We're not going to have a passing game this year

Bad analogy is bad.

Offense = attack
Defense = react

Meaning, defense doesn't dictate.

Hey, I'd love to be slinging it all over the field, but as long as CPJ is the coach, it is not going to happen. 20% passing would be a maximum.

Let me try again...

If Mike Leach could gain 4 yards every time he ran the ball, he would not pass either. It has nothing to do with the coach, it is all base upon an unattainable "IF". If I could win the lottery every day I would not go to work... Again, an uttainable if. The fact is, PJ can't gain 4 yards every time he runs it, and the best way to make room for his running game is to pass more and do it effectively. Look at what Iowa and Miami did to us in 2009. Even when our running game is totally clicking, some teams will have the ability to stuff our run and force us to pass... PJ realizes this and is trying to broaden the teams capabilities. He does what needs to do to win. Look at Hawaii for example..

Bad analogy is bad.

Offense = attack
Defense = react

Hey, I'd love to be slinging it all over the field, but as long as CPJ is the coach, it is not going to happen. 20% passing would be a maximum.
How much wrong can be packed into one post?

Bad analogy is bad.

Offense = attack
Defense = react

We were actually 80/20 in 2008.

The 3-O doesn't dictate, it reacts. It takes what the defense gives. Just saying. That's actually one of the things I dislike about it.

Look at what Iowa and Miami did to us in 2009. Even when our running game is totally clicking, some teams will have the ability to stuff our run and force us to pass... PJ realizes this and is trying to broaden the teams capabilities.

I hope so. But the trouble I see is that he doesn't favor a shotgun formation. How many snaps did we take in the shotgun in 2010?

Is it easier to pass from a run formation, or run from a shogun formation. If you are looking to throw your opponent off, and use the pass to open up the run, don't you need to at least look like you are going to pass on occasion?

The last time we were able to pass effectively, we had a top notch WR. Maybe we will have one again?

^ And the components that make up the reactive 3-O are humans that are subject to imperfection, so if we can't run it right we will blow up ourselves.

Bad analogy is bad.

What's up with people talking like this "x thing is x".. Is it supposed to be funny? Is it a southern thing?

I hate the shotgun because you start every play off losing 4 yards and a bad snap in the Gun is usually more devastating than a bad snap under center...

The 3-O doesn't dictate, it reacts. It takes what the defense gives. Just saying. That's actually one of the things I dislike about it.

That was the basis of my estimate. First year of seeing the offense for most of our opponents, an experienced option QB in Shaw for a few games, and a healthy Nesbit down the stretch. All with Bey Bey's hands to catch the ball.

You're just splitting hairs here. Name an offensive play in football that doesn't have a reaction component to it like you are insinuating.

The 3-0 under center worked pretty well for Nebraska. Look there's multiple ways to skin a Cat and everyone has their opinions and that's mine...

What decade?

Hey, of course everyone has opinions. And if you don't care to read other people's, and have other people read yours, why post?

You're just splitting hairs here. Name an offensive play in football that doesn't have a reaction component to it like you are insinuating.

The option is multiple plays within one depending on what the defense does (reacting to the defense). A typical running play is just one play. Sure, the RB can improvise and run to a different hole but still...yep, splitting hairs kind of.

The 3-0 under center worked pretty well for Nebraska. Look there's multiple ways to skin a Cat and everyone has their opinions and that's mine...

Small note of difference: they did not run it out of the flexbone...they ran it out of the I and with a TE (IIRC). Just sayin'...but I'm not sure you could really run the 3-0 as we know it out of the gun...that would be an awkward dive wouldn't it? Hell, I'd prefer it out of the gun...it would let the BB run more like a regular back (UF running the zone read option out of the gun with the addition of a AB going on motion).

I hate the shotgun because you start every play off losing 4 yards and a bad snap in the Gun is usually more devastating than a bad snap under center...

You would have hated Dodd's 8 yard shot gun. Its true. It allowed him to run his offense or quick kick with his qb on 3rd down with no chance of a return and very little chance of a block.

Another thread of worthlessness. The season can't get here soon enough.

The option is multiple plays within one depending on what the defense does (reacting to the defense). A typical running play is just one play. Sure, the RB can improvise and run to a different hole but still...yep, splitting hairs kind of.

...and if you're playing man press coverage, I'm gonna look to burn you deep.

...and if you're playing a soft zone, I'm gonna break off my routes.

...and if you're in a base 4-3 with a S in the box, I'm gonna change my blocking assignments accordingly.

All reactions. Across all offenses.

Splitting hairs in a major way.

...and if you're playing man press coverage, I'm gonna look to burn you deep.

...and if you're playing a soft zone, I'm gonna break off my routes.

...and if you're in a base 4-3 with a S in the box, I'm gonna change my blocking assignments accordingly.

All reactions. Across all offenses.

Splitting hairs in a major way.

Of course passing is (anything more than a 1-man route), I'm talking more about running. I think of passing as exploiting and running as imposing. Hell, the whole offense is centered around leaving one defender unblocked and then reacting to what the one defender does...contrast that to running any other running play.

Let me revise my statement: The 3-0 is much more reactive than your typical offense. There...

Back