Weekly Report

"If at any time during the term of this Contract, the Association terminates his Contract without cause" (win-loss record does not qualify as cause) "the Association shall buy out its further obligations under this Contract by paying to COACH, in equal monthly installments, all monies due COACH for each of the remaining years of the Contract under Article III.A (Annual Salary), Article III.G (Radio and Television) and Article III.H (Personal Appearances and Speaking

How in the hell does won-loss record not even count as cause for termination?

"If at any time during the term of this Contract, the Association terminates his Contract without cause" (win-loss record does not qualify as cause) "the Association shall buy out its further obligations under this Contract by paying to COACH, in equal monthly installments, all monies due COACH for each of the remaining years of the Contract under Article III.A (Annual Salary), Article III.G (Radio and Television) and Article III.H (Personal Appearances and Speaking

Thank the Braine:biggthumpup:

If you look at the actual contract, "win-loss record does not qualify as cause" is not in there. That part was added on the blog to clairify I think. I think one would have the ability to argue that win-loss record could qualify as a cause, but that would be left for lawyers. If Gailey did not agree with our definition of "cause", which looks like would also have to be approved by President Clough, he could take his case to arbitration and they would decide. There is definitely nothing under the definition of cause in the contract that spells out what record must be obtained though. It spells out several things that would count as good cause, but also says that it is not limited to those things. I DO think you would have a hard time qualifying a winning record every year as cause though, regardless...

dem,
How are the players responding to all this? Do they feel that the "ship is sinking" or are they keeping positive through these losses?

Especially Taylor:

TaylorBennett said:

"They're a good team," he said. "We'll be seeing them again down in Jacksonville."

Bennett also did everything but guarantee that Georgia Tech is still going to make the ACC championship game, and said he looks forward to a rematch against Boston College.

Anyone wanna place odds on the idea that Gailey would step down rather than be fired thus causing the least amount of turmoil in the program. I have no doubt he cares about his players and staff and would try to lessen the negative effects of a change?

Just a thought

Especially Taylor:

Bennett also did everything but guarantee that Georgia Tech is still going to make the ACC championship game, and said he looks forward to a rematch against Boston College.
[/size]

Yeah he should of just said, we are just going to tank the rest of the season huh? We probably wont win another game. What do you want positive or negative? Your getting on the kids for trying to be positive?

Anyone wanna place odds on the idea that Gailey would step down rather than be fired thus causing the least amount of turmoil in the program. I have no doubt he cares about his players and staff and would try to lessen the negative effects of a change?

Just a thought

He would have to be incredibly stupid to do something like that...who would walk away from 4.4 million just to make things easier? I think he would go quietly and not cause a stink, but no way he resigns and leaves all that money on the table.

Interesting. In the old days at Duke when they wanted to get rid of a coach, they would hire him as a fund raiser in the Medical Center. At one time both Red Wilson and Bucky Watters were working over there. Maybe we could make Chan a special assistant to the President for something or other and negotiate a new deal that guarantees him his retirement?

Yeah he should of just said, we are just going to tank the rest of the season huh? We probably wont win another game. What do you want positive or negative? Your getting on the kids for trying to be positive?

Curious more about the effect of a bruised ego. Seems Taylor was somewhat bold early on, making comments like the above to the media. It will be interesting to see if losing humbles him a little. I'd like to see him succeed though I thought the comment after the BC loss was a little over the top. Something like, 'Tough loss today, we'll have to work pretty hard and correct our mistakes, learn how to play defense, and fire our coach if we want to meet them again in Jacksonville' might have been more appropriate.

Last edited:
Yea, doubtful certainly, just a thought for discussion. What if they worked out some type of nice severance/retirement package for him to step down instead of a straight out firing?

He would have to be incredibly stupid to do something like that...who would walk away from 4.4 million just to make things easier? I think he would go quietly and not cause a stink, but no way he resigns and leaves all that money on the table.

