Week 1 - GT - NIU Media

Here’s an NIU message board thread. They seem to be getting their GT intel from a different board.

Prediction thread. About what you’d expect, mostly predicting a loss or a close and lucky win:

There’s a lot of G5 little brother syndrome, but also a fair bit of “we can’t beat an ACC team that blew out Duke last year.”

JRjr
Jesus, is that the old VT board reimagined? That is difficult on the eyes

Most opposing fans probably don’t realize that, other than the stretch of Clemson-BC-ND, we were within 10 points of our opponent at the start of the fourth quarter in all of our losses last season, except UCF, which was 14. In all of those games, we got to within a single score to tie or take the lead in the 4th. We had a team that was competitive last year and didn’t luck into any of its wins.

We are still a young team, but we added more talent to our depth at most positions and probably have a larger boost to our average talent than most other programs. This team took a larger step forward than most improving over last season. It will show this year.

Last edited:
Well this ho-hum matchup just got real interesting.

Excellent - and don't forget, we don't have to make a return trip so whatever happens is final.

Here’s an NIU message board thread. They seem to be getting their GT intel from a different board.

Prediction thread. About what you’d expect, mostly predicting a loss or a close and lucky win:

There’s a lot of G5 little brother syndrome, but also a fair bit of “we can’t beat an ACC team that blew out Duke last year.”

JRjr
Those guys are talking about us being irrelevant, and a mediocre ACC team, but I have to confess, until we scheduled them I'd never heard of their school. Seriously, I had no idea they even existed.

Last edited:
Tjose guys are talking about us being irrelevant, and a mediocre ACC team, but I have to confess, until we scheduled them I'd never heard of their school. Seriously, I had no idea they even existed.

I have heard or Southern Illinois a lot more but that is probably because I notice the Salukis. I like unique names

Those guys are talking about us being irrelevant, and a mediocre ACC team, but I have to confess, until we scheduled them I'd never heard of their school. Seriously, I had no idea they even existed.
Really? Weren't they in a major bowl just a few years ago? Like the Orange Bowl?

I think their only slightly well known for some heisman contending running running back, whose name I forget, that played in the late 2000s.

Oh and maybe seeing their name on the espn ticker when Ohio State schedules 2-3 times a decade to blow them out.

They lost to FSU in the Orange Bowl a few years ago, IIRC. They almost beat Ohio State a few years ago, too.

JRjr
They did beat Iowa one year and have lost a lot of squeakers to Big10 schools

All that stuff was under a different coach, with a way different QB. They are legitimately terrible now.

Back