Were we bad or just outsmarted?

xcnewbee

Varsity Lurker
Going into the game, one thing that I was excited about was all the interceptions Cox would throw. I was shocked that he didn't throw one through the whole game, and that D. Morgan didn't have an impact. Then looking at it I realized, our D was totally bad. Yes, we had alot to improve on, but after watching UGA all year, they passed a ton.
OSU - (15/30 162 yds)
South Carolina - (17/24 201 yds)
Arkansas - (18/25 375 yds)
Arizona State - (17/31 242 yds)
LSU - (18/34 229 yds)
Tennessee - (19/34 146 yds)
Vandy - (16/31 226 yds)
Florida - (11/20 165 yds)
TT - (10/13 140 yds)
Auburn - (9/17 173 yds)
UK - (12/30 291 yds)
Looking at this I would assume them to keep passing the ball. But, CMR decided to run the ball constantly, having Cox complete (8/14) for 76 yards. Our D was outsmarted. D. Morgan gets taken out of the game if they never throw the ball. So, UGA, as much as I hate to say this, outsmarted us.:wow: (in that aspect of the game). The less Cox throws the fewer turnovers they have. After saying that, we still could have played better all around. Now, hopefully our D can find a way to adapt to something like this in the future.

I was shocked that he didn't throw one through the whole game, and that D. Morgan didn't have an impact.
They were only in 3rd and long twice all game, and we got a sack on one of those. You can't get interceptions or sacks if they can run it up the middle on an iso play for 76 yards, because your MLB is taking himself out of the play blitzing into the B gap and there's nobody to cover his position.

Going into the game, one thing that I was excited about was all the interceptions Cox would throw. I was shocked that he didn't throw one through the whole game, and that D. Morgan didn't have an impact. Then looking at it I realized, our D was totally bad. Yes, we had alot to improve on, but after watching UGA all year, they passed a ton.
OSU - (15/30 162 yds)
South Carolina - (17/24 201 yds)
Arkansas - (18/25 375 yds)
Arizona State - (17/31 242 yds)
LSU - (18/34 229 yds)
Tennessee - (19/34 146 yds)
Vandy - (16/31 226 yds)
Florida - (11/20 165 yds)
TT - (10/13 140 yds)
Auburn - (9/17 173 yds)
UK - (12/30 291 yds)
Looking at this I would assume them to keep passing the ball. But, CMR decided to run the ball constantly, having Cox complete (8/14) for 76 yards. Our D was outsmarted. D. Morgan gets taken out of the game if they never throw the ball. So, UGA, as much as I hate to say this, outsmarted us.:wow: (in that aspect of the game). The less Cox throws the fewer turnovers they have. After saying that, we still could have played better all around. Now, hopefully our D can find a way to adapt to something like this in the future.
Our D better get ready for more of the same against Clemson.:mad:

I don't think we got outsmarted, because that implies Richt found something on film that we weren't aware of and took advantage of it. We all knew our defense was bad, and in particular our defensive line/line backers. If anything, Mark Richt did the only logical thing he could've done: run the ball.

Our Defense allowed over 9 yards a carry for their top two runningbacks. Sorry... that's ****ing awful. I could string together a defense from Little Mermaids Academy that could do better than that ****.

TANUTA BLITZ would have been a good plan for us since our D-Line (save DMorgan) are ****ing terrible.

I wouldn't call it outsmarted. It was a simple coaching call, play to your strengths, UGA OL running vs. GT DL, and try to hide your weakness, UGA pass attack (minus AJ Green) vs. GT pass rush.

Exactly, this proves we were outsmarted because we had no clue they would do this to us. We knew our weakness and theirs and we couldn't figure out that they would play to their strengths. But, oh well, as long as we play like we did against VT in the ACCCG we will do well.

TANUTA BLITZ would have been a good plan for us since our D-Line (save DMorgan) are ****ing terrible.

