Well, our AJC writer, Hollis, doesn't think much of Tech's team

Re: Well, our AJC writer, Hollis, doesn\'t think much of Tech\'s team

His behavior is unprofessional and classless, period. You don't go on the radio and rip the program you cover. There are other ways to phrase things and as a reporter, you would think he would be able to find those words. This would not be tolerated at any school with cojones when it comes to the press. He should not have his press pass revoked, but the players and coaches should refuse to grant him interviews. Let him sit in the box, feeding his pie hole with free pizza. If I was Allison George, I would have a few choice words for him. Also, any fans at practice that see him, let him know what you think of his little act.

Originally posted by MsTechAnalysis:
One thing I did find interesting in this interview that no one has touched upon - AJ starting! A possibility and looks like it might happen.

How many on this board had said last season and this that the board would explode if that happened? Do you still feel that way?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Board is one thing, but how every GT fan feels is different. This isn't news to me. It's not news to GT following I know in general.

GO JACKETS!

ET quote:
How many on this board had said last season and this that the board would explode if that happened? Do you still feel that way?

I will be very uneasy. However, since BOB is gone and NIX in, I will watch with hopes that this is best for winning as many as possible this year.
If its uga all over, its different. How's that?

Hey Guys,

A HC has got to romance the press. Those born after 1960 will hate to hear this but Bobby Dodd was a master of stroking the press; had them eating out of his hand.

Gailey doesn't even try ( I wouldn't want Gailey snuggling up to me either but thats just me
wink.gif
).

After the AJC ran the Bilbo story less than 24 hours before the axe fell, the sports writers have dropped any pretense; they are out to get Tech and the coach.

Circle the wagons boys, we haven't begun to feel the flames...

Loved ET - a darling little creature, so lovable, so divine, so cuddly and loved by ALL!!!

GTT: Do you really think he will start against BYU?

Loved ET - a darling little creature, so lovable, so divine, so cuddly and loved by ALL!!!

GTT: Do you really think he will start against BYU?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I don't know. We're just past half way in fall getting ready for game.

71YellowJacket, maybe you are aware or maybe you are not aware, but the AJC is solidly behind UGA and against Tech.

They love anything they can get hold of to make Tech look bad, so UGA can gain an advantage in recruiting.

If there is a core group of people in cahoots with some of the AJC writers, because this core group wants to see Gailey fired, then these people are aiding the enemy, AJC and UGA.

This core group uses the excuse they want the best for Tech, while at the same time aiding the AJC in giving UGA an advantage in the State. I do not call that the best thing for Tech. I call it being a traitor to fulfill their own agenda to get rid of Gailey.

Father Time

Originally posted by ahsoisee:
71YellowJacket, maybe you are aware or maybe you are not aware, but the AJC is solidly behind UGA and against Tech.

They love anything they can get hold of to make Tech look bad, so UGA can gain an advantage in recruiting.

If there is a core group of people in cahoots with some of the AJC writers, because this core group wants to see Gailey fired, then these people are aiding the enemy, AJC and UGA.

This core group uses the excuse they want the best for Tech, while at the same time aiding the AJC in giving UGA an advantage in the State. I do not call that the best thing for Tech. I call it being a traitor to fulfill their own agenda to get rid of Gailey.

Father Time
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Ahsoisee,

You think you are the only one posting here old enough to shave? Pardon, Ms. Tech Analysis.

The AJC has not always been out to get us. There was a time when they were avid supporters aka Furman Bisher. I know those days are over for now but it was not inevitable and it could be turned around. The AJC could easily pull for both UGA (I know it seems hard to believe) and Tech.

You are posting another of your conspiracy theories; our own Oliver Stone.

71YellowJacket has a very good point. Richt certainly 'pets' the press, every chance he can get some publicity.
Folks, this wasn't done for the AJC & was not written. This was a personal interview, live, on a radio station 2,000 miles away that he might've thought would never be mentioned in Atlanta.
If Hollis will do this once, he may decide to do it many times. If he thinks this way it may be fine for his 'morale', but I don't believe he should be allowed to write the Tech beat for a paper that has a Sun circulation of 3 million copies.
He may be a fine person & may be right about GT's football, but I'd like to try someone else for the 'beat writing' part. Let Hollis write about Ga Southern.

