Wes Durham is Leaving Tech Radio

It will be funny when he calls Tech games. I bet he will slip up a couple times and revert to his GT play-by-play days by getting real excited when we do something good.

Also, I would like to point out that while Doc Walker might not be taking Wes's old job, Wes is taking Doc Walker's old job.

Al was passionate but there were some interesting calls and moments.
To wit:

"Dewberry back to pass. He's got time. Pressure!"
"Big Booba Bubby Hodge" instead of Big Bubba Bobby Hodge, from Vidalia, I believe.
"Dewberry ... dip ... dup ... dep ... incomplete."
And my favorite: "The center, a 6-10 junior from Haiti, Georgia, Yvon Joseph." That one prompted me to call my next door neighbor, also a Tech fan, and ask him if he was listening to Ciraldo and did he hear what I just heard, that Joseph was from Haiti, Georgia.

But I'd take Al any day over Munson or Scott whatever his name is.

Then there was this old classic...

Al Ciraldo:
Biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig John Davis up over that football...
Jackets on their own 27
Dewberry back to pass...
looking... LOOKING... THROWING...
The MAN IS THERE!!!
Caught by Lee at the 50!!...
he's at the 40
Lee at the 35
he's at the 30
Lee at the 25...
FUMBLE!!!!
INTERCEPTED!!!
Georgia recovers the football and runs it in for the score
FIRST DOWN JACKETS!
Tech ball on its own 37.

Then Kim King would step in and clean up the mess:

No, Al.
Dewberry's pass to Lee was intercepted at mid-field and Lee chased after the Georgia player and popped the ball loose back at the Tech 25. The ball bounced off a helmet and into the arms of a Georgia player who ran it into the endzone but an official called Georgia for illegal use of hands so they brought the ball back and assessed the penalty. Tech ball on its own 37.

I wonder if he's really looking forward to that UMd/FIU game or he just lied.
No kidding. I admit to knowing nothing about the business but calling games for a regional Fox Sports seems to be a lateral move at best.

No kidding. I admit to knowing nothing about the business but calling games for a regional Fox Sports seems to be a lateral move at best.
It puts him in a position for much bigger assignments down the road. Lateral yes, but with substantially more upside potential.

A lateral move from radio to TV. That's the difference.

Not to mention that he has a bigger footprint. I don't think our games get much play outside the state of Georgia.

Sports South adds Bama, Kentucky, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee.

Maybe he wants to help them take on ESPN. ESPN. The Monopoly Guys.

I still can't believe there is nothing out there to compete with College Gameday. I mean. Sh*t.

This. There is pretty much nowhere to go but up from Sports South.

Honestly, I think the only thing holding Wes back is his weight. The tv cameras won't do any favors. Even then Wes will be a ESPN primetime play by play guy before long (if Nessler moves on). I think that would be a great fit for him. Also, hearing Ugaggers talk about how much they wanted Wes over their current guy will be missed.

Last edited:
Then there was this old classic...

Al Ciraldo:
Biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig John Davis up over that football...
Jackets on their own 27
Dewberry back to pass...
looking... LOOKING... THROWING...
The MAN IS THERE!!!
Caught by Lee at the 50!!...
he's at the 40
Lee at the 35
he's at the 30
Lee at the 25...
FUMBLE!!!!
INTERCEPTED!!!
Georgia recovers the football and runs it in for the score
FIRST DOWN JACKETS!
Tech ball on its own 37.

Then Kim King would step in and clean up the mess:

No, Al.
Dewberry's pass to Lee was intercepted at mid-field and Lee chased after the Georgia player and popped the ball loose back at the Tech 25. The ball bounced off a helmet and into the arms of a Georgia player who ran it into the endzone but an official called Georgia for illegal use of hands so they brought the ball back and assessed the penalty. Tech ball on its own 37.
Now THAT is the best representation of everything I loved about listening to Al call a game on radio. The game in his mind was so much more interesting than what actually was happening on the field.

Al and Kim were the best combo ever.

Wes was good, but his level of detail is much suited for TV and not as much radio. Down and distance and direction of the play are all visually obvious on a TV call but not on radio, where you have to paint the picture into the listeners' imagination. I think he'll be a star on TV calls.

It about the exposure. Our GT job is crap and the number of listeners to GT athletics pales to the exposure of calling a crappy game such as FIU vs. Maryland

It's sad but true, GT has about 50,000 fans who give a rats ass about the athletic program.

It about the exposure. Our GT job is crap and the number of listeners to GT athletics pales to the exposure of calling a crappy game such as FIU vs. Maryland

It's sad but true, GT has about 50,000 fans who give a rats ass about the athletic program.

Jim, is that you?

Back