What are your thoughts on the RR post?

As someone who can't attend practices, I like any updates I can get. However, I understand why some things probably shouldn't be posted. I guess those that are fortunate enough to attend practice just need to use good judgment and self-censor themselves on some things.

But, please keep the updates coming, if you have them.

Who in hell do you think you are?
a Tech grad/fan for the last 20 years, Hiver for 6 years

You use your ONE AND ONLY post to come on this site and trash the members.
I prefer to lurk, but then I read your post trashing RR with your clueless/false accusation about him being under Hollis's thumb....

It appears to me that ALL the members on this site care about the player, coaches, and the program or they would not be here.
then why do you want to read about player injuries on a message board when this hurts the players, coaches and the program?
You need to keep letting HOLLIS do your thinking for you.

Do you think there is something out there that opposing coaches do not know?
Yes. For example, lets say Nat is held out of practice because of a sore foot, it is not reported by Hollis but is on Stingtalk. A Vandy GA reads this info, the Vandy DL coach instructs his players to step on Nat's left foot.

When you make a statement like that it show where your head is.
I support the GT coaches and the flow of information that they deem acceptable

I am sure that Bobby Bowden is picking up the AJC to find out what is going on at GT.
Do you believe that?
an FSU Grad Assistant coach is keeping tabs on all their opponents roster/injury info reported in the press, I believe it.

Dont waste your time coming over here and trashing the members it will not be well received.
Then stop supporting activities detrimental to the Georgia Tech football program, and stop trashing RR.

Thought I'd just chime in on this as well. I think RR has a point about injuries not being reported on the board unless they are already collaborated somewhere else. Injuries are a part of the game and most of the time they are no big deal and a player will just be held out of full practice for a day or two.

I wish that we didn't have to get into a pissing contest between StingTalk and the Hive. Both boards are here to provide entertainment and info for people who care about Tech. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

I like Master B and GTT's reports they give you a feel for what's going on at practice without giving out a lot of concrete info.

just my $0.02

Originally posted by bellyseries:
However, I disagree with you (and several others) on one point. As the father of seven, mine and steps- who are just like mine- if one of my kids gets hurt, I want to know about it NOW. I don't care if it's by phone, a cop at the door, over the net, on a message board, carrier pigeon or what , I want to know about it ASAP.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">While I can understand your point of view, how
does this scenario sound?

JacketJoe attends the first half of practice and
returns to dorm room. While he was down there he
saw your son, GT's starting MLB, suffer some sort
of horrible elbow dislocation. He's not sure but
he's pretty certain its bad and he rushed back to
his dorm to be the first to post the information
about this injury to a star GT player. You get
home from the office and check the boards, knowing
that GT practice is in progress here in Atlanta
and you read JacketJoe's post about your son most
likely suffering an injury and the resulting talk
about how it might be season or career threatening
or etc.

So...You pick up the phone in a panic and start
calling GT, but the coaches are all on the field
and the trainers are all working on your son. So
none of them are available or have reliable info
quite yet. You're in a panic, WTF is going on,
who can tell you what happened, did he really get
hurt, was it someone else's kid, etc, etc ,etc...

So you see...let GT channels distribute this info
to family members once they have the scoop and it
has been confirmed...

Just my opinion, of course.

Originally posted by Beeski:
Who in hell do you think you are?
a Tech grad/fan for the last 20 years, Hiver for 6 years

You use your ONE AND ONLY post to come on this site and trash the members.
I prefer to lurk, but then I read your post trashing RR with your clueless/false accusation about him being under Hollis's thumb....

It appears to me that ALL the members on this site care about the player, coaches, and the program or they would not be here.
then why do you want to read about player injuries on a message board when this hurts the players, coaches and the program?
You need to keep letting HOLLIS do your thinking for you.

Do you think there is something out there that opposing coaches do not know?
Yes. For example, lets say Nat is held out of practice because of a sore foot, it is not reported by Hollis but is on Stingtalk. A Vandy GA reads this info, the Vandy DL coach instructs his players to step on Nat's left foot.

