What is the point of being UGA's b*tch 90% of the time?

Dirty Jacket

Never Weaken
Eventually, it's going to go to four super-conferences. IMO, The Big 12 and the AAC will get plundered and die out. If it does go to a four super conference field, that will be 64 spots.
WEST (PAC16)
Arizona
Arizona State
California
Colorado
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Oregon
Oregon State
Southern California
Stanford
Texas
Texas Tech
UCLA
Utah
Washington
Washington St.

MIDWEST (BIG10)
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State
Maryland
Michigan
Michigan State
Minnesota
Missouri
Nebraska
Ohio State
Penn State
Purdue
Wisconsin

SOUTHEAST (SEC)
Alabama
Arkansas
Auburn
Florida
Georgia
Georgia Tech
Kentucky
LSU
Mississippi
Mississippi State
South Carolina
South Florida
TCU
Tennessee
Texas A&M
Vanderbilt

EAST COAST (ACC)
Boston College
Central Florida
Clemson
Connecticut
Duke
Florida State
Louisville
Maryland
Miami (Fla.)
North Carolina
NC State
Pittsburgh
Syracuse
Virginia
Virginia Tech
West Virginia

Independents:
Air Force
Army
BYU
Navy
Notre Dame
Your cocaine is showing

ee8384

Affable Curmudgeon
I’ve thought about it before but isn’t the point to build a program that can compete for national and conference championship? Do you think by not playing georgia and adding a win every year that we would become a better program?
Yes. HS recruits care about your W/L record and which bowls you go to. An extra loss that makes you 7-5 instead of 8-4 and puts you in the Shreveport Bowl instead of the Citrus Bowl (or Camping World or whatever the Orlando bowl is) hurts recruiting. Having your rival saying they beat you 80% of the time hurts your backyard recruiting. Weak recruiting is the #1 reason (excuse) given on the board for the team's annual performance.

Dcgt4542

Varsity Lurker
As a sidewalk fan I have always had half of the ingredients to be an all in fan. I love football. Always have. I learned to love GT. My question- if you love GT but not football can you learn the other half of the all in formula? What can GT do to fill in this side of the equation? Can it be done in a timely manner? I believe this is much harder- so much harder. My point is that to be an all in program you require a passionate and demanding fan base as part of your DNA. We simply do not have it in numbers to drive change. Or at least in a timely manner while we watch programs with both sides of the equation get stronger. I even question how many of our grads love GT? Really love it and desire to be connected? I have no idea or barameter other than my personal experience literally begging GT grads to join me at a game and tailgate. As always I am interested in feedback- good bad, harsh or not. The fact we are here means we have not thrown in the towel and likely are part of a unique and diminishing band that lives football and GT

THWG

Ptjackets

Varsity Lurker
I’ve hear people talking about more money how does that help Recruitment unless were going to pay them

18in32

Petard Hoister
Man, if you can't understand that adding 3-4 wins every decade by playing someone else wouldn't help the Institute then I can't help you.
Who exactly would be playing? Because now when we beat UGA its over a Top 25 team typically. Dropping this game and adding USF or UCF or whomever makes the victories (though there are more of them) less valuable.

18in32

Petard Hoister
I’ve hear people talking about more money how does that help Recruitment unless were going to pay them
Seriously? Right off the bat, more money means more staff to evaluate recruits. This is especially important for a program like ours which can't get the obvious great players and has to find the overlooked 'diamonds in the rough.' It means better facilities, which is one of the key ways that players are 'rewarded' for their effort and sacrifice. Good recruits understandably want to play where their effort is going to be appreciated.

floridajacket

The Real DB Cooper
How many Big Six/Power Five OOC rivalry games can you name that are still active? I'll give you a head start:

GT/UGAg
Clemson/USCe
FL/FSU
USC/ND
UK/UL
FSU/Miami

Still alive in conference (partial list):
Auburn/Bama
USC/UCLA
Wash/Wash St
Oregon/Oregon St
AZ/ASU
TX/OU
OU/OSU
GT/Clemson
Ole Miss/MSU
MI/OSU
MI/MSU
UNC/NCSU
UVA/VT

Dead:
NEB/OK
Pitt/PSU
TX/AR
TX/TAMU

Whole lotta noise about nothing. Certainly less than 10 games involved and probably as many old traditional rivalries already disbanded.
NE/OK and TX/AR aren't between the two big schools of a single state. So among 8 OOC intrastate rivalries, 6 are still played every year. Every single intrastate, in-conference rivalry also plays every year even after conferences expand.

I also don't know what you guys are hoping for by giving up on UGA. If we give up on UGA, then we're probably not going to win the ACC either. So we play some Sun Belt or MAC school instead of UGA to then go maybe 8-4 instead of 7-5 this year? At best, we will be in a bit better shape for the ACC title game.

floridajacket

The Real DB Cooper
Tech vs. UGA by decade:

60s: 4-6
70s: 3-7
80s: 3-7
90s: 3-7
00s: 2-8
10s: 2-7
So 3-8 is generally our average in modern times.

I just don't get making the single, unitary goal of our college football program winning the conference and hoping to win 4 easy OOC games. I don't generally like the "settle for mediocrity" arguments, but I don't want to just give up and go home either.

18in32

Petard Hoister
So 3-8 is generally our average in modern times.

I just don't get making the single, unitary goal of our college football program winning the conference and hoping to win 4 easy OOC games. I don't generally like the "settle for mediocrity" arguments, but I don't want to just give up and go home either.
I don't think we've ever averaged 3-8 vs. UGA in a decade.

southendzoneBEE

Gailey-Like
Hey, you guys are beating the öööö out if us 8/10 years, causing our coaches to be fired one after another. We are gonna drop the series in hopes of getting better that way. Because you know, a program is only as good as the teams they quit playing because of how bad they consistently lose to them.

Sorry, but this isn't the way I want the series to end. Georgia wants It to end for the opposite reason, but at the end of the day we would be the biggest pussies to drop this game. Plus, isn't it scheduled for the next 30 years?