Were we bad or just outsmarted?

Well BOR, easy to say, but back it up. What would you do differently with little maids? C'mon, let's have the scheme.

cajun, not the personnel? ONE punt in four of the biggest games of the year? Again, as I posted in another thread, say we bring in a DC named GOD, how much better will our corners cover, our LBs tackle, and our DL not skate backwards? Not to worry, we'll have BOR's scheme in a moment that Wommack and Giff are unaware of.

Well for starters, I think I could teach a 10 year old which gap to hit on a given play without having her ask the starting linebacker what her assignment is. Second, after my defense got gashed up the middle the entire 1st half, I wouldn't blitz the outside edge with my linebackers.

You want me to give any other suggestions?

I've painfully reviewed the game. I have come to the conclusion that our D scheme is not the problem. Our guys are out of position numerous times. Our guys constantly take glaringly bad angles on numerous plays. This was the same thing I saw with our loss to Miami. The scheme to me is simplistic, our kids just aren't making good decisions after the ball is snapped.

So, UGA, as much as I hate to say this, outsmarted us.:wow:

A defense should be ready for both the pass and the run. And even if ours wasn't, they knew before the end of the first quarter the way it was going. The problem, IMHO, is overall talent (yes, we have a few good D-players, but only a few) and coaching. PJ will address the talent deficiency with another couple of recruiting classes; the coaching needs to be addressed as soon as this season is over.

Second, after my defense got gashed up the middle the entire 1st half, I wouldn't blitz the outside edge with my linebackers.

Even Tenuta wouldn't have done that. Wommack is bad. We need a new DC. Period.

I say we should all bombard the CPJ radio show this week with questions about Wommack's stupidity and how we should be looking for a new DC after the ACC-CG.

I've painfully reviewed the game. I have come to the conclusion that our D scheme is not the problem. Our guys are out of position numerous times. Our guys constantly take glaringly bad angles on numerous plays. This was the same thing I saw with our loss to Miami. The scheme to me is simplistic, our kids just aren't making good decisions after the ball is snapped.

THIS!

Jefferson takes himself out of the play almost constantly. Bottom line though is THIS IS COACHING. We have enough talent to do better than this.

cajun, not the personnel? ONE punt in four of the biggest games of the year? Again, as I posted in another thread, say we bring in a DC named GOD, how much better will our corners cover, our LBs tackle, and our DL not skate backwards? Not to worry, we'll have BOR's scheme in a moment that Wommack and Giff are unaware of.

It isn't the personnel. We had excellent personnel last year and Wommack couldn't do much with them. Wommack blows. He was blitzing against a running attack. That's assanine.

We had no cutback guy, that isn't a talent issue, that's a lack of coaching issue. Wommack should be on their ass if they aren't covering the cutback during practice.

It isn't the personnel. We had excellent personnel last year and Wommack couldn't do much with them. Wommack blows. He was blitzing against a running attack. That's assanine.

Yeah I'm totally confused on the whole blitzing deal from Saturday... Where was this when we REALLY needed it against teams dropping back to throw all over us?

Don't forget our corners continuing to not just bite on double moves, but take them out to a nice steak dinner, and then forget to call them back in the morning.

Yeah I'm totally confused on the whole blitzing deal from Saturday... Where was this when we REALLY needed it against teams dropping back to throw all over us?

It's almost like Wommack was on autopilot. He expected UGA to pass >50% of the plays, so he just started calling blitzes. Defending the freakin' iso is football 101. Anyone who played defense at one point in their life past the age of 10 knows the fundamentals of defending the iso. UGA iso-ed us up and down the football field.

One LB would take on the lead blocker, but the other LB and the safety would wait til the runner went at least 3 yards past the line until they made contact. We were not reading and reacting well at all. That's a lack of coaching.

THIS!

Jefferson takes himself out of the play almost constantly. Bottom line though is THIS IS COACHING. We have enough talent to do better than this.

Numerous names can inserted in here.

Are the kids not doing this during practice? Is someone not seeing this before game time? I find it hard to believe that we are a different team Monday through Friday and then change up come game day!

The kids are making simplistic mistakes and for some odd reason, we aren't working the bugs out during practice.

I say it is time for a change on the defensive side of the booth. Just how many is the question.

Whew, man I'm so glad this as simple as BOR's blitzing adjustment and cajun's 101 basics and 10 year old kid theory. Gawd, the relief for us all! Clearly based on this insight, Clemson won't cross midfield. The ACCCG is gonna be fun to watch!

