What has our President done?

They don’t have the kind of f you money we need.
I think you need to make it specific like for O-linemen.
“When Ga Techs O linemen aren’t de-cleating North Carolina Line Backers, they enjoy a classic Waffle House All Star Special. With a genuine butter milk waffle. After all they save all their pancakes for the football field.”

I listened to a former rival coach speak at an event last night about NIL. He is still connected and knows what’s going on and talked about some different teams like Missouri getting hooked in with Anheuiser Busch for NIL. Oregon with obvious Nike connection. Arkansas is getting Walmart and Jerry Jones money. We’ve got to find some company with a state or Tech specific connection that is willing to pump $ into our athletic department. Home Depot, Coke, etc.
I agree, but then when you find out that these deep pocketed people had nieces, nephews, and grandkids who scored 1440 with a 3.5 GPA and 6 AP courses who were rejected by GT and are at UGA you’ll understand that just because Coke is across the street doesn’t mean a thing. GT long ago chose to sever ties with the state of Georgia to become an international school. This happens to every school that takes this route - Stanford, Cal, etc. Empty stadiums and the locals don’t care. Meanwhile the big state schools are seen as family and the dollars come flowing.

I agree, but then when you find out that these deep pocketed people had nieces, nephews, and grandkids who scored 1440 with a 3.5 GPA and 6 AP courses who were rejected by GT and are at UGA you’ll understand that just because Coke is across the street doesn’t mean a thing. GT long ago chose to sever ties with the state of Georgia to become an international school. This happens to every school that takes this route - Stanford, Cal, etc. Empty stadiums and the locals don’t care. Meanwhile the big state schools are seen as family and the dollars come flowing.
We severed ties with the state?

GT, like UGAY is a part of the University System of GA (along w/ Ga State, etc. and every public college in GA. There are only 4 schools currently meeting or exceeding their enrollment (UGAY and GT are two of them). A majority of our students come from in state and State formula funding based on enrollment flows to every institution. That's why the smaller 2nd tier colleges are basically throwing out admittance notifications to every HS senior in GA now who has minimum GPA to qualify as well as no SAT/ACT required. Schools live and die by this state funding which is dependent on enrollment. As far as $$ is concerned, you are correct in that that there are deep pockets (both alumni and not) that donate to UGAY's athletic program. Funds flows rarely ever occurs from the academic side to the athletic side. In UGAY's case it actually flows from the athletic side in some instances and projects at the school itself because they are flush with TV/athletics cash. Cabrera has made the commitment to do the reverse (funds from academics to athletics) which has never happened for GT. We are 'flush' with cash coming in on the academic side. GT does need to reach out to those alumni who are over and in the Fortune 500 companies to establish such partnerships to enrich our NIL. For years we talked about the arms race in recruiting. This is new and large facet of it. We need to leverage those aspects that we beat our chests about, and that is being over corporations, companies, etc and being either owners or leaders in the C-suites as GT alumni.

That doesn’t make any sense. Coke across the street is an international company. If your logic were true Coke would be a logical fit for Tech. You need to take a tour of the World Of Coca Cola if you don’t believe me.

Absolutely spot on.

That’s fine. We need our Phil Knight to step up and pay for athletics without giving AF about the academic side of things.

Absolutely we have severed plenty of ties in GA.

No “legacy” favoritism/appreciation/approach whatsoever. = empty seats
My oldest son got denied by Tech despite all A’s and well rounded extracurricular activities. Now he’s a happy second year band member at Auburn, and it looks like my second oldest is about to follow him.

My oldest son got denied by Tech despite all A’s and well rounded extracurricular activities. Now he’s a happy second year band member at Auburn, and it looks like my second oldest is about to follow him.
Probably more applications versus admissions than ever at Tech, to the point where admission is more of a crapshoot.

So much bingo.

I'll make it personal.

My daughter graduated HS four years ago with a 4.0 and had a 1530 SAT. Lots of extracurriculars - state Science Olympiad medals, robotics team, state cybersecurity team championship, school awards, honor society, etc. She applied to Georgia Tech for Computer Science.

She got wait-listed first, and then the "go-somewhere-else-for-a-year-before-we'll-take-you" letter.

So she went to Utah on an academic scholarship as a CS major with an emphasis on video game design (Utah has one of the top ranked CS video game design programs in the country - ranked higher than Tech's). She was actively recruited by Microsoft her freshman year there based solely on her Linked-In profile of her high school record - she didn't even have one grade at Utah yet. The exact same record on which the losers in GT's Admissions Office essentially rejected her. She interned for Big Bucks for four summers at Microsoft - the last two at the Redmond campus - and received a six figure job offer on graduation to join Microsoft as a computer scientist on their Minecraft video game team in Redmond, WA.

Microsost Recruiters - 1
GT Admission Flunkees - 0

But I'm sure they expanded the geographic diversity of their freshman class by rejecting another kid from Virginia and instead accepting someone from the Qinghai province in China or the Mawlynnong village in India.

Nice way to treat an alumnus legacy. öööö you very much. I was so pissed I nearly burned my diploma. Over time, I became less angry about it. But I still won't give them one red cent any more. Ever.

I'm sure my story is very far from unique. That's a lot of pissed off or at least alienated alumni. - and their families. For generations. A lot of folks not giving any money, supporting Tech athletics, etc.

I wonder if I would have even been accepted at Tech today. I was HS Valedictorian and Senior Class President and a letterman athlete, BUT my science courses were weak (didn't even take high school physics), I had no science extracurriculars of any kind, and my SAT was significantly lower than my daughter's. Yet somehow with those inferior credentials I still managed to graduate with a BEE With Highest Honors in the top ten in my class. And my daughter's 4.0, science extracurriculars, and 1530 got her a big öööö You.

