We're baaaaack.....

The BGU coach said this was the first time his team had faced a TO team. While pleased (thrilled) with the results, this does not disprove the working theory that our frequent opponents have figured out how to defend it or slow it down. I reserve the "turned the corner" judgement for our ACC games.

They put 9 in the box. Going to be a little tough to run. The pass was wide open all game due to 9 in the box.

The had 6 on the line and 3 LB with no safeties and GT still ran the ball.

I saw pitches that looked good.

I saw one play for TQM and TO that should have been a pitch. TQM turned back inside for his. So muc h better to hit the guy or try and break an arm tackle.

This looked like a good team... wish this was day one versus game 5. Stay off the golf cart CPJ and step on the toes of your people a little and get into that practice huddle!
In his post-game comments, CPJ said TQM didn't miss a read today.

Regretfully the last W of the season. Sad face and down vote. This team is poorly coached. Our secondary looked like crap in the first half and out of position. Did ted roof back? What’s up with a ten yard cushion on 3rd and 5?

Most if not all of those long passes were underthrown and would have been broken up or intercepted by a decent secondary.
This is true. For years now, our QB's have relied upon our WR's being wide open and benefiting from really soft coverage to complete long balls. How many times have TD's turned into 'only' long completions because WR's had to slow up to get the ball?

I would say he missed were he should run at the least. I need to rewatch on the pitch. But, he did stop and turn back and was tackled. CPJ would never condone turning back inside. I hope he can eliminate all turning back inside (versus up field).

That was one play. He did excellent on the others!

Despite the blowout, did it seem like the offense (on the ground, at least) still wasn’t as smooth and effective as it used to be? Particularly against a terrible run defense.

Outside of Oliver’s runs, it felt like more of a grind it out slog than it should against a bad team. I wasn’t particularly encouraged despite the big win, but it still beats losing.

JRjr
I haven’t watched on tv but it looked like they were crowding the box and selling out on stopping the run. And I thought we did pretty good against that.

I would say he missed were he should run at the least. I need to rewatch on the pitch. But, he did stop and turn back and was tackled. CPJ would never condone turning back inside. I hope he can eliminate all turning back inside (versus up field).

That was one play. He did excellent on the others!
"I'll have to check the tape."

I'm sure CPJ will be more qualified in his praise at the weekly presser and radio show.

"Underthrown passes"

I'd like to gently remind everyone of the nature of our passing game when we had receivers like D. Thomas and Smelter. I would LOVE to see more "underthrown passes" go Jalen Camp's way. That would be a significant improvement in our passing game.

Give him an extension.

TD's on every possession but one.
Tried out new kicker who was perfect.
Great looking punt.
No offensive penalties.
Perfect spirals for big gains.
D causes crucial turnovers.
D allows no scores at the end of the halves.

Looking forward to a rematch against a Lawrence-less CU in two months.

Yes, I am kidding. Sort of.
Um, sure.

Regretfully the last W of the season. Sad face and down vote. This team is poorly coached. Our secondary looked like crap in the first half and out of position. Did ted roof back? What’s up with a ten yard cushion on 3rd and 5?
We allowed 17 pts to a team that averages 26. Bowling Green is not a good team, but they're not Alcorn State or somebody either. Ted Roof would given up 30+ points yesterday, and would definitely not have forced the turnovers that we did. The defense is still not good, but it's a work in progress.

The offense was a thing of beauty, though. 7 consecutive drives for TDs before we put in the subs. I get that it's Bowling Green, but it was great watching us be almost perfect on decision making, on target with our passes, and catch all of the balls that we should have. That is enough to beat at least half of the teams left on our schedule, even without significant defensive improvement.

"Underthrown passes"

I'd like to gently remind everyone of the nature of our passing game when we had receivers like D. Thomas and Smelter. I would LOVE to see more "underthrown passes" go Jalen Camp's way. That would be a significant improvement in our passing game.

Camp would have 2 more TDs if they were placed better.

But I like that Camp went up and owned the ball.

I think PJ wants to get a big play out of it so he tells TM to throw it a little higher where we can run under it. That way we limit the overthrows or otherwise incomplete passes.

As I watched I remember wondering whether other defenses would be able to make a play that BG could not make. I guess we will find out.

The BGU coach said this was the first time his team had faced a TO team. While pleased (thrilled) with the results, this does not disprove the working theory that our frequent opponents have figured out how to defend it or slow it down. I reserve the "turned the corner" judgement for our ACC games.
All of our opponents have figured it out. It’s not hard. You either need defenders who can shed the first block or you need Tech to screw up and use two guys to block one. Otherwise it’s a pure numbers game.

Camp would have 2 more TDs if they were placed better.

But I like that Camp went up and owned the ball.
I'll take it. We've generally had guys that can go up and get the ball 1v1, so we just need to create that matchup, hold our blocks, and deliver the ball so that our WR has a chance. If it hits him in stride so that he can run after the catch, that's just gravy.

Back