welp - our best OG is pursing his master's elsewhere

Status
Not open for further replies.
0F2DC00B-0D21-4D7C-A2E2-6FCB55EB6E07.jpg

Absolute unit

So basically trying parlay his football into an MBA from a different top school. If he goes somewhere like a Northwestern, Duke, Stanford, etc....then I would be proud of him for making an unusually smart business decision that greatly enhances his marketability outside of a career in football. If he goes to a dumb school then this is dumb.

So basically trying parlay his football into an MBA from a different top school. If he goes somewhere like a Northwestern, Duke, Stanford, etc....then I would be proud of him for making an unusually smart business decision that greatly enhances his marketability outside of a career in football. If he goes to a dumb school then this is dumb.
Also - is this a guarantee that he is gone or could this be a “listen up Tech.....admit me or else” type of move?

How does this work for the rest of this semester? Does he still condition and go through spring practices with the team?

I'd say no. It is a distraction.
I would think the same, but what about these hypotheticals: say he doesn't get the offer he wants or say it IS because he wasn't accepted into the grad program here and then does get accepted late. What if he decides to stay? Then he's missed out on all that? I'm sure now with this transfer portal there are going to be more and more players that want to test the waters, but some may end up still staying put.

I would think the same, but what about these hypotheticals: say he doesn't get the offer he wants or say it IS because he wasn't accepted into the grad program here and then does get accepted late. What if he decides to stay? Then he's missed out on all that? I'm sure now with this transfer portal there are going to be more and more players that want to test the waters, but some may end up still staying put.
We aren't in the business of giving a "what if" to someone with a stated desire to go somewhere else. If your girlfriend says she'd like to leave you and go elsewhere, but would like you to continue supporting her, I'd hope you'd tell her gtfo. He has a stated desire to go elsewhere. He needs to go. Best of luck and all that. Enjoyed watching him play, but that's it.

It’s unlikely that Northwestern, Duke or definately Stanford would let him into their MBA program. Those schools have plenty of other master’s degrees that look great on a resume, though.

Also - is this a guarantee that he is gone or could this be a “listen up Tech.....admit me or else” type of move?

Admission to grad programs tends to not work that way.

Also, we’re assuming this move is for academic reasons.

Last edited:
We aren't in the business of giving a "what if" to someone with a stated desire to go somewhere else. If your girlfriend says she'd like to leave you and go elsewhere, but would like you to continue supporting her, I'd hope you'd tell her gtfo. He has a stated desire to go elsewhere. He needs to go. Best of luck and all that. Enjoyed watching him play, but that's it.
He is still in school so will eat with his peers, do class with them and I assume work out with them at least some of the time. He is still on a full athletic scholarship until he leaves.

Hey look, he gave us four years and graduated. He's fulfilled his obligation in my book and this is just going to grad school at a different school to get a different perspective. It's always recommended to grad school somewhere other than your alma mater anyway so no biggie. He's done his time and now he gets to dip his stick in some nice coed booty somewhere.
Idiot,
Every player has fulfilled their obligation every day they report for practice. What obligation do you think any player has other than showing up one day? Selfish old öööö you are. Plantation like it seems.

Idiot,
Every player has fulfilled their obligation every day they report for practice. What obligation do you think any player has other than showing up one day? Selfish old öööö you are. Plantation like it seems.
LOL okay man. Yes I believe these players are slaves and owe us four years of indentured service. In fact, any player who transfers out has not met this obligation and should be brought back and whipped while tied to a stake. That's precisely what I was saying and I'm glad you were able to catch my plantation overtones and not let them get by unnoticed!

To ban Parker from the training table, or the weight room while he is still enrolled and on scholarship would be a terrible look for the new staff. He has been a warrior in white and gold exactly the same as Marco Coleman, Tashard, Brent Key, or Nathan Burden. He gets to stay until he leaves.

To ban Parker from the training table, or the weight room while he is still enrolled and on scholarship would be a terrible look for the new staff. He has been a warrior in white and gold exactly the same as Marco Coleman, Tashard, Brent Key, or Nathan Burden. He gets to stay until he leaves.
Never said to ban him from the training table or weight room. He just shouldn't train with the team. We need to concentrate on guys that will be trying to win games for GT this season, not someone who will be playing elsewhere. Especially since he could choose a team we play this season. He needs to be just as much of an outsider to how our team will operate as any other opposing team's players

Never said to ban him from the training table or weight room. He just shouldn't train with the team. We need to concentrate on guys that will be trying to win games for GT this season, not someone who will be playing elsewhere. Especially since he could choose a team we play this season. He needs to be just as much of an outsider to how our team will operate as any other opposing team's players
He is a high-integrity guy. I'm sure he'll be around a lot but he and the coaches will work out a plan as to when he can workout in the weight room. As weird as it sounds, I think this is becoming the norm in college football. Kelly Bryant was still hanging with the Clemson team in the middle of the season after he had "quit" and was still enrolled in classes. That seemed very odd to me but Dabo and crew seemed to handle it well.

Why not train with the team? He is part of the team.

He might transfer. That's what the portal is. But he is still part of the team and may never transfer.

The school can pull the scolly when a kid enters the portal, but there is no motivation to do so in this situation. If he starts talking trash and stops working and affects other players like a cancer, then you cut him. Has not happened yet. Would not be in his best interest to be that way, either, and you don't get to be the best at your position with that set of attitudes anyway.

You say, "Boo hoo. he may give our secrets away to the enemy." That's silly in this case. What will he be able to report? "The dreaded Yellow Jacket Army has installed basic concepts common to many programs. They are believed to be planning to run and pass and RPO." That's it. Any detailed install will be in the fall. An opponent during Sept and Oct would be better off just watching Temple film.

Lots of "ifs" in this thread. Too many. You guys make a flow chart of it all if you want. I am going to wait until more info comes out.

Last edited:
Why not train with the team? He is part of the team.

He might transfer. That's what the portal is. But he is still part of the team and may never transfer.

The school can pull the scolly when a kid enters the portal, but there is no motivation to do so in this situation.

Lots of "ifs" in this thread. Too many. You guys make a flow chart of it all if you want. I am going to wait until more info comes out.
a player who has indicated he wishes to transfer away should not take one second of time away from a player who will be suiting up for us in 2019. Especially if it is your wish that maybe he just entered the portal and might come back. Coaches need to focus on his replacement

a player who has indicated he wishes to transfer away should not take one second of time away from a player who will be suiting up for us in 2019. Especially if it is your wish that maybe he just entered the portal and might come back. Coaches need to focus on his replacement

Who says he is taking any time?

And players help each other. He's still an experienced player and knows what it takes to succeed even when you are not the biggest guy. Young players need to know that. Not clear he is a net negative, not by a longshot.

It’s unlikely that Northwestern, Duke or definately Stanford would let him into their MBA program. Those schools have plenty of other master’s degrees that look great on a resume, though.

Admission to grad programs tends to not work that way.

Also, we’re assuming this move is for academic reasons.

The hell they don’t work that way. Otherwise you wouldn’t have a bunch of football players getting accepted into grad school. They are clearly going to play football.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back