Wes Durham at it again

Wes isn't saying anything that GOL didn't say...

Our former radio guy emphasizing the difficulty of the position when we're the hottest job on the market vs. a sitting coach defending his results. Definitely the same thing.

was there more gold to be mined there?
I remember an interview with Curry where he said something like he was hired as HC of GT making in the $40K range per year. He became HC of Alabama making in the $350k per year range.

Our former radio guy emphasizing the difficulty of the position when we're the hottest job on the market vs. a sitting coach defending his results. Definitely the same thing.

opinions... I wouldn't want a coach intimidated by them...

Some of it is about defining the program as we (the stakeholders - alumni and fans) would like to see it. For God's sake, let's not handicap ourselves. Sure there are issues at Tech which we have all talked about too many times. Those are surmountable. But, guys, it is up to us to define the program we want. Wes is putting perpetuating and in fact, worsening, an image of GT that is simply that, an image.
It seems to me that for whatever reason, you have taken personal offense to what Wes has said. Like many others have already mentioned, these things are not a secret. Also, I can guarantee you every single potential head coach candidate out there knows the difficulties that would come with coaching at Tech. Wes saying that doesn't handicap us any more than we already are. His words do not effect the program nor do they influence it. He has basically stated nothing more than re-iterating that Tech is one of the hardest coaching jobs there is out there, and that is not untrue. Ours is a difficult job because we expect success at a higher level than most other schools that would fall in the category as us as far as academics are concerned. If we didn't expect more, it wouldn't be difficult. I'm fine with it being this way and I think most others are too.

In this case, yes

I had an impressive streak of likes going but you ruined it with that bigcry.

giphy.gif

Texas and Florida appear to be tough places for a coach, given how often they churn through them.

Conversely, We gave our HC an extension after a losing season. Tech fans ask much less of their HC and football program than do many other schools.

I guess the question is "What do you mean by 'toughest'? "

If it's W-L, we're not the toughest.
If it's Having-To-Recruit-Well, we're not the toughest.
If it's Pressure-from-fanbase, we're not the toughest.

If it's "A challenge to get qualified athletes to win at a high level" then maybe we are but, at least based on recent history, coaches aren't being fired here for NOT doing that.

Tech coaches are at cherokee towne and CC

Both chan and paul are/were. Paul eats at the towne club relatively often

I'm guessing that if Chan wants the pepper shaker he just reaches over and grabs it since there's no point asking Paul to pass it.

Chan is gone. They get a membership as part of their contract. So. Paul is now gone too but he is an avid golfer and will re-up personally if he already hasnt.

"Outside of the service academies, GT is toughest head coaching job in football". Give me an f'ing break, this is unhelpful and untrue.

Paul said at Lunch Bunch about 8 years ago that GT was harder than Navy because of the relative difficulty of the rivals and the level of expectations.

Chan is gone. They get a membership as part of their contract. So. Paul is now gone too but he is an avid golfer and will re-up personally if he already hasnt.
He should head up to Barnsley to play

Who was the Tech coach that said (paraphrasing) - GT wants to be Bama on Saturday but then MIT the rest of the week. GOL?

This thread reminds me of this.

Back