Week 1 - GT - NIU Media

Couple of thoughts:

- i know people dog him but Paterdude is refreshingly genuine and willing to talk about his strategies and thought processes. Just comes across as a good guy who loves to talk football

- did Patenaude give away the starting lineup on OL with 4 seniors and a freshman?

- Patenaude said the OL was the best he’s had at Tech. Thacker said the DL is good enough he doesn’t have to make the perfect call.

- Thacker basically insinuated last year if he didn’t make the perfect call we were in trouble and insinuated our talent isn’t just better it’s significantly better

- the optimism out of both coordinators is significant
Starting OL (imo) will be (LT->RT) Cochran, Cooper, Minivan, Johnson, Williams.

DL could be exciting. I'm not sold on or tackles but we seem to be really solid and quite deep at both end spots.

They needed to hurt him mentally. Like say "hey, QB guy, you're so ugly it looks like you got hit by the ugly truck hauling ugly sticks". Stuff like that. It can really get a guy down.
Hey, QB guy, ur mom is so ugly something something line moves faster leaving.

NIU Tuesday Press Conference: Head Coach Thomas Hammock, Players Devin Lafayette, Cole Tucker, James Ester

***Side note - At about the 16:22 mark, you'll notice a fade in/out where the video has been edited. They cut out a question that asked Devin Lafayette what was needed of their defense to win, and he proceeded to say out loud, in front of cameras that they needed to try to hurt our QB and get him out of the game. Needless to say, I hope GT was able to save a copy of the original version to show the team this week.

This needs to be played to our team and a copy needs to go the game officials.

On the positive side, this should motivate our team and eliminate any complacency.

NIU Tuesday Press Conference: Head Coach Thomas Hammock, Players Devin Lafayette, Cole Tucker, James Ester

***Side note - At about the 16:22 mark, you'll notice a fade in/out where the video has been edited. They cut out a question that asked Devin Lafayette what was needed of their defense to win, and he proceeded to say out loud, in front of cameras that they needed to try to hurt our QB and get him out of the game. Needless to say, I hope GT was able to save a copy of the original version to show the team this week.

Phuck that guy

Couple of thoughts:

- i know people dog him but Paterdude is refreshingly genuine and willing to talk about his strategies and thought processes. Just comes across as a good guy who loves to talk football

- did Patenaude give away the starting lineup on OL with 4 seniors and a freshman?

- Patenaude said the OL was the best he’s had at Tech. Thacker said the DL is good enough he doesn’t have to make the perfect call.

- Thacker basically insinuated last year if he didn’t make the perfect call we were in trouble and insinuated our talent isn’t just better it’s significantly better

- the optimism out of both coordinators is significant

I'm 10x more optimistic about the offensive coordination vs. the defense. Seems like we got the jimmies and joes on defense.

This needs to be played to our team and a copy needs to go the game officials.

On the positive side, this should motivate our team and eliminate any complacency.
Can't remember which coach said it, may have been several, about bulletin board material "it works until the first time you get punched in the mouth, then you have to get over it and play the game"

My favorite question was around the 4:45 mark when the guy asked how they planned to scheme against the triple option that Tech would be bringing.

Figured a weekly thread for all media related to each week's game would be nice to have.

GT Tuesday Press Conference: Geoff Collins, Andrew Thacker, Dave Patenaude

My read of the coaches, based totally on body language and nothing else:

Collins: Now is when we need to start winning, and I am out of patience, and if anyone does anything to stop us from winning, they will have a Collins-sized hole though them. (NOTE: Collins is very controlled with the press so I really don't read anything into how he handles himself. He has his schtick down. What he is trying to convey is he is ready to start winning, instead of preparing to win.)

Thacker: Knows we play an opponent because he looks at tape of them, but is totally wrapped up in what we do.

Patenaude: Thinks we can roll our helmets onto the field and name our score this Saturday night.

Hammock: Is not thinking about whether or not his team will win. Thinking about how to leave Atlanta with his team able to bounce back from the loss.

Patentude better be right or he will quickly become Pat Nix

Ah an old Bama/FSU disciple.

FB_IMG_1630534702380.jpg

Changed YJA

Isn't this stretch usually pretty crowded with vendors and tents and stuff?
Yes. Not sure how they plan to do this yet. Maybe they're moving those? I don't see them barricading the street off though when it's only going to be needed for a few minutes out of the day, with fans walking around and all through there the remainder of the day. I have absolutely no inside source but my thought was that I bet they have the band line the street or something when the players arrive to keep fans separated from them.

Here’s an NIU message board thread. They seem to be getting their GT intel from a different board.

Prediction thread. About what you’d expect, mostly predicting a loss or a close and lucky win:

There’s a lot of G5 little brother syndrome, but also a fair bit of “we can’t beat an ACC team that blew out Duke last year.”

JRjr

Last edited:
Here’s an NIU message board thread. They seem to be getting their GT intel from a different board.

JRjr

Imagine being stupid enough to go to NIU, let alone root for their football team.

Back