Yea, doubtful certainly, just a thought for discussion. What if they worked out some type of nice severance/retirement package for him to step down instead of a straight out firing?

Guess you could try that, but what would the benefit to him be? Maybe getting his payment lump sum versus on a monthly basis?

That normally happens when the living situation becomes uncomfortable for the coach and his family. Programs like Alabama with fans and boosters sending death threats after repeated losses to Auburn can sometimes provoke the coach into "negotiating" a buyout. Is Chan particularly uncomfortable right now ? It's not like he gets booed during the introduction at BDS.

For Chan to voluntarily step aside, you'd have to go through a similar situation as last offseason when he openly interviewed for jobs that would guarantee his income, while letting GT off the hook.

demjackets, any idea what the hell Manley said to Bennett at halftime?

Demjackets,
Thanks so much for your insight into the team. I am curious, however, as to your exact affiliation with the team. If you are not at liberty to say or if you just don't want to, that is totally understandable. Either way, thanks again for your input. Its like reading an insiders board w/o paying for it.:biggthumpup:

My opinion on Gailey is that it would be awful hard for Dan to fire him unless the rest of the season goes in the toilet and we finish with a losing record.

There are so many factors that have to be considered:

who is available and are they an upgrade,

who would want the expectations of FSU on Saturday and MIT during the week,

what could we afford to offer a better coach in salary,

the need for stability and large recruiting classes coming off probation (which is unlikely with a coaching change),

recruiting is starting to take off,

we seem to already have very good assistant
coaches/coordinators,

Gailey's contract, etc.

For Chan to voluntarily step aside, you'd have to go through a similar situation as last offseason when he openly interviewed for jobs that would guarantee his income, while letting GT off the hook.

demjackets, any idea what the hell Manley said to Bennett at halftime?

I have no idea, good for Kyle though, he's a good kid and will try to help out the team in any way he can. Taylor really looked like someone lit a fire under him in the 2nd half, hopefully that continues.

Demjackets,
Thanks so much for your insight into the team. I am curious, however, as to your exact affiliation with the team. If you are not at liberty to say or if you just don't want to, that is totally understandable. Either way, thanks again for your input. Its like reading an insiders board w/o paying for it.:biggthumpup:

My opinion on Gailey is that it would be awful hard for Dan to fire him unless the rest of the season goes in the toilet and we finish with a losing record.

There are so many factors that have to be considered:

who is available and are they an upgrade,

who would want the expectations of FSU on Saturday and MIT during the week,

what could we afford to offer a better coach in salary,

the need for stability and large recruiting classes coming off probation (which is unlikely with a coaching change),

recruiting is starting to take off,

we seem to already have very good assistant
coaches/coordinators,

Gailey's contract, etc.

It'a a difficult decision one Dan has spent and will spend a ton of time over. It's what he gets paid to do though so he will do what he feels is best for the Institute in the long haul.

I have no idea, good for Kyle though, he's a good kid and will try to help out the team in any way he can. Taylor really looked like someone lit a fire under him in the 2nd half, hopefully that continues.
thanks

Just a thought

He being the man of character that I have found him to be. There is no doubt in my mind but that he would try to make things as smooth as possible if he is forced to leave.

On this subject I don't believe all of these rumors are in anyway helpfull to the program or the student athletes. I almost get the feeling that some on here hope we loose so Chan will be gone. I sure hope not.

You can be sure they hear them.

He being the man of character that I have found him to be. There is no doubt in my mind but that he would try to make things as smooth as possible if he is forced to leave.

On this subject I don't believe all of these rumors are in anyway helpfull to the program or the student athletes. I almost get the feeling that some on here hope we loose so Chan will be gone. I sure hope not.

You can be sure they hear them.

Under his post he put just a thought. Not a rumor. No one wants to lose that is foolish to suggests it would not be good for any program to just tank a season and these players wont let that happen. Be sure they hear what?

Back