We're not going to have a passing game this year

Yeah Kyle may still be right. Let's bump this at the end of the year after we have won some real games.

+1. The 4 big plays I can remember:

Hill long TD - good throw, but Hill turned a decent gain into a long TD

Melton long reception - sketchy looking throw with a lot of hangtime that worked b/c the CB completely left Melton and played run

Hill long TD - well underthrown but Hill was fast enough to still beat out the secondary

Roddy TD - lofted pass that would have almost certainly been picked off against a team with a halfway decent safety

Not to completely discount the passing attack because we made the plays that were there. But it's way too early to think we can do that consistently against the much better defenses we will be playing this season.

+1. The 4 big plays I can remember:

Hill long TD - good throw, but Hill turned a decent gain into a long TD

Melton long reception - sketchy looking throw with a lot of hangtime that worked b/c the CB completely left Melton and played run

Hill long TD - well underthrown but Hill was fast enough to still beat out the secondary

Roddy TD - lofted pass that would have almost certainly been picked off against a team with a halfway decent safety

Not to completely discount the passing attack because we made the plays that were there. But it's way too early to think we can do that consistently against the much better defenses we will be playing this season.
The pass to Melton was thrown by Days.

FWIW, it had to have been game 6 before we hit 400 yards passing last year. I'd say we've made an improvement just because we didn't drop 50+% of them.

May be a bit early but we threw in a number of pass attempts when we didn't have to. We had what, 7 straight pass attempts at one point?

I think there are two ways of looking at it - either we threw more because that will be a point of emphasis this year or we threw more because CPJ wanted to work on that aspect of the game (and thus wants to rely on it more going forward).

Either way, its hard to read the game as indicating that we will pass less than last year.

I never thought I would hear CPJ say it, but he said in a recent press conference (it might have been the post-WCU presser) that GT would pass more this year. In the past he has said GT just needed to be more efficient, but he did not say that. He said GT would pass more. Not only that, he said that due to the OL, the team would have to pass more. So it's not more passing because he wants to, but because he feels that he has to. This is quite a departure from his previous comments.

^

Someone's getting good with his emoticons...

Wait, BOR, where is the land of assholes as you see it?

I never thought I would hear CPJ say it, but he said in a recent press conference (it might have been the post-WCU presser) that GT would pass more this year. In the past he has said GT just needed to be more efficient, but he did not say that. He said GT would pass more. Not only that, he said that due to the OL, the team would have to pass more. So it's not more passing because he wants to, but because he feels that he has to. This is quite a departure from his previous comments.

I think it was more a function of WCU's defense selling out on the run... I mean, they basically dared us to pass, and we did. Over and over.

I think it is safe to say you really just need a QB with the vision to find the open guy on passing plays. Doesn't need a cannon for an arm like Nesbitt had. Tevin will be fine in passing plays so long as they aren't bomb plays. There will definitely be more passing this year though. It is the only way to keep opposing defenses from overloading the box.

I heard these same points, but I think you got some of this not quite right.

He said we would pass more- in context because Tevin was getting better at it and because OL was getting better at pass-protection. It was not that OL was not capable of blocking for our running game.

I think it was more a function of WCU's defense selling out on the run... I mean, they basically dared us to pass, and we did. Over and over.

The teams that really gave us trouble last year pretty much did as well.

When Tevin rolls out and an LB or safety thinks they're beating and A-Back block but are really leaving him open for a pass, it's gonna be beautiful.

He said we would pass more- in context because Tevin was getting better at it and because OL was getting better at pass-protection. It was not that OL was not capable of blocking for our running game.

I was a bit stunned by the words comming out of his mouth and so I may have mis-interpreted some of what he said, but I got the impression - and maybe it's the wrong impression - that he was a bit concerned about OL. CPJ didn't go into any great detail as to why. I do recall a comment about the pass protection being a bit better, now that you mention it.

The teams that really gave us trouble last year pretty much did as well.

When Tevin rolls out and an LB or safety thinks they're beating and A-Back block but are really leaving him open for a pass, it's gonna be beautiful.

This. And then a better passing game should in turn help the running game.

Washington had all kinds of time in the pocket against WCU. If we see more of that against the UNCs and VTs, you bet your ass we're going to pass the ball more.

I'd have to relisten, but I thought I remembered CPJ alluding to the fact that our OL was young and inexperienced as a reason why we need to pass more this year in the post-game presser posted on Rivals (free).

The biggest positive that can be taken away from this game is Hill finally has some confidence. How well he handles this success.... time will tell, but Kyle will be right if Hill doesn't do this every game.
Other than the OL, which we really can't evaluate fairly right now, only other concern I have with the passing game is TW floating passes... Against anyone else, probably would've been at least one INT, if not more.

Back