We're not going to have a passing game this year

This is the best bump I've seen in a long time.

5dcbda69_122312d1238514875-sg-glass-auction-topia-april-fundraiser-bump.gif

Just thought I throw this one back at GTKyle. I know it may be a little early, but I sure would not want to miss a chance to show him how wrong he is...

This is the best bump I've seen in a long time.

Everybody knows that the past 3 seasons totally determines what happens this year. Idiot

I have to admit I was fooled by the first four games of our season as well. In the end we all look like fools.

We had a significantly better passing game than last year; threw it all over the field far more than I expected after how last year ended. Offensive line did a better job of pass protection as well.

I'd like to see what Tevin's completion percentage would have been if we count the passes that our receivers simply dropped.

Pass% is the best it's been since CPJ came to Tech by a very small margin.

2009: 46.43%
2011: 46.71%

You are right, 2003 was the last year. Forgot how promising Reggie looked his freshman year.

It is interesting that we had around 2000 yards passing each of Reggie's years. Tevin has 1500 this year (though the stats are padded vs weaker competition). In 2009 Josh Nesbitt had 1700 yards. That is impressive considering we throw half as much.

Reggie's freshman year was the last 50%+ completion year.

We had a significantly better passing game than last year; threw it all over the field far more than I expected after how last year ended. Offensive line did a better job of pass protection as well.

I'd like to see what Tevin's completion percentage would have been if we count the passes that our receivers simply dropped.

Pass% is the best it's been since CPJ came to Tech by a very small margin.

2009: 46.43%
2011: 46.71%

That may be a function of his inconsistency as a quarterback. Josh Nesbitt and Michael Vick both had that same problem of receivers dropping wide open passes.

We will run 80% of the time and Tevin will be < 50% on completions.

Well, against Utah we ran only 79% of the time, and Tevin was 11 for 15 (73%).

Progress!

Well, against Utah we ran only 79% of the time, and Tevin was 11 for 15 (73%).

Progress!

and 5 of those completions were quick outs that gained AT MOST 5 yds,what a passing attack!

and 5 of those completions were quick outs that gained AT MOST 5 yds,what a passing attack!

9.1 yards per pass (not per completion, mind you) and 70%+ completion rate. Not outstanding but not as miserable as you want to believe.

I know our passing attack was inconsistent at best, but some of you folks are trying way too hard to put down the team.

9.1 yards per pass (not per completion, mind you) and 70%+ completion rate. Not outstanding but not as miserable as you want to believe.

Tevin's completions. Only 4 or so were down field if I recall correctly. The rest were along or behind the line of scrimmage.

Washington passed to S. Hill to the right for 4 yards
Washington passed to T. Melton to the left for 2 yards
Washington passed to S. Hill to the right for 2 yards
Washington passed to R. Jones to the left for 1 yards
Washington passed to Peeples to the left for 58 yards
Washington passed to S. Hill to the right for 31 yards
Washington passed to T. Melton to the left for 4 yards
Washington passed to Melton to the left for 13 yards
Washington passed to R. Jones to the left for 9 yards
Washington passed to P. Lyons to the left for 2 yards
Washington passed to P. Lyons to the right for 6 yards

And by establishing the quick out, we brought the CBs up closer to the receivers, allowing us to beat them deep a couple of times.

I don't remember when it was, but I recall Hill running right by his guy into the endzone one time and frantically calling for the ball. Too bad TW didn't see him on that one...

Tevin's completions. Only 4 or so were down field if I recall correctly. The rest were along or behind the line of scrimmage.

Washington passed to S. Hill to the right for 4 yards
Washington passed to T. Melton to the left for 2 yards
Washington passed to S. Hill to the right for 2 yards
Washington passed to R. Jones to the left for 1 yards
Washington passed to Peeples to the left for 58 yards
Washington passed to S. Hill to the right for 31 yards
Washington passed to T. Melton to the left for 4 yards
Washington passed to Melton to the left for 13 yards
Washington passed to R. Jones to the left for 9 yards
Washington passed to P. Lyons to the left for 2 yards
Washington passed to P. Lyons to the right for 6 yards

It's not clear whether or not you realize that most QBs with high completion percentages throw a lot of short passes.

Read what I wrote again.

I have, a couple of times, and I'm still not entirely clear on your views of the passing attack based on what you wrote. If you were simply posting stats, than I apologize in advance. If your post was, in fact, in the "our passing attack was pathetic" camp, than my response is this:

58 yard bombs and 31 yard TD passes are a dime a dozen. amiright?

Not to mention that our passing game gave us a chance at a game winning field goal at the end of regulation. Like I said, it was inconsistent at best the whole year and certainly left a lot to be desired at times, but you can't just disregard the good plays when making the argument.

I have, a couple of times, and I'm still not entirely clear on your views of the passing attack based on what you wrote. If you were simply posting stats, than I apologize in advance. If your post was, in fact, in the "our passing attack was pathetic" camp, than my response is this:

58 yard bombs and 31 yard TD passes are a dime a dozen. amiright?

Not to mention that our passing game gave us a chance at a game winning field goal at the end of regulation. Like I said, it was inconsistent at best the whole year and certainly left a lot to be desired at times, but you can't just disregard the good plays when making the argument.

The 58 yarder to Peeples and the TD pass to Hill were things of beauty, I agree.

My point was that the 70+% completion rate is misleading. Over half his completions were between 1 and 4 yards and those (correct me if I'm wrong) were mostly quick outs to Melton/Hill or throws to our backs behind the line of scrimmage.

Back