Well.....VT Fan's Perspective

TheTaxJacket

Dodd-Like
EDIT: The below in quotes are not mine, they are those of the VT fan's in the link I posted below....

Quote (not mine): For starters, VT wins this game. No question in my mind. The only question is how close will it be. Here are the factors in my thinking:

1) As you noted, Bud owns PJ. He's in his head.
2) As was repeated during the OSU game, Bud prepared for them like he was playing GT so the one primary advantage that GT has - 1 week to prepare for a weird, öööööööy O that's not seen anywhere in big boy football - has been negated. VT has pretty well been prepping for them since spring. Expect more double eagle, zero coverage.
3) GT starts a track star at QB and not a football player. See #80 on VT for the challenges related to that and that's only a WR and not the QB.
4) The year GT did beat VT, it was because they had an all world WR who they could heave up ugly, ugly passes to and as long as he was in the same zip code he'd catch it. It forced the safeties and DBs to play it straight and not cheat against the run. The net result was Nesbit running wild. That doesn't exist this year and given the QB situation, getting the ball in the same zip code as the average receivers that they do have may be a challenge.
5) And as HokiePHX mentioned, overall, the GT offensive talent is way down. It's likely the worst team in the PJ era and likely the last one as well. The experiment has failed and this year is likely exclamation point on that fact.

That's why VT wins. IF the VT O picks up where it left off - controlling the game, converting 3rd downs, taking care of the ball, and otherwise driving the field - this game will be a blow out. Otherwise, it's a win by a TD or less. I'm not sure why people are afraid of saying this because it's nothing more than an objective look at the facts. I think the over the top cynicism has put scales on the eyes of many. On the upside of this game not really being discussed, at least I don't have to read about the GT boogie man. I am actually quite thankful for that.

http://chat.virginiatech.sportswar.com/message_board/vtfootball/2014/September/16/5414560.php

Your eyes may bleed reading that forum. Beware before clicking.

Last edited:
I'm afraid VPI wins by two touchdowns just because they lost to ECU. Their purpose in life is to make the ACC look silly by losing to cupcakes and then winning the Coastal. I hate having to call the baby ugly, but it's a pattern that continually gets reinforced every year.

c63t5.gif

Another VT fan...Apparently their two big DT's are banged up and questionable for the game:

Definitely not the feeling *here*

Maddy is banged up, Marshall is still hurt. If they can't stuff the line, I can see GT slicing and dicing us with dive after dive for 3-5 yards. That would required LB help to stuff, which opens the perimeter. They are FAST on the outside and I'm worried about our DBs' ability to seal the perimeter/tackle in space (sans Fuller, obvs). They pass from base now, so we don't get tipped off by shotgun formation when a throw is coming. And although they haven't really been tested, there's every reason to believe they'll score points against us. That means, as usual, the onus of winning the Techmo Bowl is shared equally by the offense. We need to play with a lead, which shouldn't be a problem against their D but you never know. Two sustained scoring drives paired with two defensive stops to open the game would be fantabulous.

No gimmie this week, and no 3rd and Logan anymore.

He might be right on outcome but he's wrong on why.

Get some of those retarts to join up over here so we can mock them

I hope their team is underestimating our "track star" QB as much as they are ...

What we didn't get any trolls this week so we're importing their posts?

I hope JT5 sets their field ablaze with his speed while also drinking cosmopolitans.

He's a little disrespectful. Just not nice there, fella!

Also, people who keep saying nobody runs our offense aren't paying a whole lot of attention. Especially if those people have just played an Urban Meyer coached team from tOSU. Offenses that both spread the field and mix in heavy option attacks are everywhere in 'big boy football' now. There's even one in the NFL. Just because we're the only ones who do it with the triple option doesn't make the concept suddenly alien. Boston college just ran a read option as a solid third of their rushing plays to put 400 rushing yards on #9 USC.

I always love the keys to winning the game. Basically, just cut and paste from any game ever...
controlling the game, converting 3rd downs, taking care of the ball

Our defensive talent is the worst it's ever been...like ever...but I completely disagree with the OP about our offensive talent.

A Back: Charles Perkins looks like one of the best we've ever had since Anthony Allen (so far this season). We also have a TON of seniors to rotate in and out.

QB: Track star? Sure. But JT can throw it on a rope and gave us our first come-from-behind victory (on the last drive) since 2010. Tevin and Vad never had a single one!

WR: We have 1 NFL receiver. Not bad in a CPJ offense. I also think Micheal Summers is as good a #2 receiver CPJ has had since he's been here. Oh yeah, and then there's 6-6" Darren Waller to contend with.

