Were we bad or just outsmarted?

Whew, man I'm so glad this as simple as BOR's blitzing adjustment and cajun's 101 basics and 10 year old kid theory. Gawd, the relief for us all! Clearly based on this insight, Clemson won't cross midfield. The ACCCG is gonna be fun to watch!

So, CPJ, Wommack, and Giff all wiffed on these basics that you guys and any 10 year old understands? Plus they continued to wiff on it after halftime. Geesh, get real. Look, I actually think a change may be called for too, but if you can't see glaring personnel shortages here, then imo you have never played a down at any level. You can blitz or not, take the correct angles or not, and if the guy taking you on is 20-30 lbs. bigger and stronger, you are gonna get knocked on your arse, and your coach is going to get calls for his head.

You don't think adjustments were made at halftime? Really? Did you not watch the same game I did?

UGA possessions:

1st half
1. 74 yards TD
2. 20 yards Fumble
3. 84 yards FG
4. 57 yards TD

2nd half
1. 75 yards TD on one busted play
2. 51 yards FG
3. 15 yards FG
4. 41 yards missed FG

So outside of one busted play to start the second half we didn't give up a TD and held them to 50 yards or less every drive. As opposed to the first half where we gave up 50+ yards every drive that UGAg did not fumble the ball.

I'd say we made adjustments, we just couldn't overcome our mistakes because UGA did a GREAT job of dictating the game (something we usually do).

Look at any replay on those runs, and you'll see LBs flowing right out of the play. There's a reason that cutback lanes were open for them all night. THERE WAS NO ONE THERE! If you can't come up with something resembling gap responsibility, then I don't know what else to say.

+1

Promote Giff to DC or look for another DC. Regardless, get rid of Wommack.

I do think we made adjustments. He's actually been pretty good at that this year. What we couldn't "adjust" for was the manhandling done by their OL, ala "dictating the game".

I do think we made adjustments. He's actually been pretty good at that this year. What we couldn't "adjust" for was the manhandling done by their OL, ala "dictating the game".

I'll say it slowly this time: There were plays where the OL just pushed us off the ball. For this, I don't blame the DC, I blame our lack of size.

However, there were plays, where the running back would start one way, and EVERYONE JUST RAN OVER THERE, leaving the cutback lane wide open. Morgan Burnett was making tackles 8 yards downfield all the time.

Since you asked, yes. In my sig picture, we played our gaps very well, and we were able to stuff Moreno on that play. However in the same game, Moreno was able to go up the middle on a 4th and 1 play, see that everyone was in the middle, and bounce it outside for a TD run. Kinda like Caleb King to start the second half. Kinda like Washaun Ealy on several plays Saturday night.

I don't think we need Tenuta back. I don't think we need to get rid of Wommack either. We need to recruit some big biscuit eaters for the O/L and D/L. We are undersized on both. Hang out at Burger King for awhile and recruit us some big boys is the thing that will help us out.

We need to do both. The talent isn't what it needs to be, and the coaching isn't even getting the most out of the talent we have.

Sax, I hear ya. Who had Jefferson in position to make that play in your Failure picture? Looks a LOT like gap responsibility to me. I guess Wommack & Giff were sober last year and drunk Saturday? If it's as obvious and basic as some here believe, then it's equally OBVIOUS that CPJ will have corrected it and we will likely shut Clemson out, right!? I mean good grief, we have a week to see it, and it ain't rocket science!:>)

Are you actually defending Wommack's defense by pointing to the UGA game last year when they put almost 500 yards of offense on us?

Ok, you're officially off the deep end. Wommack is a bad DC. Do you want to say he is good, prove it. Show me evidence that tells me that Wommack is a very competent DC.

Are you actually defending Wommack's defense by pointing to the UGA game last year when they put almost 500 yards of offense on us?

Ok, you're officially off the deep end. Wommack is a bad DC. Do you want to say he is good, prove it. Show me evidence that tells me that Wommack is a very competent DC.

Wommack is not a bad DC, but we don't know how good he is either.

Last year he had to replace 3 LB's (Wheeler, Guyton and Bowen) and 3 DB's (Lewis, Jones, Roberson). And both DE's (Robertson and Oliver). That's 8 of your starting 11.