I haven't watched the tape yet, but I saw quite a bit of TANUTA BLITZ going on, and that was the problem. Our LBs charged right into a gap and ran themselves right out of the play, over and over. Our containment was terrible and our tackle angles were all bad because we were never in position. If someone can run 76 yards for a score after going 2 yards past the LOS that means your linebackers are in the wrong place.

seems like we were blitzing our LBs outside for some strange reason, even though they were running it straight up the middle

I wouldn't call it outsmarted. It was a simple coaching call, play to your strengths, UGA OL running vs. GT DL, and try to hide your weakness, UGA pass attack (minus AJ Green) vs. GT pass rush.

Correct.

Not an attempt to hijack the thread, but Richt should be crucified by his own for not doing what they against our defense. Their O-line just dominated the LOS

In hindsight, I think our defense would have looked much better if AJ Green would have been available. They would have kept the ball in Cox's hand and forced him to make the same kind of plays he's been making all year. Unfortunately that didn't happen and the rest is history as they say.

ugag, with more and better athletes, came out of the tunnel wanting to win more than us.

Until we get a greater number of better athletes and a greater will to win these types of games, especially at home, it will be the "same ol' same 'ol".

Both.

Our guys just weren't ready to play, especially on D. They also put together a fantastic game plan, which was a very simple plan. Run the ball and keep it out of our hands. I'm somewhat surprised that more tams haven't tried to do that rather than try to out score us.

Richt should be crucified?

Correct.

Not an attempt to hijack the thread, but Richt should be crucified by his own for not doing what they against our defense. Their O-line just dominated the LOS

In hindsight, I think our defense would have looked much better if AJ Green would have been available. They would have kept the ball in Cox's hand and forced him to make the same kind of plays he's been making all year. Unfortunately that didn't happen and the rest is history as they say.

Richt should be crucified for not firing Martinez two years ago......but not for his O this year. Simply put....we couldn't run like we did Saturday against ANYONE in the SEC.....that's why we didn't.

I haven't watched the tape yet, but I saw quite a bit of TANUTA BLITZ going on, and that was the problem. Our LBs charged right into a gap and ran themselves right out of the play, over and over. Our containment was terrible and our tackle angles were all bad because we were never in position. If someone can run 76 yards for a score after going 2 yards past the LOS that means your linebackers are in the wrong place.

Yep, and this is why the problem is Wommack, not personnel. When a team is running the ball every play, the last thing you should do is blitz. Heck, QBs like Peyton Manning will audible to a run if he sees a large blitz coming. It is exactly what you DON'T do when the opposition is running the ball.

Well BOR, easy to say, but back it up. What would you do differently with little maids? C'mon, let's have the scheme.

cajun, not the personnel? ONE punt in four of the biggest games of the year? Again, as I posted in another thread, say we bring in a DC named GOD, how much better will our corners cover, our LBs tackle, and our DL not skate backwards? Not to worry, we'll have BOR's scheme in a moment that Wommack and Giff are unaware of.

I don't think they came into the game with a gameplan to run the ball as much as they did. They saw the success they were having with it in the first drive and stuck with it until we could stop them. Coaching 101, keep doing what is working until it isn't and they never reached that last part. I think both staffs were shocked at how easily they destroyed our linemen. They punched our line in the mouth and we never recovered from it.

I don't think they came into the game with a gameplan to run the ball as much as they did. They saw the success they were having with it in the first drive and stuck with it until we could stop them. Coaching 101, keep doing what is working until it isn't and they never reached that last part. I think both staffs were shocked at how easily they destroyed our linemen. They punched our line in the mouth and we never recovered from it.

It was all over the papers that CMR's plan was to run the ball and control the clock. I don't think in his wildest dreams he thought they have two over 100 yards and rush for over 300.

I know that they wanted to run the ball going into the game but I think they were planning to go for a 60-40 mix not 75-25. Also, I didn't see anything in their schemes that was creative or unique. That is why I don't think they outsmarted us as much as they just flat out outplayed us. We made their coaching jobs easy for them and never put them in a position to have to try to outsmart us. Their offensive staff definitely did a better job of preparing their team to execute than our defensive staff did. Execution usually beats creative schemes and gameplans.

Back