Were we really that much better off?

Typically, I'd strongly disagree with you. I'm an optimist by nature, but I'm gonna agree with you (to an extent).

This game was lost by special teams. Two punt fumbles and a fake punt for a first down (which is effectively like a turnover for GT). If you notice, GTs offense didn't even have the ball much in the 2nd half due to the special teams turnovers.

Many aspects of GTs special teams are bad: kicking, punting, kick coverage, kick return, aand obviously the backup punt returner. I don't expect the back up to be a gamebreaker, but he must consistently be able to field the football. Two turnovers due to a no-name back-up fielding punts is inexcusable.

The defense played well tonight. I like Al Groh; in time he can get the most possible out of the talent he has. I'm sure of that.

Now I have to do something that I really don't want to do. I have to throw Paul on the carpet. Paul Johnson is my favorite collegiate coach. He's the only reason I even watch GT ball games. But his offensive planning has me confused. Since Washington has been the QB, he has not attempted to use multiple formations in order to give GT a formation advantage. This is simple football and forces teams to adjust on every play or face miss-matches simply by alignment. Using one formation all the time is unacceptable even if you have a backup QB in.

GT's passing game is horrendous. All the service academies (and I do mean all with no hyperbole) pass and catch the football better than GT. That must change.

Special teams needs an overhaul *or* it needs a lot more time devoted to it. There is major incompetence all over the place.

There. I was negative. I hated to do it, but the coaching staff and particularly Paul Johnson have to take the blame for the product that they put on the field tonight. Johnson needs to take a hard look in the mirror this offseason and ask himself if he has really given this team the true attention to detail it deserves.

good comments
the product he is now putting out will not cut it
and without A Allen (and probably Hill), don't think of much improvement

I still like CPJ but must admit the bloom is somewhat "off the rose" for me. The punt returner sub lost the game...why he was even in there after the first fumble boggles my mind. Johnson's stubborness about not having any passing game bothers me.

So far as Gailey is concerned my problem with him was never replacing Reggie Ball. The performance against Wake by Ball was awful and cost the ACC Champ game.

I hope CPJ can right the ship but this boat has taken on a lot of foul water this season. I support CPJ but I must admit I am not much more optimistic about the future of GT footbal than I am about GT basketball.

Right now, we just need a change at ST coaching. Maybe we just haven't focused enough on that phase or maybe we need to get rid of Kelly. The other two phases have done alright tonight.

This. ST killed us all year. Is it really that hard to (1) find someone that can CATCH THE FRIGGIN BALL, and (2) make an open field tackle?

The backup punt returner was in because Tarrant was hurt. And it essentially cost us the game. We were in position to take over the game, even after the long drive / fumble.

That being said, we MUST improve our special teams there are many teams that win a lot of games with great special teams, great defense, and a mediocre / opportunistic offense.

What does it take to be at least good in all three phases of the game?

Let's remember we lost 4 key players after last year, plus we lost our QB/senior leader in the middle of our season. Yes, we have a lot more to do between now and next year, but we are definitely on the rise. It was just a year ago that we won our conference and 11 games. 2012 will, in my opinion, be the year of judgement for CPJ.

I'm not ready for CPJ to hit the road (though, I have a feeling that something is going to happen this offseason ... as in, he packs it in himself out of frustration), but this team has been the most uninspired team I've seen in a while. At least with Chan's team I could see that they wanted to win every game. This team got pumped for the VT game and the UGAg game. That was it. And then all of the facebook/twitter **** with players bitching, in-fighting. I don't know how CPJ fixes that, but he better find a way before next season.
It just may be that these players left over from Gailey arent used to discipline, he had the pro mentality with players. Also, CPJ is using discipline from the Naval Academy that doesnt work on the type of athletes we have. I think CPJ is an exceptional coach, if he doesnt win at least 8 games next season he will resign.

In my opinion CPJ deserves this criticism. GT shouldn't lose to a service academy. No matter who is out. We could have easily won this game

Name me a coach who could have won with 4 turnovers in the second half.

yeah beating ugag and winning the ACC was a lateral move..