This year, he had to replace 3 DL (Johnson Richard and Walker), 1 starting LB (Jackson), and 1 starting CB (JWD). That's 5 of your starting 11.

13 starters have been replaced over two years, and that doesn't even account for coping with injuries to Hall, Taylor, Reese, JWD, Bowen, Jefferson and now Anderson.

It's been a difficult transition, to be sure, and I think he needs another year. We lose only Morgan off this year's D, if we hold on to Burnett.

Next year really is the year for our D to step up. I do believe that the way our recruiting happened, this years' DL was forced to start a year too soon.

Wommack is not a bad DC, but we don't know how good he is either.

Last year he had to replace 3 LB's (Wheeler, Guyton and Bowen) and 3 DB's (Lewis, Jones, Roberson). And both DE's (Robertson and Oliver). That's 8 of your starting 11.

This year, he had to replace 3 DL (Johnson Richard and Walker), 1 starting LB (Jackson), and 1 starting CB (JWD). That's 5 of your starting 11.

13 starters have been replaced over two years, and that doesn't even account for coping with injuries to Hall, Taylor, Reese, JWD, Bowen, Jefferson and now Anderson.

It's been a difficult transition, to be sure, and I think he needs another year. We lose only Morgan off this year's D, if we hold on to Burnett.

Next year really is the year for our D to step up. I do believe that the way our recruiting happened, this years' DL was forced to start a year too soon.

Normally I would agree with you, but I just don't like his schemes. He keeps the DB's too far off the ball, and does far too little effective blitzing...

He needs to stop playing what is essentially a prevent defense and start out scheming offenses rather than relying on players to make plays.

Normally I would agree with you, but I just don't like his schemes. He keeps the DB's too far off the ball, and does far too little effective blitzing...

He needs to stop playing what is essentially a prevent defense and start out scheming offenses rather than relying on players to make plays.

You may well be dead on, we just don't have valid enough data to firmly establish that conclusion. It is tough to play at the highest levels with the kind of youngsters and inexperience he's had to put on the field. He has to get another year to verify some ability to improve.

No I'm not defending him based on ugag last year BOR. I was commenting how Jefferson was filling the gap on the goal line stand. I have actually used the ugag game last year to express concerns about him. I just think it's ignorant and comical how posters here claim something scheme wise is OBVIOUS and that's why we lost so the coach must be hanged, or they fail to see total physical domination on both LOS as the primary cause of the loss. Note I say primary, not only. I too have concerns about schemes and personality issues on D, but we aren't completely devoid of coaching knowledge and experience on D or we wouldn't be making what seem to be decent halftime adjustments.

Look, most of the CDW bashers here also point out how CPJ walks on water. Well, in that case, let HIM determine if it's so simple that a 10 year old could do it or if something as basic as blitz packages will do it. If it is, we will dominate Clemson on D. If we don't, well maybe, just maybe we have some physical limitations at the moment. A week not long enuf you say? Ok then, we'll surely shut down TCU with a month to prepare!?

I for one have confidence that if Paul sees some of the same things we see, he will definitely deal with it in the off season. If he doesn't make a change, then the rest of us should stop going off the deep end claiming the solutions are simple and obvious.

I for one have confidence that if Paul sees some of the same things we see, he will definitely deal with it in the off season. If he doesn't make a change, then the rest of us should stop going off the deep end claiming the solutions are simple and obvious.

Why are your panties so tight on this issue? No one is claiming there are simple solutions. What is obvious are our problems on defense which don't seem to get addressed. Most of these problems have to do with poor coaching and poor defensive alignments and plays. That much is obvious to me.

I don't know if there are simple solutions. the difficult solution is to fire the DC and go with someone else. Maybe it will get better, but we have two problems right now:
1.) We have a talent deficiency on both of our lines.
2.) We have a DC who doesn't seem to know how to coach assignment football.

#2 seems like it can be corrected immediately.

I guess posts like: "I can do better with The Little Mermaids Academy" or " 10 year olds know better", must have confused me into thinking a casual fan on a msg board was claiming simple solutions that an experienced staff can't see. Silly me.

Now you are claiming we have LOS issues and that it's difficult to fire a coach!? Sounds like MY replies to your and cajun's "fire the bum" posts.

But, we're good. Panties fit fine now :>)

Back