Wes Durham at it again

MACHETE

Dodd-Like
"Outside of the service academies, GT is toughest head coaching job in football". Give me an f'ing break, this is unhelpful and untrue.

"Outside of the service academies, GT is toughest head coaching job in football". Give me an f'ing break, this is unhelpful and untrue.

Give us some examples of why it is untrue.

I also heard yesterday that our annual budget for football is $17M which makes us 61st out of 65 P5 schools.

Ok dude. If you want to align yourself with the mentality that we are equivalent to the service academies then don't ever expect great things from GT football. Time to change the paradigm.

Who said we were equivalent to the service academies??

Ok dude. If you want to align yourself with the mentality that we are equivalent to the service academies then don't ever expect great things from GT football. Time to change the paradigm.

Sometimes the truth hurts. I agree whole heartedly with Todd that we can compete for the playoffs given where we’ve been with Paul. But that doesn’t make Wes wrong. It means that it takes extreme effort to get there for us.

I'm not one to let fake calculus explain COFH losses. But I'm curious what you think is the toughest coaching job outside the service academies?

Even if he's not wrong, I don't really see the value in making these assertions when we're in the midst of a coaching search. Just seems tantamount to saying "If you're considering the Tech job, you should know that it's not well-suited for winning."

At some point these things become a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Give us some examples of why it is untrue.

I also heard yesterday that our annual budget for football is $17M which makes us 61st out of 65 P5 schools.

Georgia's budget was 143,000,000.00 and Bama's is 183,000,000.00

I'm not one to let fake calculus explain COFH losses. But I'm curious what you think is the toughest coaching job outside the service academies?
Tech is tougher due to schedules. GT Prez said correctly in the 60s as we withdrew from the sec that NOBODY is attempting to do what Tech is in major college football---this is waaay more true now than it was then.

Even if he's not wrong, I don't really see the value in making these assertions when we're in the midst of a coaching search. Just seems tantamount to saying "If you're considering the Tech job, you should know that it's not well-suited for winning."

This. It doesn't matter if it's true or not, it could make some coaches decide not to accept an offer. Even if the coach already knows if it is true and even if it is cause we told him, it doesn't mean we want every person around him (family, friends, colleagues) to also believe it.

Self fulfilling prophecy to me implies that there are no real impediments to success at Tech and this is just in our heads. I patently disagree with comparing the Institute 1 to 1 with any other University that plays FBS.

And I think you have to make it clear to the jackasses on local sports radio that we don’t play on a level field with the other regional powers. It’s a fact. They tend to gloss of over it with the Duke/Stanford BS and then just lay it at the feet of ‘well, Tech just sucks. They don’t have any impediments to being good, can’t be THAT hard to recruit to, they just suck’

Also, anyone considering the job who doesn’t understand this is a very difficult place to win, especially in the modern era which I will bound at 2004 for the sake of APR, is going to be in for a rude surprise. Kinda like taking a welding job and in your first day they put you in a helicopter and fly you out to an oil rig, put you in a wetsuit and tell you to go lay a bead in 5k feet of water.

Back