Weinke in the house

As a dual GT/UT fan I don't like this hire at all. Tennessee was just as excited as Tech fans are now because apparently most of the people posting on message boards are in their 30's+ and remember him being good at FSU. The QB play at UT was terrible, google Jarret Guarantano when you have some time. Not sure if JG's struggles were due to Pruitt being a terrible head coach, or if Weinke really was that bad at coaching QB's. That said, I called it on Cimaglia not succeeding here. I'm not sure that Weinke will do better. He may be head coach material though, maybe we'll find out if Tech ends up with 1 win at the end of September like I predict.
If he improves our QB play as much as Cimaglia improved our FG/XP, we should all be eternally grateful. We're looking to net 10 ppg better between offense and defense, so if he's worth 2 ppg, Long is worth 4 ppg, LB coach 2 ppg, and DB coach another 2 ppg then that's our path to a winning record. I don't agree with it, but that's the incremental improvement we're trying to make to drive results.

I called it on Cimaglia not succeeding here

I guess it depends how much you blame him for the following:
  • Had a rough outing first game of the season missing three FG's: 43, 51, and blocked 60 yarder
  • Other two missed FG's rest of season were 50 yarder and blocked 40 yarder
  • Blocked XP
  • Missed XP
So, to summarize his five misses, first kick of year at 43 yards, two blocked (one of which was 60 yarder), and two 50+ yarders. Only one I expect him to make here with decent odds is the 43 yarder, which isn't just a chip shot, and maybe the 40 yarder against PITT depending on why it was blocked. He had an XP blocked against UVA that might be on him depending on why it was blocked, and he missed another against BC.

If you look at the "clean" FG misses as a whole, you might conclude that he's no good above 40 yards. But besides the 43 yard attempt they were two 50+ yarders. That 43 yard miss would have made the difference in the NIU game, though. I think he was worth a scholly considering the kicking situation we had but I understand it's subjective.

Weinke alluded to there being a lot more than everyone knows about the Pruitt tenure at Tennessee. He refused to say exactly what it was but it was clear that there were bad issues institutionally and within the staff. He has nothing good to say about his time there and left it at that.
That part is absolutely true. Pruitt qas absolutely terrible and will never coach in college again. Maybe a lot of the issues weren't Weinke, don't know but we will find out.

• Had a rough outing first game of the season missing three FG's: 43, 51, and blocked 60 yarder
  • Blocked XP
  • Missed XP
So, to summarize his five misses, first kick of year at 43 yards, two blocked (one of which was 60 yarder), and two 50+ yarders. Only one I expect him to make here with decent odds is the 43 yarder, which isn't just a chip shot, and maybe the 40 yarder against PITT depending on why it was blocked. He had an XP blocked against UVA that might be on him depending on why it was blocked, and he missed another against BC.

If you look at the "clean" FG misses as a whole, you might conclude that he's no good above 40 yards. But besides the 43 yard attempt they were two 50+ yarders. That 43 yard miss would have made the difference in the NIU game, though. I think he was worth a scholly considering the kicking situation we had but I understand it's subjective.
Not that it changes much but the blocked 60 yarder was attempted by Stewart.

• Blocked XP
  • Missed XP

You expect a senior kicker to hit from 40. The fact there were only so few attempts speaks more to Collins taking his chances on getting a first down inside the 40 because he had no confidence in his kicker. Cimaglia had a great freshman season at UT and then absolutely fell off. No idea why but clearly he didn't just need a change of scenery.

Welcome aboard

ZealousPhonyAstarte-size_restricted.gif

Mr Weinke!

Really like the hire.

It’s amazing how positive I am on the offensive hires and how pessimistic I am on the defensive hires.

Really like the hire.

It’s amazing how positive I am on the offensive hires and how pessimistic I am on the defensive hires.
Well, if the offensive hires work then we have proof of concept and do the same thing to the defense next year. Ain’t no big thang.

Looks like we got a QB coach. I’d say this is a good hire & will stand by waiting to be told otherwise. Fire away.
Hopefully he can teach pattern recognition of defenses, high risk and low risk areas to throw a football—-find the safety—- this is why don’t open receiver will look like——This is what an interception will look like, when in doubt throw it away., etc.

Back