Originally posted by GT Ace:
71YellowJacket has a very good point. Richt certainly 'pets' the press, every chance he can get some publicity.
Folks, this wasn't done for the AJC & was not written. This was a personal interview, live, on a radio station 2,000 miles away that he might've thought would never be mentioned in Atlanta.
If Hollis will do this once, he may decide to do it many times. If he thinks this way it may be fine for his 'morale', but I don't believe he should be allowed to write the Tech beat for a paper that has a Sun circulation of 3 million copies.
He may be a fine person & may be right about GT's football, but I'd like to try someone else for the 'beat writing' part. Let Hollis write about Ga Southern.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">GTAce,

Just fantasy here, but if Bobby Dodd were in the fix we are in now, he would invite Hollis, Bradley, and Bisher ( if it isn’t past his bed time) for a game of poker. After taking their money and making them feel good about losing, the Coach would tell them, fellas, here is how I’m going to attack BYU next Thursday night..

Then he would lay out his strategy, our strengths and weaknesses and same for BYU.

They could then go out and focus on the plays and players that would be key to the game, making them look like experts.

Course, Dodd would then win the game…….

Originally posted by GT Ace:
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">John wrote in Northern Fl. before he came to GT. That's all great and good, but he doesn't present stories other than to sell papers. He doesn't present what's going on in practice which a beat writer should. I've been kind and nice to John since he's come here. The truth is he doesn't present what's happening as well as even Macon which is small town paper.

I have numerous AJ and AC articles that I've saved. This goes way back to when I was around 5. That's over 30 years of history. I can show John how poor the AJC coverage is just based on that.

He writes stories, but it's not representative of what's going on a GT. It's not representative of practice.

It's all great and good he's there. It's not all great and good he's not reporting what's there. It's harping on negitives. Oh yeah it's his opinion. Is that really reporting?

GO JACKETS!

What purpose would it serve John Hollis to NOT do his job? He has absolutely nothing to game by hurting GT or vice/versa by saying good things about GT. By the way, he said this to an interviewer in Utah on Utah radio. Was this in the AJC?

Did anyone ever stop to think that's why he said what he did - how many miles away is it and who would hear it? Maybe HE REALLY DID TAKE THE HIGH ROAD, has he said this same stuff in the AJC? I haven't seen it, has anyone here seen these comments locally? Just maybe he is trying not to hurt GT by keeping from the locals.

Don't all attack, I'm seriously asking this question - has he written this here and did he say it on local talk radio or to anyone in person?

Couple of points. Hollis can do what he wants, but I would make it hard for him to get any access at Tech if I was Chan. It probably won't matter in the short run, but when we get things turned around and his editors want more coverage we would have the leverage then.

Hopefully BYU will pay a lot of attention to what he had to say. Why would anyone think he has any insight into who will start at QB? I mean his track record is so good at getting into Chan's head
wink.gif
. A number of regular posters have stated that he isn't really covering practice, that when he goes he gets there late. It's almost like he's waiting to read stuff in another paper before he writes anything. He may be a nice guy, but he's not very good at his job IMO.

What purpose would it serve John Hollis to NOT do his job? He has absolutely nothing to game by hurting GT or vice/versa by saying good things about GT. By the way, he said this to an interviewer in Utah on Utah radio. Was this in the AJC?

Did anyone ever stop to think that's why he said what he did - how many miles away is it and who would hear it? Maybe HE REALLY DID TAKE THE HIGH ROAD, has he said this same stuff in the AJC? I haven't seen it, has anyone here seen these comments locally? Just maybe he is trying not to hurt GT by keeping from the locals.

Don't all attack, I'm seriously asking this question - has he written this here and did he say it on local talk radio or to anyone in person?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I could go on and on with you MsTech, but it won't do any bit of good for GT or you. No point in it.

Did anyone stop to think why you say what you say? Of course, we're all people. We have minds.

Go Jackets!!!

I call stifling another fan or trying to make a mockery of someone's opinion pretty bad. GT will only be good if those who are hired make it happen! A reporter, a fan, a casual on looker, a radio talk show, a former player, will not make that happen.