When you make a statement like that it show where your head is.
I support the GT coaches and the flow of information that they deem acceptable

I am sure that Bobby Bowden is picking up the AJC to find out what is going on at GT.
Do you believe that?
an FSU Grad Assistant coach is keeping tabs on all their opponents roster/injury info reported in the press, I believe it.

Dont waste your time coming over here and trashing the members it will not be well received.
Then stop supporting activities detrimental to the Georgia Tech football program, and stop trashing RR.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">All that's fine, Beeski. But in your original post, you came off like a jerk. You seem to show a dislike of Stingtalk. If you don't like us or views that don't match yours, then leave.

My thoughts on the post:

I have heard from a very reliable source that the GT coaching staff doesn't want injury information delivered through the Hive. There are many reasons for this, most of which have been touched on here, including sensitivity to parents, limiting opponents' information, etc.

Specifically on injuries, I think it is a very bad idea to report them. Our observers are not doctors, and are not qualified to determine how severe an injury is. If I were a parent, I'd freak if I read that my son hurt his knee and it looked bad, only to find out it was a mild sprain. Discretion is the better part of valor here.

RR obviously heard something similar, and decided to make his post before someone "ruins it for everybody". By that, I mean that if people post too much information on what they see at open practices, practices will be closed, and you will hear nothing about them.

Is that what eveyone would prefer?

bugboy - sorry to come off as an SOB, but I was absolutely PO'd by the tone of some of the posters here. I don't dislike 95% of StingTalk, but when fonts start advocating posting stuff that is detrimental to GT and its football program, I wanted to make my case loud and clear.

Now, lets get back to the 2-deep, stadium talk, Vandy's strengths and weaknesses and practice reports (wonderfully reported by GTT and MasterB).

Originally posted by bellyseries:
What is Chan's, or the GTAA's, official position on these matters and where is it stated?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I don't see where an official position is relevant or necessary. What such "official positions" usually do is restrict freedom while attempting to provide a substitute for common sense.

Perhaps I'm naive, but I prefer to think that mature adults can act responsibly and tactfully without official instructions.

It's pretty obvious that if an official position DOES become necessary, the result will be much more restricted and/or closed practices.

Coach Gailey seems to be encouraging practice attendance by fans much more than Coach O'Leary did. There are even little portable bleachers at RBF for fans, and those were not there the last few years.

I think the current open attitude towards practice attendance is great for the program. I did a head count, and there were about 60 people watching practice yesterday afternoon. I couldn't believe it. I never saw over 20-25 people at an O'Leary practice, and even that many was very rare.

I suspect for weekend scrimmages we could have over 100 at practice.

You've got to think it's a nice lift for VERY hard-working football players to see those people up there watching them and know that we care. It's a great way for the fans to get more involved with the program. It's a win-win for everyone.

I would hate to see it ruined.

I just want to be clear -- so nobody accuses me of selfishly NOT respecting the team or the players or the parents or Elvis -- that DISGRESSION is always the best policy.

The wishes of the practice host (ie, Chan Gailey) should be followed.

Anything that is said should always be with tact and caution. Nobody is suggesting telling all!

I see no problem suggesting (or hinting) at some things that don't or won't make it to the paper. That is already happening!

I thank and encourage the reporters to continue their excellent reporting. Don't be badgered by either side of this argument.

Originally posted by GoldenTornado:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by bellyseries:
What is Chan's, or the GTAA's, official position on these matters and where is it stated?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I don't see where an official position is relevant or necessary. What such "official positions" usually do is restrict freedom while attempting to provide a substitute for common sense.

Perhaps I'm naive, but I prefer to think that mature adults can act responsibly and tactfully without official instructions.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I agree with you. Let me change the question to simply "What is Chan's position on these matters?", if that helps. Everyone is talking about what he wants as if they just shared a bagel. How do we know what he wants? Are we simply making good faith assumptions? Or has he said?