OL: Chris Griffin, Shaq Mason. Awesome right side of the line. Best in the CPJ era, imo. Our weakness is LT on pass plays. Center and Left Guard are solid as well.

BB: Our only weakness but Laskey does "OK". Also, I think Synjyn gets a few more snaps coming up soon...he can actually make people miss.

I'm afraid VPI wins by two touchdowns just because they lost to ECU. Their purpose in life is to make the ACC look silly by losing to cupcakes and then winning the Coastal. I hate having to call the baby ugly, but it's a pattern that continually gets reinforced every year.

It's also probably why Bud Foster is still a defensive coordinator. Related to the above, they've been preparing for us since spring but that doesn't help against ECU (or Marshall last year, or Pitt the year before). Looking back as well, VT's recent decline has gone almost hand-in-hand with their improved performance against us in games that have been more and more earlier in the season. Makes me wonder if they stopped trying to beat us so badly they might have better seasons.

VPI doesn't have much of an offense, but we have a defense willing to help them out there.

VPI doesn't have much of an offense, but we have a defense willing to help them out there.

This year might not be the worst Tech D ever but it is definitely one of the least talented. The offseason totally kicked our asses.

Related to the above, they've been preparing for us since spring but that doesn't help against ECU (or Marshall last year, or Pitt the year before). Looking back as well, VT's recent decline has gone almost hand-in-hand with their improved performance against us in games that have been more and more earlier in the season. Makes me wonder if they stopped trying to beat us so badly they might have better seasons.

I realize it's largely sour grapes, but this is pretty much why I loathe them so.

For starters, VT wins this game. No question in my mind. The only question is how close will it be. Here are the factors in my thinking:

1) As you noted, Bud owns PJ. He's in his head.
2) As was repeated during the OSU game, Bud prepared for them like he was playing GT so the one primary advantage that GT has - 1 week to prepare for a weird, öööööööy O that's not seen anywhere in big boy football - has been negated. VT has pretty well been prepping for them since spring. Expect more double eagle, zero coverage.
3) GT starts a track star at QB and not a football player. See #80 on VT for the challenges related to that and that's only a WR and not the QB.
4) The year GT did beat VT, it was because they had an all world WR who they could heave up ugly, ugly passes to and as long as he was in the same zip code he'd catch it. It forced the safeties and DBs to play it straight and not cheat against the run. The net result was Nesbit running wild. That doesn't exist this year and given the QB situation, getting the ball in the same zip code as the average receivers that they do have may be a challenge.
5) And as HokiePHX mentioned, overall, the GT offensive talent is way down. It's likely the worst team in the PJ era and likely the last one as well. The experiment has failed and this year is likely exclamation point on that fact.

That's why VT wins. IF the VT O picks up where it left off - controlling the game, converting 3rd downs, taking care of the ball, and otherwise driving the field - this game will be a blow out. Otherwise, it's a win by a TD or less. I'm not sure why people are afraid of saying this because it's nothing more than an objective look at the facts. I think the over the top cynicism has put scales on the eyes of many. On the upside of this game not really being discussed, at least I don't have to read about the GT boogie man. I am actually quite thankful for that.

http://chat.virginiatech.sportswar.com/message_board/vtfootball/2014/September/16/5414560.php

Your eyes may bleed reading that forum. Beware before clicking.

thanks, that was enjoyable. Anyone that hates VPI, any and everything about VPI, hates any fan of VPI---please raise you hand.:cool:

WR: We have 1 NFL receiver. Not bad in a CPJ offense. I also think Micheal Summers is as good a #2 receiver CPJ has had since he's been here. Oh yeah, and then there's 6-6" Darren Waller to contend with.

This is a little off-topic, but I believe Waller will be a better receiver, in the long run, than Smelter. He's so big, as long as JT5 throws it anywhere near him, he's gonna catch the ball

He's a little disrespectful. Just not nice there, fella!

Also, people who keep saying nobody runs our offense aren't paying a whole lot of attention. Especially if those people have just played an Urban Meyer coached team from tOSU. Offenses that both spread the field and mix in heavy option attacks are everywhere in 'big boy football' now. There's even one in the NFL. Just because we're the only ones who do it with the triple option doesn't make the concept suddenly alien. Boston college just ran a read option as a solid third of their rushing plays to put 400 rushing yards on #9 USC.

The irony that comes with saying VT prepared for OSU by mocking a prep against GT and then saying Tech's offense isn't big boy football is amusing.

Back