In the end GTT, I'll still be a GT fan, Chan may or may not be here but I will continue to be that fan I've always been ...

And, you still didn't answer the question, did John Hollis say all that he did in this interview over 1,000 miles away to anyone in ATL or in the paper? I guess the answers NO and I might be right! A different perspective on this interview.

I say what I say, just like you say what you say - an opinion. That's all we have here, that's all we've had here!

Ms Glass,

Whether he said these comments in the AJC or not is irrelevant, he said them, and it represents a bias, and a LACK OF OBJECTIVITY. It disqualifies him from being a representative of the press deserving a sideline pass. Give it instead to Brian Murphy, who like his predecessor, scoops Hollis every single day from 100 miles down the road, in a positive and upbeat manner focusing on the accomplishments of our student athletes.

I'll take the bait on your question about AJ. I am on the record as an unhappy Tech fan who takes the only reasonable position which is that Chan should be given this year or we are a bunch of Bamaish neanderthals who would be the laughing stock of college football. I am not a FOCer, but it would not be fair if I did not give the man support to do his best this year. For someone in HR, I am shocked you seem to show no understanding for "due process" or objectivity in judging his performance. Do you fire people at BellSouth for screwing up 1 time or based on the opinions of coworkers, often those with political motivations, i.e. those who would gain by his failure?

Back to the bait at hand? There is one thing that would turn me into a raging neanderthal bent on the rapid and total destruction of Chan Gailey's coaching career at Ga Tech. And that would be if AJ Suggs walks onto the field in the first half of the BYU opener. CG's hard headed, obstinate backing of Suggs last year was appalling. I do not mean AJ any ill will or harm and I think he will get many chances this year to play. But he had his chance, over and over again last year. 13 times.

Last year Gailey had the "we don't have anyone else cause Dbo's not ready" excuse. This year there are huge expectations based on the performance of one R Ball. The only way AJ should play in the 1H at BYU is if Ball leaves the game due to injury...

PUT THAT IN THE AJC BUTTLICKER HOLLIS!!!

Ramblin:

As far as AJ, there was no bait here and that's not at all why I asked. My question is/was valid. I have this feeling that AJ will start and I wondered what everyone thought. Not much to choose from since Pena, Bilbo are not in the equation anymore.

I have reservations about the QB position period. I like Reggie Ball but he's not starting off with games that are the usual pre-season types - Citidel, UConn, etc. If it is AJ and it doesn't work, this board will explode.

Well the turkey keeps coming home to roost. In keeping with an above sentiment, until Dave Braine and Chan Gailey tell these jerks that they are not welcome on campus anymore until they show some respect they're going to report as if GT is Baghdad in their back pocket. TECH's PR needs a B-12 shot and no, it's not Chan's fault. It's TECH's fault.

TECH's PR reminds me of Jimmy Carter. "Who me?" No PR invites attacks from iceholes like the AUC. When you're in the public eye you need some kind of strategy. You don't have to budget away your budget you basically just have to be more savvy. TECH's unwillingness to acknowledge this problem is blatant and will lead to Braines's resignation/dismissal. TECH has never done PR well (cue the "Pepper's put the spice back in" commercials) but there is a glaring need here for an intelligent person to address. We are bleeding there (pr) and we at the very least need a band-aid. Bending over and taking it from the media is really not what "media friendly" is all about. This is a serious problem.

Ramblin:

As far as AJ, there was no bait here and that's not at all why I asked. My question is/was valid. I have this feeling that AJ will start and I wondered what everyone thought. Not much to choose from since Pena, Bilbo are not in the equation anymore.

I have reservations about the QB position period. I like Reggie Ball but he's not starting off with games that are the usual pre-season types - Citidel, UConn, etc. If it is AJ and it doesn't work, this board will explode.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I said a few days ago that, with Bilbo out of the picture, AJ would probably start...and I was called an idiot.

Ramblin:

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">You're question wasn't worth answering. No offense. That's just my opinion and feeling.

I'm not surprised at you're post here. Doesn't matter to me honestly.

Go Jackets!!

Back