"We're just now catching up to where everybody else is "

Womack didn't choose his assistants. So it's hard to call them his.

my history on that part is a little hazy. weren't most of them from tenuta? or were they guys that CPJ brought?

my history on that part is a little hazy. weren't most of them from tenuta? or were they guys that CPJ brought?

If you are talking defense only

Brian Jean-Mary was linebackers coach, holdover from Gailey/Tenuta

Charley Kelly was cornerbacks, holdover.

Giff Smith was a holdover, DL

My point DA is that he has only changed in the last year or so when Gailey's talent ran out on him and he is in trouble about losing his big tit to suck on.

It took a while for CPJ's recruits to see significant playing time. He was hired in late 2007 and did what he could prior to the start of the 2008-2009 season. He said most of his recruiting time then was spent recruiting the guys who were on the team and who had committed under Gailey.

His first full class was the class that entered school in Fall 2009. Most of them redshirted in 2009. 2010 would have been their first year of playing. Redshirt freshman are undersized and make a lot of mistakes, so you're still evaluating partly on potential. So it really wasn't until after the 2011-2012 season that CPJ could start to properly evaluate just how good or bad those players were. And then that was just one recruiting class. This past season gave him a second class to look at and a second look at his first class. At that point it looks like he agreed with the fans that he needed to start doing some things differently.

I think the reason CPJ got labled as stubborn is that when he came to GT, he had an understanding of what had made him successful in the past. He didn't come to GT and say "What I used to do won't work anymore because it's GT not Navy, it's ACC not Independent, it's this, not that". Rather, he stuck to what he knew to be a successful way of doing things when it did not appear to be working and he stuck to it when other people told him what he was doing wouldn't work. He stuck with what had made him successful previously until he was convinced that it wouldn't make him successful at GT. Now that he's had some time to try out his ideas, he starting to change them. And perhaps none to soon.

Jason, I agree with most of what you say. I have been called a pragmatist myself, and consider it to be a compliment. We shall see.

It took a while for CPJ's recruits to see significant playing time. He was hired in late 2007 and did what he could prior to the start of the 2008-2009 season. He said most of his recruiting time then was spent recruiting the guys who were on the team and who had committed under Gailey.

His first full class was the class that entered school in Fall 2009. Most of them redshirted in 2009. 2010 would have been their first year of playing. Redshirt freshman are undersized and make a lot of mistakes, so you're still evaluating partly on potential. So it really wasn't until after the 2011-2012 season that CPJ could start to properly evaluate just how good or bad those players were. And then that was just one recruiting class. This past season gave him a second class to look at and a second look at his first class. At that point it looks like he agreed with the fans that he needed to start doing some things differently.

I think the reason CPJ got labled as stubborn is that when he came to GT, he had an understanding of what had made him successful in the past. He didn't come to GT and say "What I used to do won't work anymore because it's GT not Navy, it's ACC not Independent, it's this, not that". Rather, he stuck to what he knew to be a successful way of doing things when it did not appear to be working and he stuck to it when other people told him what he was doing wouldn't work. He stuck with what had made him successful previously until he was convinced that it wouldn't make him successful at GT. Now that he's had some time to try out his ideas, he starting to change them. And perhaps none to soon.

This is some pretty good stuff. I think it makes a lot of sense. When I jumped from law school to big law, I didn't change around what made me successful in law school. Same thing from high school to college to law school.

You stick with what you know. Later when you have experience you make changes to your approach, usually based on the experience you have gained.

I'm glad CPJ didn't make assumptions when he switched from Navy to GT. What if he said, oh I must have to pay players to recruit them, and started doling out 20-30k? Or he could have said well speed in my linemen isn't important anymore, I need size.

I'd rather him stick with what he knew worked and make adjustments over time.

Back