Were we really that much better off?

We were just not a very good football team this year. PJ has to accept responsibility for that. If he gets credit for the first 2 years he also gets credit for this year. The thing I think is different about PJ is that he dispises losing. Like Urban Myer he will not last long if he is unable to get things turned around. I personally like having that kind of Coach because I feel that he will do everything within his power to get things going in the right direction. If he does not produce, I predict he will leave on his on volition and it want take someone firing him.

Hopefully our returning players have enough pride to make sure they improve and play better in 2011.

Go Jackets!

You have to give any coach 4-5 years to see how good he is once he gets his players in. Hell we were using a makeshift line with 3 upper classmen on it only one of whom was recruited to be at that position. Let him get his players in and then we'll see how good he is.

This.

I will agree that there perhaps a schism emerged on this team with Gailey's old players. When Coop left, it raised my eyebrows. If you think about it, it all has changed for them now. The offensive players got it first, then this year the D got it with the 3-4. Too much change. Too many guys getting moved aside. Bad feelings arise.

FWIW, this happened also with Ross and Curry's players.

The one who puts out a team that doesn't turn the ball over four times in one half?

Gosh darnit, I sure do hate Paul Johnson for calling the "muff the punt" play two times in a row. He should have realized that the "muff the punt" play wasn't going to work after the first muffed punt..

..?

CPJ wants an effective passing game as much as any of us. But when you have two QBs that can't throw (Nesbitt, strong arm but inaccurate and Washington, slightly more accurate with a weak as hell arm) and WRs that can't catch then you have to do what you do best to give yourself a shot at winning.

The lack of a prolific passing game was not the casue of a bad year. It was the lack of overall execution on offense in crucial situations (dropped passes, fumbles, and penalties will hurt any team) and bad special teams play that made this a bad year.

Some of those looks were pretty good.
Agreed,AF put a lot of pressure on the defense with multiple sets etc.They are not as good as we are but they won the game so I guess they are as good as we are !!

If we didn't put the damn ball on the ground so damn much, we wouldn't be talking about the damn passing game. :banghead:

I felt like we beat ourselves again last night. Air Force played well on defense but we really did not block the plays well enough to create a seperation on the scoreboard. We were left once again to play it close to the vest and hope we did not screw up. When we fumbled the ball inside the 5yard line after 8 and half minutes of possession, it took a lot of gas out of the team. We stopped them so we could regain good field position and then fumbled away that opportunity on a mishandled (being kind with that description) punt return. Then we sealed our fate by once again giving AF a short field via yet another mishandled punt return, to take the lead.

I don't think AF had better players than we did. They just did not make the mistakes we made. This GT team had the potential and the talent to have a very good record but they lacked the confidence to either make a play or avoid a mistake when it was crunch time. You can replay every loss this year, Kansas, NC State, Clemson, Virginia Tech, Miami, Georgia and Air Force and we had a chance to win every one of them but hurt ourselves with penalties, turnovers and missed plays on offense and defense. We were close to being a very good team but close only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades.

We are not that far from being a really good team but when crunch time came we just folded rather than stepping up and getting it done.

Next year we hopefully take a lesson from this year and find the grit to get over the hump when the opportuity presents itself. That is really what seperates winners from losers both in football and in life.

Go Jackets!

I like Johnson, but at this point, I think it looks like a lateral move.

I think Gailey was a better coach than many gave him credit for, and it seems not much has changed, at least the bottom line.

I miss Gailey's NFL players. I don't miss Reggie Ball. The ACC the last 3 years has been as bad as it's ever been, with F$U, the U(rinal) and even VT all in the crapper. Gailey would have picked up an ACC title as well. Anything recognized as success by CPJ has happened with Gailey's recruits. The slate is pretty much all CPJs starting next year, we'll see if the cock worship continues.

