"We" or "they"

Do you say "we" or "they" when referring to the football team?

• we

Votes: 78 87.6%
  • they

Votes: 11 12.4%

• Total voters
Good to hear your perspective. BTW, do you have any thoughts about the OL this year? CPJ kinda called them out at the end of the Spring.

I wish I could give you some real insight, but having missed spring practice, my authority on the subject is somewhat limited.

I will say that I think the starting interior (Will, Jay, and Uzzi) is just as talented, if not more so, as any group we've had since Coach Johnson got here. Those three have all the physical tools to get the job done; they just need to go out and execute their assignments. That said, execution tends to be the hardest part of playing football and should never be taken as a given. All three of those guys have All-ACC potential and I think Uzzi could find his way on to some All-American lists by the end of his career if he continues to develop the way I think he can. Nick McRae will provide a quality backup for all three of the interior spots.

The depth at tackle concerns me a little bit, but I have faith that the Coach Spencer will have that situation figured out by the time the season kicks off. Phil is perfectly capable as a starter, but I'll be interested to see who lines up on the other side. Beno and Kidney are good players, but I wasn't able to see any of their progression over the spring, so I'll refrain from commenting on their prospects. Tyler is a hard worker and a technician, but he could use a little more mass. I've never seen Ray play tackle, so I'll be waiting along with everyone else to see what he can do.

My turn to ask a question of those who did get to see spring practice: How did Trey Braun look out there? I've heard some good things about him from guys within the program, but I've never seen him myself.

I wish I could give you some real insight, but having missed spring practice, my authority on the subject is somewhat limited.

I will say that I think the starting interior (Will, Jay, and Uzzi) is just as talented, if not more so, as any group we've had since Coach Johnson got here. Those three have all the physical tools to get the job done; they just need to go out and execute their assignments. That said, execution tends to be the hardest part of playing football and should never be taken as a given. All three of those guys have All-ACC potential and I think Uzzi could find his way on to some All-American lists by the end of his career if he continues to develop the way I think he can. Nick McRae will provide a quality backup for all three of the interior spots.

The depth at tackle concerns me a little bit, but I have faith that the Coach Spencer will have that situation figured out by the time the season kicks off. Phil is perfectly capable as a starter, but I'll be interested to see who lines up on the other side. Beno and Kidney are good players, but I wasn't able to see any of their progression over the spring, so I'll refrain from commenting on their prospects. Tyler is a hard worker and a technician, but he could use a little more mass. I've never seen Ray play tackle, so I'll be waiting along with everyone else to see what he can do.

My turn to ask a question of those who did get to see spring practice: How did Trey Braun look out there? I've heard some good things about him from guys within the program, but I've never seen him myself.

Thanks for your feedback.

One fan posted the first half and a bit of the 3rd quarter of the T-Day game on YouTube.

here's part 1 of 6: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rM5MrPkAGLw&feature=related

The unanswered question: Is our DL that good or is our OL rusty?

Depends on situation. If I am at the game, then GT is "we" and opponent is "they". If talking sports outside of a game, then mostly I say Tech, sometimes we. Seldom use "they" when talking about the team as a whole. Now if I am talking about our WR, I might say "they need to make more plays" or for our AB "they blocked well that game". But for our team as a whole, its either we or Tech.

When Georgia Tech is winning = "We"

When Georgia Tech is losing = "They"

Yeah, I said it.

i.e...

"Man, we totally kicked their asses today!"

or

"Geeze, they f*****g stunk it up today!"

Yeah, I said it.

Yeah, I said it.

I am about the opposite of this. When GT has a really good day I tend to give the players credit - "They really got the job done today". When I am mad I tend to try and not abandon ship and am more likely to say "We sucked today". During the game tend to use "We" more.

I am about the opposite of this. When GT has a really good day I tend to give the players credit - "They really got the job done today". When I am mad I tend to try and not abandon ship and am more likely to say "We sucked today". During the game tend to use "We" more.

That's about how I am too.

I suppose my situation is a bit different, but I always have said and will continue to say "We."

I was going to add an addendum that I think it's perfectly fine for former players to say, "we." the current players are part of the Tech "football family."

but I agree with MTrain that if you have nothing to do with the team, then it's kinda lame to say "we."

I also agree however that at the game it's "we" and "they" So like I said in my original response, it depends, but I consciously try to say they more than I consciously try to say we. Whether or not I actually do say they more than we is unknown.

*addition*

I also think season-ticket holders of 20+ years or one-game per year fans for 40+ years can say we.

Maybe we should always say "WE". Without us fans there wouldn't even be a football team.

That is how I am as well. But I am also really bad about when someone asks me a question about the team, I end up saying "we" too often -- both good and bad. If I am the one to start the conversation, I am usually pretty good about putting it in 3rd person, but in response to a question, especially when they know I am a Tech fan and ask me "How did you all do yesterday?" I am especially bad.

For example:

After a game, someone will ask me how GT did -- I will say "We won" or "we lost" and describe a bit of the game using "we."

I always say "we". Georgia Tech is a part of who I am, and even though my experience is limited to that of a spectator and supporter, I wear it on my sleeve, always. Outside of family and work, my number one interest is Georgia Tech sports. I recognize that may be lame, but there has to be a few kindred spirits here at least.

I am aware of the argument that thinks it is lame to refer to your team that way, and I think that that argument is lame.

gt flunkout, others who say "we"

would you say "we played great today" or "we got to the qb great" or "we opened up good holes for hte running game" if you were talking directly TO a football player, in person, who starts on the team?

I am both a "we" and a "they " guy most of the time.I didnt go to Tech but after following them for over fifty six or so years I ,at times become a "we" guy.Of course if the;y lose and make you mad the "we" can turn into a "they "quickly.

would you say "we played great today" or "we got to the qb great" or "we opened up good holes for hte running game" if you were talking directly TO a football player, in person, who starts on the team?

That's where I have a problem with "we".

At the end of the day, the question is whether you think you contributed meaningfully to the success of the team. Basically, if you were born a UGAg fan, would Tech have lost the game we/they just won or won the game that we/they just lost?

I don't buy the argument of the fan base as a collective "we" that contributes to success. It has to be on an individual level for you to use it personally. I also don't buy the Chaos Theory approach. "Well I gave the team $10, which could have been the $10 that paid for the gold paint that convinced Joshua Nesbitt to come to Tech that..."

how can you not think its a little odd when a bills or jackets fan talks to you like they lined up next to you on the field?
Shoot on this blog we have the finest collection of ex coaches at any level,diplomats and politiicas of word renown,counselors on any subject and a host of experts on anything.That is what makes the blog so good.We all think we know it all or at least we act like it sometimes.Shoot everybody knows I have been designing tech uniforms for years just never got the pay.Yall have a great weekend and Memorial Day.

Back