With a stable of studs, who's to say Chan wouldn't have won last year with that squad? CPJ didn't do **** without them.

He's got one more season with me until he's in CPH territory, you can't have a losing season in football with our patty cake schedule. ****s pathetic.

I like Johnson, but at this point, I think it looks like a lateral move.

I think Gailey was a better coach than many gave him credit for, and it seems not much has changed, at least the bottom line.

wtf? is this thread a joke? with the amount of NFL talent trotting around the flats while Gailey was here, his performance was an insult to the words "Head Coach".. he is a good assistant though.

wtf? is this thread a joke? with the amount of NFL talent trotting around the flats while Gailey was here, his performance was an insult to the words "Head Coach".. he is a good assistant though.

But, there was NFL talent around here then. Now, not so much.

I don't dislike Johnson in any way but I only casually tracked Tech this year because there are simply much better football teams to follow.

You live in Atlanta and post on a GT football forum within 2 hours of a bowl loss, but only casually followed Georgia Tech this year? Coming off our first out right conference championship in 20 years?

With a stable of studs, who's to say Chan wouldn't have won last year with that squad? CPJ didn't do **** without them.

He's got one more season with me until he's in CPH territory, you can't have a losing season in football with our patty cake schedule. ****s pathetic.

Chan had one of the greatest college WR's in history, as well as a very solid RB in Choice, and couldn't beat uga, or win the ACC. He also didn't think enough of Dwyer as a freshman to play him over Evans while Choice was injured. Finally, with the way Reggie developed, what evidence do we have that Nesbitt would have developed into a good QB in Chan's system?

Everyone needs to chill the **** out. CPJ had one down year. A year in which we were competitive, did not quit, and had our senior QB go down in an offense that thrives on good QB play. If we cannot rebound from such a season, if we are reduced to 7-win seasons each year, then we can say he's reached CPH status, but that statement cannot be made for at least another one to two season. I see no reason why we can't rebound next season, and pick up at least 8 wins (we get our favorable home schedule next year)

Chan had one of the greatest college WR's in history, as well as a very solid RB in Choice, and couldn't beat uga, or win the ACC. He also didn't think enough of Dwyer as a freshman to play him over Evans while Choice was injured. Finally, with the way Reggie developed, what evidence do we have that Nesbitt would have developed into a good QB in Chan's system?

Everyone needs to chill the **** out. CPJ had one down year. A year in which we were competitive, did not quit, and had our senior QB go down in an offense that thrives on good QB play. If we cannot rebound from such a season, if we are reduced to 7-win seasons each year, then we can say he's reached CPH status, but that statement cannot be made for at least another one to two season. I see no reason why we can't rebound next season, and pick up at least 8 wins (we get our favorable home schedule next year)

Harrumpgh

I love how everyone makes this big deal about being UGA... yes we beat em, but one could argue that we finally got the breaks we needed to win. We would have wound up beating them at some point because every game was close.

It was 45-42 not some blowout. UGA still owns us and that hasn't changed.

I know Chan wasn't the greatest coach and I do not miss him as a coach. I do miss his recruiting and this new offense is KILLING us in recruiting.

I can't imagine how some of you would have felt if PJ didn't have 9 and 11 win seasons right off the bat. There were a lot of wins we had those first two seasons that could have gone either way and this year not so many things bounced our way, we also had to deal with the loss of 4 talented players and a new defensive scheme. It's year 3 chill.

Finally, with the way Reggie developed, what evidence do we have that Nesbitt would have developed into a good QB in Chan's system?

I don't know, but I do know that Tevin constantly reminds me of Reggie when he drops back - and the game ending ints aren't helping matters any.

The honeymoon period is about one year over, but I'm not at all ready to equate CPJ to Chan Gailey. Next year is a referendum on CPJ in my opinion. Another 6-6 or 7-5 season and I agree it feels like a lateral move.

Name me a coach who could have won with 4 turnovers in the second half.

The one who puts out a team that doesn't turn the ball over four times in one half?

Back