Chan had one of the greatest college WR's in history, as well as a very solid RB in Choice, and couldn't beat uga, or win the ACC. He also didn't think enough of Dwyer as a freshman to play him over Evans while Choice was injured. Finally, with the way Reggie developed, what evidence do we have that Nesbitt would have developed into a good QB in Chan's system?

Everyone needs to chill the **** out. CPJ had one down year. A year in which we were competitive, did not quit, and had our senior QB go down in an offense that thrives on good QB play. If we cannot rebound from such a season, if we are reduced to 7-win seasons each year, then we can say he's reached CPH status, but that statement cannot be made for at least another one to two season. I see no reason why we can't rebound next season, and pick up at least 8 wins (we get our favorable home schedule next year)

Dwyer played over Evans

You live in Atlanta and post on a GT football forum within 2 hours of a bowl loss, but only casually followed Georgia Tech this year? Coming off our first out right conference championship in 20 years?

A bit touchy given the season huh? Players that really are not that good, players that can't even remain academically eligible, extremely bad ST play, etc..... and it's always the fans fault. CPJ fundamentally knows what he needs to do in order to keep the paying fans interested. I suppose it's OK for all the students that get free tickets to jump all over other fans for not supporting the team, although a little rank amateur in my opinion. However, alums and paying fans expect more out of a coach and team that just came off of our first out right conference championship in 20 years. Stop blaming the fans for the failures of the coaches and players. This was simply not a good team this year and not worth really following. Guess the real facts hurt, huh?

If someone only casually followed GT this year and there are so many other (better) college football teams to follow, why in hell are you posting on GT message board within 60 minutes of our bowl loss?

Walmart is ready and open for your business.

I miss Gailey's NFL players. I don't miss Reggie Ball. The ACC the last 3 years has been as bad as it's ever been, with F$U, the U(rinal) and even VT all in the crapper. Gailey would have picked up an ACC title as well. Anything recognized as success by CPJ has happened with Gailey's recruits. The slate is pretty much all CPJs starting next year, we'll see if the cock worship continues.

+1

Look we can play this game all day, but the ACC has been going downhill the past 3 years and Gailey would have eventually beat UGA anyway.

Hell this was UGA's worst team in years and we blew it!

At least when you're putting guys in the NFL you can sell that to recruits. I don't know what to expect for next year but I'm tired of hearing the talent excuse. PJ has had time to bring in his guys and next yr he will have to show me something.

Wasn't that one of cpj recruits who drop the two punts , why not but Rody Jones in he has return punts before. I forgot he's one of Gailey's recruits....

haha. Did you watch the ACCC against Wake? The best WR in school history, an NFL RB, and you cant score a TD against Wake. I would bet Chan would go 7-5 with 3 losses to UGA, just like every year but 2006.
But hey, you can just make up anything and declare it as fact.
You're full of ****. Stay in the basketball forum.
+1

Look we can play this game all day, but the ACC has been going downhill the past 3 years and Gailey would have eventually beat UGA anyway.
Why would he eventually beat UGA? Because he was "due"? More horse****.

Wasn't that one of cpj recruits who drop the two punts , why not but Rody Jones in he has return punts before. I forgot he's one of Gailey's recruits....
Wasn't it Gailey's recruits that were getting skull ****ed on defense all year? Wasn't it Gailey's kicker recruit who missed the XP during the Georgia game? Wasn't it Gailey's WR that dropped a probable game-tying TD pass?
We can play this game all night long, but you're retarted, so I won't.

Simple fact.... it's going to be literally impossible for CPJ to generate any excitement or support for his teams with seasons like this. I don't dislike Johnson in any way but I only casually tracked Tech this year because there are simply much better football teams to follow. The program and players are so underachievingly bland/mediocre that it's really not worth getting worked up over their failures. After the Gailey years I had much higher hopes for Johnson. I see that not much has changed down on North Avenue. Oh well... better Bowl Games to come.

WTF? But hey, thanks for posting. Now, go follow some other team.

Who the **** are these people. Thanks for your contributions now GTFO.

Back