I think the folks in GT's Admission Office are abject failures. YMMV.

Absolutely we have severed plenty of ties in GA.

No “legacy” favoritism/appreciation/approach whatsoever. = empty seats
More bingo.

Tech's loss - your sons' and Auburn's gain. Sadly, for Tech.

Probably more applications versus admissions than ever at Tech, to the point where admission is more of a crapshoot.
A more competent admmissions office would probably make it less of a crapshoot. Have you ever spoken with any of those folks? Ooofah! Not the best and brightest.

So, yeah. Tech's admissions office and their policies have undoubtedly helped drive a dagger though suport for Tech football - and all Tech athletics.

So much bingo.

I'll make it personal.

My daughter graduated HS four years ago with a 4.0 and had a 1530 SAT. Lots of extracurriculars - state Science Olympiad medals, robotics team, state cybersecurity team championship, school awards, honor society, etc. She applied to Georgia Tech for Computer Science.

She got wait-listed first, and then the "go-somewhere-else-for-a-year-before-we'll-take-you" letter.

So she went to Utah on an academic scholarship as a CS major with an emphasis on video game design (Utah has one of the top ranked CS video game design programs in the country - ranked higher than Tech's). She was actively recruited by Microsoft her freshman year there based solely on her Linked-In profile of her high school record - she didn't even have one grade at Utah yet. The exact same record on which the losers in GT's Admissions Office essentially rejected her. She interned for Big Bucks for four summers at Microsoft - the last two at the Redmond campus - and received a six figure job offer on graduation to join Microsoft as a computer scientist on their Minecraft video game team in Redmond, WA.

Microsost Recruiters - 1

But I'm sure they expanded the geographic diversity of their freshman class by rejecting another kid from Virginia and instead accepting someone from the Qinghai province in China or the Mawlynnong village in India.

Nice way to treat an alumnus legacy. öööö you very much. I was so pissed I nearly burned my diploma. Over time, I became less angry about it. But I still won't give them one red cent any more. Ever.

I'm sure my story is very far from unique. That's a lot of pissed off or at least alienated alumni. - and their families. For generations. A lot of folks not giving any money, supporting Tech athletics, etc.

I wonder if I would have even been accepted at Tech today. I was HS Valedictorian and Senior Class President and a letterman athlete, BUT my science courses were weak (didn't even take high school physics), I had no science extracurriculars of any kind, and my SAT was significantly lower than my daughter's. Yet somehow with those inferior credentials I still managed to graduate with a BEE With Highest Honors in the top ten in my class. And my daughter's 4.0, science extracurriculars, and 1530 got her a big öööö You.

More bingo.

A more competent admmissions office would probably make it less of a crapshoot. Have you ever spoken with any of those folks? Ooofah! Not the best and brightest.

So, yeah. Tech's admissions office and their policies have undoubtedly helped drive a dagger though suport for Tech football - and all Tech athletics.
Admissions is probably full of dwags that relish these kinds of decisions.

So much bingo.

I'll make it personal.

Microsost Recruiters - 1

More bingo.

If she was out of state this unfortunately makes sense. Even if you’re alumni it doesn’t matter in their application. They will only allow so many out of state kids due to USG’s mission. I know tons of in state kids with similar grades and SAT scores not getting in, especially kids from the big metro counties surrounding Atlanta. I also agree that we should be minimizing allowing foreign students (especially from countries hostile to the U.S.) for a whole host of reasons.

I have 2 students at Auburn as well; so yes, I have attended more Auburn football games than GT games the past couple of years. It was easy since what GT was fielding under the clown hardly resembled a football team.

So much bingo.

I'll make it personal.

Microsost Recruiters - 1

More bingo.

Pretty much. Son got the 'go somewhere else first letter' and then decided he liked somewhere else better, after I had been taking him to GT football games for years. He is out of school now doing research in hypersonics. I am pretty sure our admissions office is full of UGA grads; so yeah they are screwing us. It is way different at Auburn where you routinely run into 3rd & 4th generation students.

I have 2 students at Auburn as well; so yes, I have attended more Auburn football games than GT games the past couple of years. It was easy since what GT was fielding under the clown hardly resembled a football team.

I have a similar story and thankful to read about experiences of others. I’ve been fuming about this for 2 years, with my anger slowly residing. I’ve worn white and gold since the day I was born. The myopic rejection of our alumni children who have done everything right is inexcusable and absolutely a reason for the lethargic support of GT athletics.

As I stated before, Cabrera has his work cut out for him.

5 decades later and The Hill is still AFU? I’m shocked.

So much bingo.

I'll make it personal.

Microsost Recruiters - 1

More bingo.

This was the best part of your post: But I'm sure they expanded the geographic diversity of their freshman class by rejecting another kid from Virginia and instead accepting someone from the Qinghai province in China or the Mawlynnong village in India.

I'd add one of Chevy Chase's early SNL weekend update locations " near the province of Suk Muk Duk " - and this one still kills me...

I have a similar story and thankful to read about experiences of others. I’ve been fuming about this for 2 years, with my anger slowly residing. I’ve worn white and gold since the day I was born. The myopic rejection of our alumni children who have done everything right is inexcusable and absolutely a reason for the lethargic support of GT athletics.

As I stated before, Cabrera has his work cut out for him.

And let me make this perfectly clear. If my son (who I think had a 34 on the ACT) had been accepted at GT, I would have continued season tickets for the entire time he was there (4-5 years) because we could have visited him and gone to the game in the same trip.

Back