JOJATK, welcome! Another one of my favorite posters from the Hive.

Have moved recently and am using my daughters computer at present. I have no Email nor ISP provider at present for my own computer.

bigthumbup.gif

Someday we're gonna do a survey and find out who has been a Tech fan the longest, started GT the earliest, etc, just to establish an informal and probably totally worthless hierarchy here.

With all due respect to 'Chan's House' our taxes, ticket purchases, and contributions built it and maintain it! That does not give us carte blanche to wander in and out of practices, post possibly erroneous info on injuries, etc, and in any way/shape/form or manner cause undue grief or anxiety to any one. Tech Men have always, and hopefully always will be, held to a higher standard in their thoughts, actions and speech because of the nature of their education and professions, their intellect and the quality of their soul.

We're talking about a college football program that we all want to be succesful, not on deciding who goes on a patrol where they may be killed or maimed. Closed practices seem to be an exercise in futility once games get played and put on tape to be passed around, IMHO.

Selah!
drinking.gif

bugboy - sorry to come off as an SOB, but I was absolutely PO'd by the tone of some of the posters here. I don't dislike 95% of StingTalk, but when fonts start advocating posting stuff that is detrimental to GT and its football program, I wanted to make my case loud and clear.

Now, lets get back to the 2-deep, stadium talk, Vandy's strengths and weaknesses and practice reports (wonderfully reported by GTT and MasterB).
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">No problem. Let's just remember that not all Jackets see everything the same...except our fervent belief and hope in winning the next one.

Originally posted by beeware:
[QB]RR is just being silly as usual...part of his control freak nature. Stingtalk would do well to NOT follow RR on this or anything else.
[QB]
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Right on, brother!!!!
bigthumbup.gif

RR actually cares about GT and our football program, unlike the brilliant minds on this board. Learn some respect for our players, parents and the program.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Boy, RR must have sent you over here to try to do some face saving. IMHO, RR is a major league jerk and so are you for your "brilliant minds" reference.
thefinger.gif

Guys this is what bothers me more than anything on a public board and that is an aristocratic self perception and an attitude of nobody knows a damn thing but me and my buddies. Beeski came on this site with an in your face-get out of my way
before I tell you what I really think about you lowly bastards. This is what gives me the heartburn. It never bothers me for someone to take opposite views
as long as it makes any sense at all. We had JOJATK make a post and he made the same point as Beeski but his thoughts were measured and presented in a way to command respectfrom the rest of us. I appreciated his post although I didn't agree with all his points but he is obviously a wise fellow. It bothers me when someone comes on and stiff arms everybody and creates the impression that nobody knows anything but him.I'm
going to stop before I too say some things that I regret.

Big Buck, sorry you don't like my style, but when I start to read some normally logical fonts start calling for opening our practices to all of our opponents(and getting MasterB, GTTerrific, Axe, etc. kicked out in the processs)....I decided to go with the sledgehammer approach. Not subtle, but it got the point across.

ramblinwise1 - the "brilliant minds" was meant just for you....what a moron.

WOW... never thought my little post would have started all of this... or I guess I should say RR's post ....

Beeski... are we a little full of ourselves? Go up much higher on your pedestal and you are going to get nosebleeds... and why is it again that you decided not to coach football?? Hope you dont mind my style..

wow we really play well with others dont we.
wink.gif
lets see if everyone had the same opinion boy this place would sure be boring. having said that also having an opinion dont make yours right. so all in all the way i see it if it gets printed in the so called "legitimate sports pages" aka the ajc. then feel free to post it or chat about it. I mean everyone here supports GT athletics and other events from GT but why have a cow about something out of our control. In the end all the revalant info will come out and by then it will be one hundred percent correct. so then there wont be any misunderstandings.
bsmeter.gif

ramblinwise1 - the "brilliant minds" was meant just for you.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Actually, I only have one mind, arrogant1. You stepped in it, now deal with it.

Back