So, CPJ, Wommack, and Giff all wiffed on these basics that you guys and any 10 year old understands? Plus they continued to wiff on it after halftime. Geesh, get real. Look, I actually think a change may be called for too, but if you can't see glaring personnel shortages here, then imo you have never played a down at any level. You can blitz or not, take the correct angles or not, and if the guy taking you on is 20-30 lbs. bigger and stronger, you are gonna get knocked on your arse, and your coach is going to get calls for his head.

We were just terrible on the Defensive Line not out smarted or out coached. A coach can only do so much with his game plan. If the line gets pushed off the ball 5 yards each play what in the world could Wommack do about that?

Even Tenuta wouldn't have done that. Wommack is bad. We need a new DC. Period.

I say we should all bombard the CPJ radio show this week with questions about Wommack's stupidity and how we should be looking for a new DC after the ACC-CG.

Tenuta did this a good bit actually. Did you watch the 2004 and 2006 Clemson games?

I don't think we need Tenuta back. I don't think we need to get rid of Wommack either. We need to recruit some big biscuit eaters for the O/L and D/L. We are undersized on both. Hang out at Burger King for awhile and recruit us some big boys is the thing that will help us out.

I know that they wanted to run the ball going into the game but I think they were planning to go for a 60-40 mix not 75-25. Also, I didn't see anything in their schemes that was creative or unique. That is why I don't think they outsmarted us as much as they just flat out outplayed us. We made their coaching jobs easy for them and never put them in a position to have to try to outsmart us. Their offensive staff definitely did a better job of preparing their team to execute than our defensive staff did. Execution usually beats creative schemes and gameplans.

+1, Totally agree

I have seen so many UGA games over the past few years that I felt like they could have run all day long on the opposing team Bobo and Richt over the years have always given in at some point at started throwing the ball only to have it cost them wins or easier wins. This is the first time I've seen them stick with the run for the whole game. They really wanted this one. It is as animated as I have ever seen CMR during a game.

Whew, man I'm so glad this as simple as BOR's blitzing adjustment and cajun's 101 basics and 10 year old kid theory. Gawd, the relief for us all! Clearly based on this insight, Clemson won't cross midfield. The ACCCG is gonna be fun to watch!

So, CPJ, Wommack, and Giff all wiffed on these basics that you guys and any 10 year old understands? Plus they continued to wiff on it after halftime. Geesh, get real. Look, I actually think a change may be called for too, but if you can't see glaring personnel shortages here, then imo you have never played a down at any level. You can blitz or not, take the correct angles or not, and if the guy taking you on is 20-30 lbs. bigger and stronger, you are gonna get knocked on your arse, and your coach is going to get calls for his head.

Man you're not listening. Which of our linebackers are NOT cut out to be playing D-1 football? Seriously? The talent is there, they just execute like ****. Our secondary is filled with serious talent, but all year long they've lined up off the receiver 7 yards and play 10 yard zone cushions.

Our Dline may not be the best, but they are serviceable. Hell we got a future NFLer at DE. Are the rest of them THAT sorry? We alowed a UGA team to rack up 240 yards rushing in one half and our adjustments after halftime were to blitz linebackers to the outside of the line?

If me as Mr. Casual fan can see the complete and total stupidity in our schemes ALL year, then why are you doubting that they don't exist? Is it because I'm a fan? I must not REALLY know the problems because otherwise I'd be a coach? I hate to break this alert to you, but Football is not a hard game to understand. It ain't rocket science.

That our problems somehow are more based on personnel because the DC couldn't possibly be this inept? Its not. Our personnel is better than allowing 9+ YPC from a 6-5 team. That much I am sure of.

Because TJ Barnes doesn't know where to go on a play is not the fault of the coach, that's the fault of the player? Wrong. Fault of the coach.

Do I have the answers that are going to fix our problems in time for Clemson... no. But I'm pretty damn sure that if I was the DC, I'd be working on pursuit of plays and understanding assignments. On Saturday, I'd play man coverage on the corners. I'd have Morgan Burnett spy Spillar the entire game. I'd run stunts across my dline and blitz a linebacker up the middle every other play. Its important that our Dline not play to Clemson's blocking schemes.

Needless to say, I'm fairly certain that Wommack is not doing his job very well.

Look at any replay on those runs, and you'll see LBs flowing right out of the play. There's a reason that cutback lanes were open for them all night. THERE WAS NO ONE THERE! If you can't come up with something resembling gap responsibility, then I don't know what else to say.

Sax, I hear ya. Who had Jefferson in position to make that play in your Failure picture? Looks a LOT like gap responsibility to me. I guess Wommack & Giff were sober last year and drunk Saturday? If it's as obvious and basic as some here believe, then it's equally OBVIOUS that CPJ will have corrected it and we will likely shut Clemson out, right!? I mean good grief, we have a week to see it, and it ain't rocket science!:>)

Back