We're not going to have a passing game this year

GTKyle

Dodd-Like
Seems like every season there is some article/bunch of people on here talking about how we're going to throw all over the field and our QB looks amazing.

Isn't going to happen. We will run 80% of the time and Tevin will be < 50% on completions.

We need to throw the ball the same amount, but complete 10% more of the attempts to be successful.

Yeah I have. I have been to at least one preseason scrimmage for every year we have had PJ. And this scrimmage was completely different. I dont know if PJ was passing more to service the Defense or if he really intends to pass more, but there were considerably more passing plays in this scrimmage than any I have ever been to.

I dont know if PJ was passing more to service the Defense or if he really intends to pass more, but there were considerably more passing plays in this scrimmage than any I have ever been to.

Maybe it was to reduce the number of balls on the ground over the course of the scrimmage?

/kidding

We passed a lot but there were a ton of east-west passes for <5 yards. We moved the ball towards the end with TWs 2 drives and Days' pass to Greene, but that is about all I can remember. Everything else were very short passes to ABs...not that I'm complaining about it. I guess the whole point is to get them the ball in space so people like Zenon and Orwin can make something happen.

I have to agree. We won't have a passing game until we find a deadly accurate passer, and that person is NOT Tevin or Synjyn and won't be Vad for another year or two (if at all).

I have to agree. We won't have a passing game until we find a deadly accurate passer, and that person is NOT Tevin or Synjyn and won't be Vad for another year or two (if at all).

Don't need deadly accurate passers to have a passing game.

We do need receivers that can catch the football though.

Scrimmage Saturday was simply to get more practice in with the passing game. Anyone that thinks we're going to pass even 50% of the time just because of what they saw during the scrimmage is too gullible.

Seems like every season there is some article/bunch of people on here talking about how we're going to throw all over the field and our QB looks amazing.

Isn't going to happen. We will run 80% of the time and Tevin will be < 50% on completions.

I agree until we prove otherwise. However, I'm perfectly happy running the ball until the other side proves they can stop us.

I agree until we prove otherwise. However, I'm perfectly happy running the ball until the other side proves they can stop us.

True, but the more you run, the less you pass...the less you pass the less likely you are to be good at it. If you only pass on 3rd and long....well, you know.

We were 82/18 run/pass last year...hopefully we can get closer to 75/25 or heaven forbid, 70/30?! with the right QB. For comparison, our opponents were 53/47.

But I agree that we don't need a deadly accurate passer. Mediocre would be great...50% completion would be great (Dobbs was 55% last year).

I think you guys don't really understand CPJ. He only passes because he has to. If he could average 4 yards per carry, and never put the ball on the ground behind the line of scrimmage, he would NEVER pass.

I think you guys don't really understand CPJ. He only passes because he has to. If he could average 4 yards per carry, and never put the ball on the ground behind the line of scrimmage, he would NEVER pass.

Gee, I wonder if he shared this offensive philosphy with Vad when he was recruiting him to come to GT?

If Groh could hold an offense to 2 yards per play every play only running a goalline formation, he would probably never run the 3-4. Since we all know this is impossible and unsustainable, he chooses to run different sets.

Gee, I wonder if he shared this offensive philosphy with Vad when he was recruiting him to come to GT?

+1

Vad's more of a dual-threat qb. Not to mention didn't CPJ say that if he had the tools, he would incorporate more passing plays?

If Groh could hold an offense to 2 yards per play every play only running a goalline formation, he would probably never run the 3-4. Since we all know this is impossible and unsustainable, he chooses to run different sets.

Exactly. There is no denying that CPJ is a run first guy, and that's fine...hell, you can have a 60/40 run/pass ratio and still be considered run first. But I HOPE CPJ realizes that if he wants to win in the upper echelon of college football (so sayeth Helluva), he is going to need a passing threat. That doesn't mean 40% passes or even 30% passes, just that he has to be able to pass to some degree if for no other reason than to keep the defenses honest in order to get the most out of his running game. If I had to put a number on it, I would say something like a 55% completion ratio and ~125 YPG average.

Bad analogy is bad.

Offense = attack
Defense = react

Meaning, defense doesn't dictate.

Hey, I'd love to be slinging it all over the field, but as long as CPJ is the coach, it is not going to happen. 20% passing would be a maximum.

Back