welp - our best OG is pursing his master's elsewhere

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just in terms of wanting to get a masters at another school I can see why guys want to do that.
I could also see not wanting to hang around a new team knowing he wouldn't be around to see it develop.

From the team's perspective, he would make the team better but would one OG make enough of a difference to offset the value of his reps going to guys who will be around another couple of years?

That said, I would have selfishly preferred he stayed obviously but it isn't the end of the world, hope he does well unless he plays against us, then hope he does well all the other weeks of the year.

I could not disagree more. If I were a player, I would be very happy about the injection of juice into the program. Coaching changes happen all the time, the new guy has the right to put his stamp on the program. To infer that this is somehow indirectly disrespectful is complete nonsense. Was CPJ's conversion to the triple option disrespectful to Gailey? Who the hell cares?

Gailey was fired because people thought he was wasting or going to waste the talent he had. No one questioned Calvin’s talent.

I hope guys by into the new staff. I think CGC can pick up on the ‘prove the haters wrong’ for the current players while working in new guys.

Just in terms of wanting to get a masters at another school I can see why guys want to do that.
I could also see not wanting to hang around a new team knowing he wouldn't be around to see it develop.

From the team's perspective, he would make the team better but would one OG make enough of a difference to offset the value of his reps going to guys who will be around another couple of years?

That said, I would have selfishly preferred he stayed obviously but it isn't the end of the world, hope he does well unless he plays against us, then hope he does well all the other weeks of the year.

The safe move is staying at Tech, because he knows he will start. With the new staff coming in, I don’t see any advantage to transferring since the big knock on Mason was his lack of pass blocking reps.

The only thing I can see is if a team has a history of bulking up OL. Somewhere like Michigan or Wisconsin that could sell him on getting to 300 lb in a year.

Speaking of which, I am glad the S&C coach is gone. I think guys should hate that coach, because that means he is getting the most out of your body (assuming no injuries). The last guy was too popular.

Sorry but nine straight semesters with football on top is impressive. I sure as hell couldn't have done it.

What was his major?

EDIT: Literature, Media and Communications. I'm sure it was a killer.

Last edited:
I could not disagree more. If I were a player, I would be very happy about the injection of juice into the program. Coaching changes happen all the time, the new guy has the right to put his stamp on the program. To infer that this is somehow indirectly disrespectful is complete nonsense. Was CPJ's conversion to the triple option disrespectful to Gailey? Who the hell cares?

Or when paul said publicly chans roster was top heavy in talent but he believed he would have better talent throughout the roster past 1-10. Or tenutas feast or famine d. When all we had under paul was famine

Oh those with selective memory. You all are so pc now you forgot what paul said 10’years ago.

I dont recall once collins even coming close to that bullshit paul said. Not even close.

So much butthurt paul packed his bag and went home leaving us a .500 program at best. Please. Bring the juice. Paul got old. Tired. And was ready for a break and his teams showed it lately. We had great times with him. But it was a good move on his part. Tech wears on u

The only thing I can see is if a team has a history of bulking up OL. Somewhere like Michigan or Wisconsin that could sell him on getting to 300 lb in a year.

Speaking of which, I am glad the S&C coach is gone. I think guys should hate that coach, because that means he is getting the most out of your body (assuming no injuries). The last guy was too popular.

PJ had the guys running too much. That was a top down decision. I went from 290-295 to 315 and got much stronger with the S&C currently at u(sic)ga.
Lew is a phenomenal coach and with the running aspect gone, we will see gainz.

Absolutely! Everything we’ve done off the field is a complete rebuild. Our presence on social media in the past 2 months have been more than we’ve ever seen before. I really believe the Field of Dream line is true

“If you build it, they will come”

Our branding efforts have yielded great results (don’t believe me go check out the dancing exercise view from @GTstrength) and expect them to pay dividends again this weekend
Word. The old farts on the last staff didn't know how to relate to teenagers, and didn’t really seem to want to learn.

Well it's not like he is Justin "Herschel Walker" Franklin or something? No big cry but will be curious to see where he goes.

IMO, he’s leaving more for cultural reasons than football reasons. You can’t tell me that a year under Brent Key in a more pro style offense wasn’t going to prepare him for the NFL, which was the stated rationale for his transfer. So that doesn’t hold water with me. What I do think, gleaning a little about his family, the attraction of Tech was they were playing for a very restrained, old sczedhool coaching staff who came from a military school background. No frills. Very reserved. I can’t imagine what Coach Collins is doing with trying to embrace the city’s hip hop culture and social media is making them anything but squeamish. And, that’s fine. Some young men and their families will be turned off by what Collins is doing. If that’s the case, and he feels he needs to follow his heart elsewhere to feel like he fits in, I can’t fault him for it. Far more kids and their families, I think, will be attracted to it.
Well, that is certainly a possibility, but seems like a far-fetched reason to base this kind of a decision on. Another might be that a year in a new, pro style system might expose some of Braun's weaknesses that he'd rather not showcase in the run up to the draft. He is already undersized for the NFL, though he could bulk up. It is just curious, regardless of the reasoning.

Or when paul said publicly chans roster was top heavy in talent but he believed he would have better talent throughout the roster past 1-10. Or tenutas feast or famine d. When all we had under paul was famine

Oh those with selective memory. You all are so pc now you forgot what paul said 10’years ago.

I dont recall once collins even coming close to that bullshit paul said. Not even close.

So much butthurt paul packed his bag and went home leaving us a .500 program at best. Please. Bring the juice. Paul got old. Tired. And was ready for a break and his teams showed it lately. We had great times with him. But it was a good move on his part. Tech wears on u

CPJ made have said that, and I haven't heard much about our current players positive or negative out of CGC; but I've had to argue in this thread and others that we ought to win at least 6 games this coming year with the talent we have right now. Most of this board has been derogatory about our current players for the past several years. It has become so routine to criticize our talent level that maybe most of you don't even notice it anymore. Parker Braun is too small and flops on the ground like our other OL right? It will take CGC at least 3 years of recruiting to even be competitive in the Coastal Division right? All the hype is that we will finally have players that are P5 talent instead of being out manned because we have FCS level talent.

CPJ never met my recruiting expectations, and I think he lost the fire while MBob was here; so I'm glad he retired. I am glad we have a coach that former players will support for change (and I hate finding out they haven't been supportive up until now); but guys pretending like nothing derogatory is said about our current players on here are kidding themselves. I hope CGC and the current staff can keep the current team together; because we have to play with the team we have and 2 or 3 years of terrible seasons aren't going to get the 4* and 5* players everyone wants lining up to play here.

PJ had the guys running too much. That was a top down decision. I went from 290-295 to 315 and got much stronger with the S&C currently at u(sic)ga.
Lew is a phenomenal coach and with the running aspect gone, we will see gainz.

I can see than. The triple needs explosive guys but not bulldozers. That is going to lend itself to lighter guys who only have to hold a block for a second.

I’m confident that the current group will bulk up. I just don’t know how quickly it can be done. I thought that Skov thinned out in his year here.

What I am looking forward to is some motivation from the top. I thought CPJ was too much of a ‘just do your job’ type of guy, especially towards the end. I look forward to a Dabo guy who can get the players hyped, not just pregame, but all week.

0F2DC00B-0D21-4D7C-A2E2-6FCB55EB6E07.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back