retire.

As far as recruiting, the ‘09 loss to y’all I think crushed most of our momentum for a few years. Glad to see @saxondawg are back this year regardless.

Back