"We need to get him on the field more..."

He'll be starting at S in the spring.

Would rather have him at corner and move young to saftey. I wouldn't want Young hitting me at full speed and Isaiah should get better and more experienced for next season. Also, iirc, the coaching staff highly regarded fred holton at safety, before his season ending injury. So for those hating on Isaiah, Holton could bump him.

The Watkins touchdown reception was on Johnson, imo. (just watched the replay)

We had him doubled, Thomas to the outside and Johnson to the inside. Watkins runs a double move, out and in, both guys bite on the out move only Johnson should not have done so because Thomas had that covered.

Neither guy could recover in time with the speed of Watkins and then he makes a great catch on the high throw. No doubt Watkins made a great play, but we had the right coverage and failed to execute.

Julian is big, but short. I think Groh breaks the mold sometimes.

He does eventually, which is at least a positive. It took Julian half the season last year to start too

You say. Look I don't know who has graded out better by game based on their assignments and am not arguing who has made bigger plays or anything like that. But for us to keep saying "A is better than B", when the coaches keep playing B clearly says something. More than likely it's that we dont' know what the hell we're talking about.

Because Groh is trying to fill a role with a guy with "protypical size". Ask him. Jemea isn't the same size. Jemea is going to be playing the safety spot soon. He's basically making it impossible to ignore him.

Sometimes he does. But he doesn't always and he isn't the only one who takes a bad angle sometimes. I'm not trying to head up the I Johnson fan club, just think it's interesting that we all think we know more than the coaching staff.

1.) Pretty confident in my analysis of the starting DB's in the base defensive package that Isaiah is the weak link.

2.) Fairly confident in my analysis (Like everyone else) that Jemea is a big time play maker that currently is not starting in the base package.

3.) Fairly confident that our two starting cornerbacks are the two best CB's we've had since Wille Clay and Curley Day.

4.) Fairly confident that Reid plays his safety spot better than Isaiah plays his.

5.) Since Jemea by default cannot surplant Sweeting and Young, you play him at the spot you could use the most help which is.......

Isaiah's position.

Wow... brain buster. Stop being so condescending. You yourself have made similar analysis in the past but this time, its different for some reason.

The Watkins touchdown reception was on Johnson, imo. (just watched the replay)

We had him doubled, Thomas to the outside and Johnson to the inside. Watkins runs a double move, out and in, both guys bite on the out move only Johnson should not have done so because Thomas had that covered.

Neither guy could recover in time with the speed of Watkins and then he makes a great catch on the high throw. No doubt Watkins made a great play, but we had the right coverage and failed to execute.

This is how I saw it too.

1.) Pretty confident in my analysis of the starting DB's in the base defensive package that Isaiah is the weak link.

2.) Fairly confident in my analysis (Like everyone else) that Jemea is a big time play maker that currently is not starting in the base package.

3.) Fairly confident that our two starting cornerbacks are the two best CB's we've had since Wille Clay and Curley Day.

4.) Fairly confident that Reid plays his safety spot better than Isaiah plays his.

5.) Since Jemea by default cannot surplant Sweeting and Young, you play him at the spot you could use the most help which is.......

Isaiah's position.

Wow... brain buster. Stop being so condescending. You yourself have made similar analysis in the past but this time, its different for some reason.

I agree with all this, but I don't know if:

1.) J. Thomas knows the defense and makes reads as well as I. Johnson

This would over rule all of the above and make sense for him to play nickle.

BOR is 100% right at least 65% of the time. Which is a credit to him, it's better than a lot of folks around here. I think BOR had Jemea spot on.

BOR is 100% right at least 65% of the time. Which is a credit to him, it's better than a lot of folks around here. I think BOR had Jemea spot on.

Thanks. I had it in week 1 too. :wink: I got blasted 6 weeks ago for saying that Isaiah Johnson was the weak link of our DB's.

We should just go to a 3-3-5 as the base if one of our LBs gets hurt again.

I agree with all this, but I don't know if:

1.) J. Thomas knows the defense and makes reads as well as I. Johnson

This would over rule all of the above and make sense for him to play nickle.

But Jemea skill set and intangibles are better than Isaiah that it allows him to make mistake or be out of position but still make a play ( i.e. Getting beat on the deep ball and having the mindset to play the man instead of the ball to get a pass breakup

Jemea plays CB in our nickle package. They move Young to the "nickle DB" spot in the nickle package and he plays the slot receiver.

Is it only up to Groh? Doesnt Coach Kelly have input on who plays in the secondary?

Jemea just flat out plays. He fights through blocks and probably wraps up the best of anybody on the team.

Isaiah's position.

All factual. But it Isaiah ain't half bad, so being the weak link is just what you said---a pretty decent group top to bottom that we haven't had in a while.

So.... the theory is that PJ is using the media to send a message to AG.

Hahahahahaha.

Trust me, anything that PJ believes is well known to his staff and players.

This is simply an example of PJ highlighting his guy's strong play. No hidden agenda, motives or goals.

Isaiah's position.

I like Thomas at CB. He does a great job of jamming at the line and has looked great defending the long ball in man coverage.

Young has always looked more like a S to me and is he is better in space than man-to-man IMO. I like having him in a position where he can rove like Polamalu.

I like Johnson over Reid.

Just my opinion.....

Jemea has always played with that intensity, even in the spring game. I was surprised to see it took so long before people started to realize that he needs to see the field more.

Back