"We need to get him on the field more..."

Architorture23

If ur players know u luv them, then u already won.
How many times have we heard Coach Johnson say this in regards to Jemea Thomas? At least 4 or 5 times...

Working with two assumptions here:
1) CPJ is pretty hands-off with the defense and lets Coach Groh do his thing for the most part.
2) Groh really holds size in high esteem and, therefore, has been playing I Johnson a lot more than Jemea, especially in his base set.

Is that quote from Johnson a subtle jab aimed at Groh and kinda prodding him to put Jemea in instead of #1?

This is the kinda question I'd really like to ask Coach on the call-in show but I think it has a very small chance of getting answered truthfully, and maybe for good reason. I also wouldn't want to bring up any divisiveness between the two coaches.

It doesn't really matter. Having depth is a good problem to have. The coaches watch the film after every game and grade each player's performance. If they thought Johnson were playing "indecisively" they wouldn't play him.

I think Thomas has earned a starting spot AT LEAST for the next game. Hopefully he keeps up the intensity and gets some more highlights.

Is divisiveness a word? If so, I'm impressed
yes, and thank you.

It doesn't really matter. Having depth is a good problem to have. The coaches watch the film after every game and grade each player's performance. If they thought Johnson were playing "indecisively" they wouldn't play him.
I think it matters because Isaiah Johnson has played a whole lot more minutes than Jemea and he is not as good a player.

I think CPJ might have been referring to using him for punt returns.

yes, and thank you.

I think it matters because Isaiah Johnson has played a whole lot more minutes than Jemea and he is not as good a player.

Johnson and Thomas don't play the same position. Johnson has been very good this year.

Johnson and Thomas don't play the same position. Johnson has been very good this year.

Agreed. They have both played well and would both start at a lot of other schools.
The fact that JT is playing lights out doesn't necessarily mean IJ sucks.

Johnson has been spotty. He's got some nice vulture-INT's and one great pick 6.

His tackling needs work. He plays safety and Jemea has played safety before and started out as a S. Now he plays as mainly a nickel db, but he could easily play the same thing Isaiah plays, imo. In fact, looking at the depth chart, Jemea is the first corner off the bench AND the first safety off the bench, so they do, in fact, play the same position.

http://georgiatech.rivals.com/cdepthtext.asp

And no, I'm not saying Isaiah isn't any good. He is. Maybe Jemea should be getting PT from Reid, instead, but I believe Reid's experience helps that secondary out a lot because of their youth.

I disagree with this statement. He hasn't sucked by any means, but he has hardly been "Very Good". His ACC DB of the week honors was given off of a stat line and hardly for his play in that game.

His run support this year has been awful, and he is the weakest in pass coverage of our 4 DB's in our base package.

Jemea may not play the position, but he has practiced it in the past before being moved to CB. Move him back. He's better than Isaiah and it ain't even close.

As to your comment about Johnson being hands off, I think that is accurate. During 09 he said that he spent too much time with the defense, so he wanted someone that he could count on to run the entire operation.

I disagree with this statement. He hasn't sucked by any means, but he has hardly been "Very Good". His ACC DB of the week honors was given off of a stat line and hardly for his play in that game.

His run support this year has been awful, and he is the weakest in pass coverage of our 4 DB's in our base package.

Jemea may not play the position, but he has practiced it in the past before being moved to CB. Move him back. He's better than Isaiah and it ain't even close.
You say. Look I don't know who has graded out better by game based on their assignments and am not arguing who has made bigger plays or anything like that. But for us to keep saying "A is better than B", when the coaches keep playing B clearly says something. More than likely it's that we dont' know what the hell we're talking about.

No. It's because Al Groh is a size guy, to a fault in some cases.

You say. Look I don't know who has graded out better by game based on their assignments and am not arguing who has made bigger plays or anything like that. But for us to keep saying "A is better than B", when the coaches keep playing B clearly says something. More than likely it's that we dont' know what the hell we're talking about.
That's what this whole thread is about. Coach Groh keeps playing Isaiah but Coach Johnson keeps saying "we need to get Jemea on the field more."

That's what this whole thread is about. Coach Groh keeps playing Isaiah but Coach Johnson keeps saying "we need to get Jemea on the field more."
But he hasn't said where or how. Maybe he means we have a lot of good DBs and we need to figure out how to use the all to the best effect?

I. Johnson takes awful angles on his tackles.
Sometimes he does. But he doesn't always and he isn't the only one who takes a bad angle sometimes. I'm not trying to head up the I Johnson fan club, just think it's interesting that we all think we know more than the coaching staff.

Back