"We" or "they"

Do you say "we" or "they" when referring to the football team?

• we

Votes: 78 87.6%
  • they

Votes: 11 12.4%

• Total voters

gtzulu

ACCOUNT DEACTIVATED IN PROTEST OF EVIL SOFTWARE
Stupid poll, I know. I regret posting it already. But since I did: Has anyone else ever been conflicted over whether to use "we" or "they"?

"We need to quit fumbling the ball in the red zone."
vs.
"They need to quit fumbling the ball in the red zone."

Its tough for fans like me who aren't GT students, because I feel like students and alumni can use "we" because they "are" Georgia Tech.

So for me, it kind of depends on who I'm around. I've put close to $1,000 as a po' broke college student towards the GT Yellow Jackets, I'm a season ticket holder, and I love GT, so I don't have any regrets about using "we", although I usually only use it in pre-/in-/post-game situations, like "we can't afford another fumble" or "we're winning" or "I hope we beat UGA tomorrow". I switch to "they/them" when talking to people about it in a non-sports environment removed from GT athletics, such as work or home.

Usually around other Tech students, I have a subconscious "whoa" before using "we" for Tech, but again I feel like having put as much time, money, and emotion towards Georgia Tech that I am a part of it, however trivial a part that may be.

Stupid poll, I know. I regret posting it already. But since I did: Has anyone else ever been conflicted over whether to use "we" or "they"?

"We need to quit fumbling the ball in the red zone."
vs.
"They need to quit fumbling the ball in the red zone."

Feel better?

great poll. i don't always say we but it might come out sometimes.

people that always say we when talking about their teams are lame

Said "they" in the Chan days and "We" the day PJ took over. No öööö.

Of course said we in the GOL, Ross, and even Curry years.

I don't like using "we" as in "We played a great game today." It feels like taking credit for the accomplishment of others.

Although in the case of discussing the entire program (like "We should be more welcoming to sidewalk fans.") it's obviously acceptable.

I dunno...it depends. In recruiting I say we usually, because when a recruit comes to Tech, the Tech family grows.

When it comes to playing I try to say they, but do say we on occasion, just because I feel like it keeps it in perspective that I'm not really a part of the whole process. I think it's respectful to the players, because I don't do any of the work that is involved.

I switch back and forth, but any time there is a mention of school v school its always "we" and "you"

It depends. I've said both before, but it depends on the context. You never want to act like many of the Hive homers who feel that they are an extension of the team and when the team accomplishes, they do to; and when the team fails, they fail too. I agree with the poster who said those people are lame.

I don't think it is a stupid poll. I use WE always, because I pay good money to sit in bds and watch my beloved yeller jackets

I couldn't vote because I couldn't decide.

"Who do we play September 20th?"

"They are running on the field now!"

'We beat Georgia 17 years in a row.'

i dunno, i say Tech more than anything else. "Tech is going to have a great year."

great poll. i don't always say we but it might come out sometimes.

people that always say we when talking about their teams are lame

I suppose my situation is a bit different, but I always have said and will continue to say "We."

I suppose my situation is a bit different, but I always have said and will continue to say "We."

Good to hear your perspective. BTW, do you have any thoughts about the OL this year? CPJ kinda called them out at the end of the Spring.

I try to only use "we" when talking amongst other Tech fans and "they" any other time.

I try to say "they" since I am side-walk fan, but sometimes I slip up. Mostly suffering for 27+ years now. :wink:

I try to say "they" since I am side-walk fan, but sometimes I slip up. Mostly suffering for 27+ years now. :wink:

As far as I am concerned, anybody who is a Tech fan whether student, alumnus or just a fan can say we. 'We' need all the support that we can get.:wink:

Back